Card Synergies and tips

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Bandreus, Oct 10, 2013.

1. jubenei

jubenei Mushroom Warrior

This is kind of a drawback synergy its on Advanced Toughness. You get attacked, block something with Jarring Block and prevent the damage from that with Toughness. So basicly you loose both defensiv cards on one attack. And the other thing is the way frenzy changed. Once you cast mass frenzy first and then unholy frenzy it deals 2 damage instead of 1.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  2. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

Surestrike Blessing + Sundering Strike.
    Nonsensical you say?
    Not if you cast the blessing on the enemy. If you see or feel a sundering coming, you might be able to save your reliable mail, your polearm slash, whatever armor you dont wanna part with.
    I realized this the hard way, hitting a dwarf with unblockable sundering, only to find out an attack later that his whole hand consisted of all kinds of armor, all but toughness.

3. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

Curse Of Fragility + Fire Spells + Instant Burn.
    Since this isn't on the thread yet, I'd like to mention it. Fire spells trigger the curse twice, and Instant Burn will make it trigger even more times.

Leadership + Officer's Harness and Dead Cards (e.g. Parry versus wizards, Slowed, Unreliable Block).
    Officer's Harness is brilliant card stock for Leadership. Since it carries over each round for free, you can use Leadership to change it to an attack card or block as needed. It has the same effect as an Inspiration or Demonic Power if used right. Also, if you're running a lot of dead cards or lots of situationally dead cards (such as Parry), Leadership might be a good idea.

4. HisRoyalHygiene

HisRoyalHygiene Guild Leader

No one has mentioned Elven Maneuvers and step attacks yet. I'm sure that's because everyone knows it but for any new players reading this...

5. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

6. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

The "thread only"-search didn't bring forth any results, so lets mention the constellation Wimpy, control and fire magic and the everpresent Martyr Blessing and Elven Maneuvers.

Wimpy will reduce any damaging attack by 2, so Gusts Of War and Winds Of War are damageless and wont trigger card draws.
    Same goes for most fire spells, e.g. Glob Of Flame, they don't do any direct damage while the burning stays untouched.
    [without wimpy, you could cast an Armor Of Faith on the enemy for a similar one time effect]

This can be very useful to deal with or even overwrite the powerful Martyr Blessing and Elven Maneuvers.
    Sparkling Cloth Armor needs to let pass damage as well to take effect, so your chances to shove the one wearing it around without its interference are the same as with telekinesis.

7. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

The problem with Wimpy is that (aside from non-wizard items) it is only available on human skills, and hence you can only have 1 copy in your (human) wizard's deck. I.e. drawing it vs the right opponent and at exactly the right time is going to be a tad unreliable.

Armor Of Faith, I think, is a great alternative, though difficult to stack a deck with without making your priest largely useless, overall.

That being said though, these are a nice combo-s and worth being mentioned. Definitely worth remembering about in times of dire need. I do not think this was ever posted before too, if my memory serves me well.

8. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

Battlefield training control wiz -> Wimpy warrior -> profit.

Something only humans can do? I'll buy that for a dollar. No seriously, i just try to shed new light on wimpy, its not only bearable for a human utility and control mage, it can even be a positive presence. That utility mage will be a happy one with Perfect Guidance. Didnt know broad appliance was a requirement to discuss cards and their synergies.

9. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

I was just mentioning the fact this likely isn't a synergy you can reliably exploit, for a number of reason, without any intent of dismissing it. There's a lot of value in knowing "what's possible", but there's value in knowing "what's practically usable/reliable/useful" too. Ofc smart players can turn what's seemingly impractical into solid strategies, at times, so I'm not advocating against it either.

And, by the way, you can't pass Wimpy (or any other trait, for the matter) around via battlefield training. Never mind, somehow I did read that the other way around :) I do see what you meant, and now that I think of it that's actually something actually achievable

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  10. gulo gulo

gulo gulo Guild Leader

I actually thought about wimpy with GoW/WoW as a great way to fight against Maneuvers. However, I couldn't seem to find enough to stack into my decks. It's entirely possible I was looking for too many of them, however.

11. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Just stack Stone Feet instead and give Armor 1 to your enemies. Problem solved. ;)

12. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

^ Attention, irony!

So this borderline bug thing happened:
    Elven Maneuvers is on, elf gets hit and among the discards is Toughened Hide Strips. The 2 hp recovery are granted.

Edit: The entry mentioned below reminded me, seems the same "on the fly" healing effect occurs when Pathfinding skips over the Toughened Hide Strips.

Edit 2: I guess immediate discard when using Inspirational Thinking does the same.

Edit 3: And Dropped Guard, ofc, but this is more about the mentioned "deck search discard".

Edit 4: Another way to get the 2hp discard heal on the fly is a blocked Clumsy Chop.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    ParodyKnaveBob and Bandreus like this.
  13. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Will also happen if it's discarded by perplexing ray(s) or armor removal. It heals if it's discarded in any fashion. I should probably add a faq entry for it.

14. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

There was some discussion of Boosted Heal, but not its interaction with self-damaging traits Demonic Revenge / Traveling Curse / Ouch / Loner.
    Theres a slim chance to get some hp back when those pop up and you already got a boosted heal in your hand.

15. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

Servers are deeaaad!
    Might as well mention a thing or two about the new EttSC-Cards off the top of my head.

Once you got Cushioning Armor, you don't have to worry about damage getting hightened over the 5 limit by traits like Vulnerable, Squishy, Vegetable Parts or Fragile Curse (i suppose), the armor enforces the limit as long the damage doesnt ignore armor.

Some laser malfunctions got an upside - Drained Battery, Battery Explosion or even the dreaded Meltdown come with cantrip, so if you are very desperate to regain initative at the end of the round, consider spending that laser card (last).

16. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

This one is a bit complicated - Fright can make you keep Laser Spray a round or till fright goes off, a Cowardly in the meantime can make you discard that laser spray. I assume battery explosion and meltdown behave similar.
    By the way, Battery Explosion can be Ducked - which can lead to hilarious outcomes when the one ducking it has savage curse on and stands in midst of his team.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  17. Kerensky

Kerensky Orc Soldier

Wait a minute, you can put stone feet on the enemy and they can't move at all for duration 3?

18. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

No. The Card doesnt mind the caster, it protects the one it is attached to against enemy attempts of control.

19. Kerensky

Kerensky Orc Soldier

Okay that makes more sense and seems less broken.

20. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Battery Explosion and Meltdown are handicaps, not attack cards, so Fright/Cowardly should not affect them.

ParodyKnaveBob and doog37 like this.