Aloyzo's Arsenal Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Flaxative, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    Mama Mia, Maniafig, CT5 and 4 others like this.
  2. Vakaz

Vakaz Guild Leader

Are there any particular criteria the items will be judged by? You mentioned that certain months may have restrictions, and I could see those acting like criteria, but what about in general?

And if there are, can we include an explanation in our submissions to why we think it would be a good item to add to the game, or should we let them "speak for themselves"?

(also this is an awesome idea, I'm looking forward to seeing what types of stuff the community can bring to the table :))

Pawndawan, visak13 and Xayrn like this.
  3. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Great questions!

There are a few more objective factors, and a few more subjective factors.

Objective Factors
    1. Do the cards belong on the item slot?
    2. Does the item have all the cards types it needs to have? (e.g. shields need blocks or reactions; divine weapons generally need a mix of attacks and assists)
    3. Is a card legal but out of place designwise? (robes shouldn't have high-armor cards)
    4. probably some others, I'll add as I think of them

Subjective Factors
    1. Is it too strong?
    2. Is it too weak?
    3. Do I like it?
    Good design is more art than science.

I'd rather submissions not be accompanied with explanations of why they're good for the game. If your submission is good for the game, I'll probably see its value. (Also, if it has a bajillion likes I might figure out that people want it in the game.)

4. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I guess, to add to that, I'm especially interested in items that enable new synergies with existing cards, bolster underplayed archetypes, etc..

5. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Do the cards have to appear on existing items of that type, or can we go by what slots the card database says are allowed? In particular, I really want to see some Martial Skills with Handicap cards, because right now there aren't any. The database says Trip, Ouch!, and Wimpy are allowed.

6. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

As I write in the original post:

You can submit something that defies this, just know it's not likely to be accepted.

7. Kerensky

Kerensky Orc Soldier

Cool stuff!

Considering there are no marital skills with black cards, my choice was risky by default!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    progammer and Flaxative like this.
  8. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Popping in to say that there is a dedicated search form for searching the wiki's items from here. Hope it helps.

Pawndawan and Flaxative like this.
  9. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

It's not bad to take risks... but if you're too silly about it your item will never be chosen — generally speaking ;)

10. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

This is a great idea. One new item + Mouve Manticore issue each month?

Hell yeah, you're doing it right, Blue Manchu!

Edit: thought I'd leave a suggestion while I'm at it. If at all possible, add a new set exclusively for these items. The new set might be "Aloyzo's Arsenal".

Not only that would help people identify where the exotic new items are coming from. Since the Steam Achievements for collecting items are based on the various sets (basic, AoA, EttSC) that'd also make it so you missing items made by Aloyzo wouldn't get in the way of getting those achievements.

11. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

What a wonderful idea! Seeing that July is almost over, is the first submission open through the whole August?

Are the planned updates towards the end of the month?

What about item names and illustration? Is new item art budgeted or are all AA items recoloured old items? Should item names reflect to this? Can we wish / make suggestions about existing item art recolours?

12. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

While @Flaxative will likely reply to this himself, I'm leaning towards thinking BM has a whole slew of item-art (various designs, each in multiple colors) ready to use if need arises.

Alternatively, they might either re-use the icon of some other item (not ideal, but we do have a few different items sharing the same icon already), or commission more art work as needed.

13. Accent

Accent Hydra

Hmm. Underplayed archetypes.

Since the Dodge nerf, I've seen much less of that. It would synchronize well with Forward Thinking, although all the human skills with that only have 1x of that. Maybe a skill with 2x Forward Thinking?

Warrior archetype we rarely see is a Chopping warrior, but that would be due to opponent positioning, so it would require new cards. Unless you're going to add a martial skill with Slicer and Barge, maybe.

Ice wizards seem to have gotten a boost with Cooling Laser, so probably nothing there. Maybe a really mobile wizard, a staff with lots of Surging Blasts and Surging Bolts? Then elf wizards might be more viable, if they could pull attacks with Elven Maneuvers.

For priests, we have buffing priests and draw priests, vamps, and now (potentially) burfft priests? I'm not sure I see too many divine skills or items to add. A de-buffer, maybe? But Mind Worm is pretty weak, radiation is random, Entangling Roots is (relatively) appropriately costed (and everywhere). Hmmm.

14. Mr. Magnifico

Mr. Magnifico Thaumaturge

Last night I had an idea just as I was drifting off and was too sleepy to rouse myself to submit it, so this morning I woke up with the holy fire in me and leapt to my computer first thing to post it. After a walk, a cup of strong coffee, and mature reflection, I have arrived at the following set of, well, I wouldn't call them protips. Amateur tips, maybe?

1. Notice that there is a thread discussing submission guidelines (this one right here) and read it before posting your suggestion, so you can avoid including features that will make your entry unlikely to be accepted.

2. The AA submission thread is likely to be very popular. After reading the first page, check for additional pages before posting your entry, as the gist of your idea might already have been ninja'd. :oops:

3. Realize that if you win, the item you proposed will be given to you. So although a "huh, I didn't realize that wasn't in the game already" Common or Uncommon sort of item gets major points for plausibility and not being ridiculously overpowered, it will also be pretty easy to get even if somebody else proposes it. What you want to do is swing for the fences and propose a "wow! I wish I had one of those!" item. Epic or Legendary might be pushing it, but there's a lot you can do with a soild Rare.

3a. In order to make sure that the item you're proposing lands at Rare, it's probably a good idea to learn the secret card quality voodoo that Blue Manchu uses to calculate an item's level, token cost, and rarity. I don't know if it's posted officially anywhere, but ordinary civilians seem to know about it and would probably explain it to you or link you to the appropriate resources if you ask nicely.

Christofff and Pawndawan like this.
  15. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Thanks =)

Alozyo's Arsenal will be a set of its own, yes. ;)

No, they should be in the middle of August. (One month after Citadel release, give or take a couple weeks). Submissions won't be open that long this time around, but I'll start AA#2 as soon as I close AA#1 so going forward every contest will be open roughly a whole month.

There won't be new item art from Ben (at this point). AA items will be recolors or other tweaks done by yours truly. Item names should sell the item concept. Again I point out that Aloyzo can't guarantee the item keep its requested name. I'm on the fence about receiving suggestions on item art, I think for this month maybe not, so we can keep things simpler for now.

FWIW Chops are always going to be better in SP than MP. I don't expect AA to change this. That said, not all AA submissions need to be MP-oriented.

Would be cool if someone like @neoncat or @Xayrn or someone could do up a "Level & Rarity Calculator Tool" or something where you input cards & slot and it gives you level & rarity. I'd do it myself but I don't have time right now. If no one else does it I might go for it next month.

16. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

PSA: I will be deleting posts in the submissions thread that aren't submissions, and I will be warning you to modify your submissions if they break the rules (e.g. multiple subs).

17. Accent

Accent Hydra

Oh, for sure. I was just thinking that you can make not-100% optimal builds win in SP consistently, but less so in MP.

I'm just hoping to see more playable items with Traveling Curse.

18. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

19. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Maybe Aloyzo's the one behind those goofy holiday items...

20. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

Could an item from the previous submission be used in the next?
    And could players re-post their idea if they really like it? (if you chose an item it doesnt mean that the others are bad, right? ;))

PiranF likes this.