New Player FAQ

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by DunDunDun, Jul 13, 2015.

1. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Right. My friend joined league, which forced him out of party without confirmation prompt.
    I then got booted from the adventure without loot.
    I noticed it wasn't exhausted, so reran it and got loot.

Though I can't say for sure if I ended up co-oping or soloing it, I think the latter.

2. BlackVoidDeath

BlackVoidDeath Guild Leader

I just started reading through the first post (yes I have done so yet)
    I didnt know that! and I have been playing for over a year (this is probably because I finished the campaign before even entering the MP lobby - all that time alone in cardhunter with that looming red "Multiplayer" button in the top left corner... :))
    No but yea this is a good forum, and I guess it is more like a way to help noobs begin rather than @Scarponi 's encyclopedia :p

3. BlackVoidDeath

Your friend or your teammate (both)
    So... you did complete the adventure, fully, and was looking at the enchanted chest but didnt open it, then you got booted from the adventure, and the adventure DIDNT have a sandglass on top of it? - then you played it again (co-op or not it doesnt matter) and still got enchanted loot?
    This gives me an idea - maybe if you played the LF co-op and got enchanted loot and then played it again, alone, do you get another set of enchanted loot?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  4. BlackVoidDeath

Tested, found: negative. (no it doesnt give extra loot if you play it again alone (and/or co-op - as we tested this morning))

5. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

I coulda answered that for you :p
    Fairy only cares if the adventure is exhausted or not, not how you run it.
    So there's no way to dupe it, ever.

And yeah, didn't open the chest, got booted before the adventure counted as completed.

6. BlackVoidDeath

Those are two opposite points, which one is right? - WHEN YOU FINISH THE LAST ADVENTURE IF COUNTS AS EXHAUSTED - because if it didnt then it would be too easy to exploit leveling for characters - as this forum says: if the adventure is not exhausted it gives more xp when it is exhausted then you get less xp so all you would need to do is not collect the chest and still get xp for the characters on an easy adventure, then replay until you have your character at a right level. - like I said I have tested this on myself - I wish it was as you say it is but unfortunately its not. :(

7. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Oh, XP farming?
    I wouldn't know.
    Seems like a lot of hassle for something that's really quick and easy to do. :/

8. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Is it possible that both of you are describing your experience correctly, but it may be a difference if you were the team leader or not?

9. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Perhaps. In my usual sense, I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the point in general. Doesn't help that BVD often clumps their text together, and my cognitive dyslexia makes a mess of it ;P

In any case, I was party leader in both circumstances where [having the chain progress get set back to unset] occurred, once in a party of 2, and once in a party of 3.

The first was at level, but I THINK I didn't actually retain any xp for it after it unset; the latter was using an over-level character.

BlackVoidDeath likes this.
  10. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Looks great!

DunDunDun likes this.
  11. BlackVoidDeath

It happened to me twice with the same outcomes - I was a party leader in 1 supporting a team of 2 (me and another player) and in the other case I was not the party leader and in a team of 2.
    Dont understand what you mean

12. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

We all knew I was special :p

Compare how you format text to how I format it.
    I use a lot of spaces between paragraphs, and tend to end-line after a single sentence.
    It makes it a lot easier to read the text, for people that blend words together.

Your words all kinda run together :D

Wasn't even picking at you to change it, just noting it's difficult for me to read text that isn't formatted very cleanly.

13. BlackVoidDeath

Ok, I will try to make it more clean.

DunDunDun likes this.
  14. KiraNis

KiraNis Kobold

Maybe an explanation that going over an items level with your renown doesn't raise the price.

and add that chests are a great option if you want more items quick seriously 5 items a chest even the gold chests will fill up a new players inventory fast with a good item or two that will help their progression which in turn unlocks more progression and more missions

1 mission = 50 pizza and about idk ballpark 12 items? 2 chests 25 each epic 8 items or 8 chests 5 pizza each 40 items.
    Also buying the basic edition gives them all to you anyway so your actually wasting pizza if you buy an adventure and get the pack later since they don't refund.

15. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Please try and note the sections you want edited, makes it easier on me. I'll scan through and check the phrasing in a bit.

We do discuss in chat that chests are a decent option for new players, but even then, we limit our favor to gold-purchase chests. Pizza-based chests are such a pizza drain that they're really only recommended for people planning on buying excess pizza to spend on them.

You can repeat missions.
    I.. can't follow that math at all, but suffice it to say that players highly disfavor pizza chests, especially with gold chests coming so easy from leagues.

The devs typically refund pizza spent on any tutorial-prompted element, misclick purchases , or any element you later purchase again in a bundle.

Your statement is incorrect :)

Though, I never recommended buying individual adventures in the first place, so not sure what point you're trying to make :)

16. KiraNis

KiraNis Kobold

Dunno how to do that sorry?

Basically my poorly explained math says on average buying chest gets you better items on average then buying a adventure.
    which might be repeatable but so is every other mission why buy it with pizza unless the reward item it gives is exceptional?

Only if you know to ask and where to do so I already made an argument in game aginst the expected meta to goto an unofficial cardhunter site to sign up a guild the average player won't think to ask for a refund even if they do unless it's automatic like that then you can't argue for it even if on average the devs are awesome and will

it's not stated anywhere so in the mind of the average player it doesin't exist.

Also you did

and I quote

Treasure Hunts (expansion content) is a must if you're a PvE-focused player- solely for the sake of being able to freely enjoy the intriguing expansion content. Of course, you can let someone else host a treasure hunt for you in co-op- but you won't benefit from any loot boosts in adventures you don't yourself own. Treasure Hunts are one of the two things you can only unlock with pizza, putting them high on the list.

17. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Yep
    I don't see them as a must, and I'm something of a PvE focused player. I just see them as available. Some I like, some I don't. I expect many other players will feel the same, but the ones we like will probably differ.

It should be noted that the Loot Fairy and Hidden Bandit may be located in treasure hunts. Each adventure has an equal chance.

Treasure hunt maps and monster lists can be viewed in the wiki. If you're undecided, you can co-op them before you buy.

18. KiraNis

KiraNis Kobold

I agree with you I was quoting the first page text that kobold put up.

19. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

And I'm agreeing with you. Sort of. I think KB is calling it as he sees it, but it sounds kind of like a sales pitch for BM. If all the treasure hunts are worth to you is the guaranteed reward, you probably shouldn't buy them. You compared them to pizza chests, but let me say this plainly: Pizza Chests Are A Bad Deal. At least for the frugal. If you play, gold is easy to get. Entering a league for 50 gold will get you 3 gold chests. If you get placed in the right pod, 1 win can get you an epic chest. (And please don't stress over QD - it's not worth it. ;) )

I bought all the treasure hunts to support the game, because if no one spends money on the game it will go away. Whether players choose to spend money on the game is up to them, and treasure hunts are only one way of doing it. That being said, there are treasure hunts I enjoy playing (and play a lot), and those I don't. I mentioned co-op, but I should have mentioned the test server: test.cardhunter.com.

If you create an account on the test server you can use the cheat codes in the F2 console to:
    - Get free gold
    - Get free pizza
    - Set character level
    - Get as many of every item as you want

You can't buy the bundles (without a PayPal sandbox account), but you can buy all the treasure hunts and figures with pizza. You'll still have to play the tutorial and advance through the game to unlock adventures, but if you max your character levels and have every item available, it doesn't take long. (It isn't much fun for me without the loot chase, but that's not the point of this exercise.) You can then play all the treasure hunts and decide which, if any, you want to buy.

If you do this, you'll also be able to test new builds as they are posted, and provide feedback. Providing good feedback can get you invited to test new expansions prior to release, which may involve pizza rewards.

The Frugal Pensioner's Guide to Spending Pizza
    1. Buy the treasure hunts you actually want to play. If you want the whole set, buy it as a set.
    2. When a legendary item you really want drops in the club slot, buy a one week membership and play like the dickens for the next seven days.
    3. Take a break if you need to, then repeat step 2.

Melancthon, Kalin and Mr. Magnifico like this.
  20. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

Worth noting, I can't understand a thing KiraNis is saying, since I 'read' via image-based association, so the lack of proper grammar means it's fundamentally in an unknown foreign anguage for me :/
    If you'd care to translate, Veza.

Also, I haven't called anything 'like I see it'. The entire post is a compilation of weeks of in-game surveying and discussion, further supported by the same impressions given by players for the months preceding.

My phrasing can often be a bit confusing- for reasons related to my first comment in this post- and I'm always glad to hear advice in that regard.

But as far as your comments, you all seem to be arguing loot/return value, and the only thing detailed in the OP is- and you quoted this- that single player content gives more content to run through, which is crucial to any PvE-oriented player. That's objective, though the value of it itself certainly isn't.
    It's as simple as 'if you like ice cream, more ice cream is good' though 'if you don't like strawberry ice cream, this particular ice cream may not be for you' still applies.

If I can make that phrasing clearer, let me know how.

Also, you don't need to use the test server to run locked adventures, you can just find someone to host them in co-op.
    At the very least you'll be getting standard chest rewards per map completed, that way.
    Really a matter of which approach you prefer.