[SUGGESTION] - New 'Pure' Keyword and Potential Applications to Elven Maneuvers & Radiation Effects

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Xayrn, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Xayrn

Xayrn Hydra

Pure - Card is of only one type.

Potential uses include but are not limited to:
    • Elven Maneuvers - When you take damage from an enemy card, draw a card. Discard that card unless it is a Pure Move card. Repeat until you have drawn a Pure Move card or drawn six cards.
    • Radiation Effects - Create a random Pure Handicap card and attach it to the target.
    The first one is because Elven Maneuvers is blatantly overpowered. The second one is because I've had opponents attach Blind Rage to my warriors with radiation, which probably isn't what they had in mind when they read handicap.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
    timeracers likes this.
  2. The first point I'm not a big fan of, but I can see where you are coming from. But then how would elven warriors remain competitive against the other races? As great as Cushioning Armor and Adaptable (or even Force Field) are at helping keep characters alive, you need to be dealing damage to win with an elf warrior.

I could see the second point being added, but I honestly think it's hilarious to think that your opponent thinks that they are going to debuff your warrior with a Cowardly or a Vulnerable or a Wimpy while they hand you a nice boost to your attack strength.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  3. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

Elf warriors were viable even before elven manoeuvres. I'd be happy to see that card nerfed. I feel like there's a heap of interesting elf traits that are completely overshadowed by cautious mobility. The power of elven manoeuvres reduces the variety of elf builds. :(

That said, I don't mind that radiation effects aren't always negative; and I'd probably rather have see elven manoeuvres have a reduced draw limit rather than restricted to only 'pure' move cards. (It's pretty rare to have more than a couple of pure move cards in the whole deck).

4. haho

haho Orc Soldier

your solution is strange. why nerf a card to make others seem better? why not buff some of the other cards and bring it up to par with the ones you think are better?

5. Accent

Accent Hydra

Agreed. I got Massive Chop a few times, that was certainly welcome.

Sir Veza likes this.
  6. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I don't favor a Pure keyword, but I believe Elven Maneuvers is overpowered. If nerfed (in a manner similar to Altruism) for draws on a 3 or better, it would still be highly played and very playable. Just not automatic.
    This might help them understand what handicaps are a bit better. I prefer the mix; a few may be helpful, some will be harmful, some won't matter unless they push off an important attachment. Even Blind Rage can harm or kill the recipient.

7. RedPower

RedPower Kobold

While Elven Maneuvers is certainly strong, I believe this biggest culprit is the fact that a card called Cautious Mobility has 2 of them for 0 token cost...

Also, it is only strong on one type of build. I don't get any rage from Priests and/or Wizards using this card.

P.S. I don't use warriors.

P.S.S. Elvish Insight is even more broken. Slippery is quasi broken as well. If they were on tokenless racial traits, I would use them over Mobility any day due to RNG. That may indicate that Cautious Mobility is actually Silver or Gold level...

DunDunDun likes this.
  8. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Because we still need Surging Fireball and Lunging Nimbus.

Maniafig, Pawndawan, CT5 and 6 others like this.
  9. DunDunDun

DunDunDun Thaumaturge

There are balance issues with Elven Mobility, but your approach is nonsensical.
    You want to remove a legitimate, fun gameplay synergy, making gameplay more generic.

A much easier approach would be simply to have Elven Mobility changed to only make one draw attempt instead of the three it currently does, thus preventing Bejeweled styled builds.

Geesh.
    No, I love the game for its unusual synergies, the vampires and the maneuvers. I want to see more of it, not less.
    No, I don't care if the current synergies are balanced to be worse, it's the play-style that appeals, not any sense of power (or lack thereof).

Besides, there are so many blatantly overpowered cards in the game- Parry, though intentional, to Nimbus- though that has purge as a counter- and so forth.

Everything is based around power and counter..

So, lets see, what's the counter to Elven Maneuvers?
    'Halt', right?
    Lets add more cards with that.

How about my suggestion to add Trip as an effect that Laser Whip grants?
    There you go, that's one anti-elf attack: Making their strongest point into their weakest, potentially wasting all their remaining step attacks in hand.

Lets talk depth and complexity, not genericization. :mad:

10. Vakaz

Vakaz Guild Leader

I disagree with your first point. (IMO) Elf warriors were very weak before Attack of the Artifacts. That's why they got so many crazy new items in that expansion. While you're definitely right in saying that cautious mobility completely overshadows every other elf skill, nerfing it would likely put them back down with the poor elf wizards and clerics. It's probably not a good idea unless it was part of a larger balancing effort.

DunDunDun and Xayrn like this.
  11. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Blind Rage and radiation interaction is WAI. And if your opponent doesn't like attaching Blind Rage to you, they're probably not running enough Accelerate Times.

Accent and Sir Veza like this.