Challenge - The Nudie Run

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Farbs, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

That's how I do it. For the record, I've never made it all the way through.

2. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

Jacques, congrats I must admit I'm kinda jealous.

I want proof. Can we see a vid nex time you complete a nudie run with lvl 1 characters?

As others mentioned, would love to see a game implemented based on this. Not sure how difficult it is to program, bt what about if completing "Nudie Mode", unlocks a sweet reward room?

Say, two epic chests and a rare?

Or, a sweet once-weekly item shop in the vein of Randimars but with less legendary items and/or epics?

I like the latter option, as it would encourage players to do this mode just once-a-week. The items would ofc be different for each person.

Maybe, the items you unlock are based on the type of characters you used in the run. Although ofc this might mean less chance of elves items.

Gotta go the sun is rising
    Christoff the cautious

3. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

I'd also like to see this implemented as a built-in feature of the game. Using self-imposed rules is alright, but there's always a greater sense of legitimate achievement when the game itself enforces the rules. And it would be nice to have some additional prizes too. Ordinary firestorm farming is far more profitable than doing challenges like this one, which is a shame, because these challenges are much more fun!

One option would be to slightly increase the chance of higher rarity items in this mode, and then just let players keep whatever they find. Another option is just to add one (common) item to every chest... But both of those options have the downside that it would add a lot of low-level items, but not high level items, because getting to the higher levels is much harder.

I don't think the particular nature of the prizes matters much. I just think it would be cool to have an official mode like this, with some kind of added loot.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    ArnieBear and Pawndawan like this.
  4. ClanCrusher

ClanCrusher Hydra

So...anyone feel confident enough in their awesome running skills to try for a level 18 module victory? :D

Christofff and Flaxative like this.
  5. Killer74

Killer74 Hydra

This is great fun. First two runs got up to 13,14 (original rules, party level 1), and then on the third run got two useful legendaries (Unholy Nimbus and Staff Of The Misanthrope (although I had a minor setback in finding the Bandit(my first one, UURR)), and was feeling confident about finishing it when I managed to foolishly lose on Garnet Demon Portal.

The tokens are kind of hard to juggle (at least from level 1), if you want to equip a new item you have to drop another if you don't have enough. One also can't really go for anything approaching a specific build, unless you are very lucky.

ArnieBear likes this.
  6. Getorix

Getorix Orc Soldier

I'd like to see an official + mode that functions like this, letting you replay the campaign with a party that has no access to your main stash of cards and giving you chests or renown along the way.

7. ArnieBear

ArnieBear War Monkey

This is such a fun challenge - I made it to the second module of the tomb of tverius (lvl12) - where the armored skeletons just tore me to shreds.

The challenge so much depends on drops (obviously) but it gives a new and real appreciation of cards I don't often pay much attention too

would love to see an official challenge made of this

8. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Yep, we need a sandbox mode.

ArnieBear likes this.
  9. Killer74

Killer74 Hydra

Got up to Lair of the Yellow Dragon (original rules, party level 1) then got my butt kicked by that stupid Ogre Magicker. This time I was using all dwarves(1,1,1); makes it much easier, the extra health is well worth the extra movement and racial skills (only got one dwarf skill). As you get towards the end, you miss out on quite a few items due to the upgrade to major power tokens (missed out on a Staff Of The Fire God for my fire-based wizard). The wizard was holding everything together with his firestorms, but the arcane damage was too much for him.
    For anyone curious as to my deck:
    Rikvarn
    Level 15 Dwarf Warrior

Stokurk
    Level 15 Dwarf Priest

Thrundthag
    Level 15 Dwarf Wizard

Sir Veza and Farbs like this.
  10. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

You could also make the nudie run a feature for only those who buy the basic package.

And when nudie run is first completed, you will win the item: birthday suit :)

tolkien and ArnieBear like this.
  11. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

If we get an official Nudie Run mode, is there a concensus as to whether the characters should be 1st level or previously leveled up? I usually buy 3, then delete them at the end of the run. Newly started 1st levels will never catch up in levels, and tend to have a lot of wasted drops at low levels because they don't have slots for the items yet. They start with smaller decks, which probably helps at low levels, but it's not the low levels where I get slaughtered.
    Two Nudie modes, maybe? Any thoughts?

ArnieBear likes this.
  12. Killer74

Killer74 Hydra

Managed to finish it, (after a few bad runs) picking up two new legendaries, Hawlic's Handy Axe near the start, and Bloodshield Of Xoc after defeating the dragon. As I was coming toward the end, I "built" with the ogre magicker in mind (smoke bomb, forgetfulness, counterspell), i.e. I got some lucky drops. I accidentally picked up the loot fairy on Diamonds of the Kobolds.

Here is my party:
    Gorthag
    Level 16 Dwarf Warrior

Karazdron
    Level 16 Dwarf Priest

Chufstromez
    Level 16 Dwarf Wizard

And path:
    Level 2: The wizard's workshop
    Level 3: Highway Robbery
    Level 4: Dungeon of the Lizard Priest
    Level 5: Rescue from Shieldhaven Prison
    Level 6: Diamonds of the Kobolds
    Level 7: Beneath the Frozen Earth
    Level 8: Lord's Stafford's Treasure
    Level 9: Gladiator Arena, Qualifiers (loss on second map)
    Level 10: Against the Cockroaches (two losses on last map)
    Level 11: Goblins in the Woods (loss on second map)
    Level 12: The Tomb of Tvericus (loss on second map)
    Level 13: Shrine of the Astral Guardians
    Level 14: Return to the Astral Shrine
    Level 15: Riddle of the Gnome Lords (two losses on last map)
    Level 16: Temple of Terror (loss on second map)
    Level 17: Lair of the Yellow Dragon (two losses on second map, no resistant hide this time to coast through)

It would be way too hard to try to do this without any restarts, possibly using non-dwarves is the next step up. I think I will next try to go through the whole campaign with 9 characters (level 1, each race/class combo) with permadeath, and have to restart a level if one or more characters die during a map.

13. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

Has anyone tried a co-op nudie run yet?

{Just dont suggest it to a girl heheheh }

14. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Yes, killer74 and I played 6 levels. 'twas fun.

15. Killer74

Killer74 Hydra

Have done various partial runs with others, 3 two player co-ops, 1 three player. Thus far, 10 is furthest I've (we've) done, haven't failed any yet though (failed as in lost 3 times, have died a few times). Have to say, it's mighty fun. Others get to see your sloppy play however :confused:. Also, I've had some connection issues (sorry to those affected), which, usually quite annoying, is now very annoying. But yeah, good fun. Kinda surprised at the fact that two players doesn't seem to be too big a disadvantage for the early levels, but it might be at later stages.

Flaxative likes this.
  16. ArnieBear

ArnieBear War Monkey

Personally I've only ever run this by buying 3 new characters, but this does make it quite hard, as one definitely wastes early drops and losses out due to restricted power tokens, using this method I have only ever got as far as level 15 then died.

Personally I think if only one option was added it should be a new lvl 1 nude party, as thats what makes the challenge - but if there was an option to choose party level or adjust the challenge than the more options or choices the better for replayability

Christofff and Sir Veza like this.
  17. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

For those who like an even more challenging nudie run mode, I'm working on "dissolving equipment mode", which make item equipping decisions even tougher but gives you slightly higher levels to be able to equip them, pretty simple, will detail soon.

Also in line with parodyKnaveBob's nice idea to try triple elf wiz, i've been doing separate nudie runs in the following modes of difficulty to build up to it:

2x elf wiz / 1 priest
    2x elf wiz / 1 warr
    3x elf wiz

In doing the second mode, i've learnt more about positioning warrior to both: minimise damage and maximise damage, than I would normally worry about with the presence of a priest. Its great!

Macizo likes this.
  18. Fanturluche

Fanturluche Thaumaturge

Yay! I completed a nudie run from level 1, without the club slot, and without taking any defeat.
    Koroth
    Level 16 Human Warrior

Gwinma
    Level 16 Elf Priest

Grikdok
    Level 16 Dwarf Wizard
    Getting Malevolent Robes probably helped me a lot

Farbs likes this.
  19. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

Congrats. I'm impressed you choose to do Return to Astral Shrine, and with that party, you had zero armor destruction...well done!

20. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

Dissolving Equipment Nudie Run

Follow the same rules as normal nudiue run, with the following exceptions. Once your characters reach a lvl 13 adventure, their equipment starts dissolving! You must ditch one item of your choice at the end of each adventure, (i.e, remove that item and place in your inventory), for each character. If you have found a replacement equipment in your final chest, you can replace it with that. But as per normal nudie run rules, once gone, you cannot reuse the item.

I have found this to be a nice twist to nudie run. Because it gives an additional level of challenge, in anticipating which equipment you will need / not need. It also makes some equipping decisions smoother, as ditching items often frees up tokens needed for future, more powerful items!

To make it fairer, I added the rule that between adventures 1-8, you can do one additional adventure. Likewise adventures 9-13, and 13-17. 3 in total. This gives more items, and also your characters will be close to the level of rewards they receive, meaning they should always have the tokens needed to equip the chest reward item. The one caveat is that you must also complete the lvl 15 adventure, Riddle of the Gnome Lords, no exceptions. (I think this is the right gnome lord one - anyway, its the one with 3 missions and the last mission is nice and hard).

If I can complete Riddle of Gnome Lords with two elf wiz and a human warrior with dissolving items, so can you!

Finally, I suggest timing your run so you can take advantage of the loot fairy at least once :)

Good luck, and many items!

Macizo and PULSEFIRE like this.