Card Text Bug Thread

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Jon, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Lifesaving block is confusing because some things that change damage are calculated before blocks (like Vulnerable, Mass Frenzy) and some after (like Devastating Blow).

2. karadoc

karadoc Hydra

In my view, it would be best if Lifesaving Block took all damage boosts into account. The text then could be returned to its original simpler form, and there would be far less confusion about what is and isn't blocked.

In terms of balance, I don't think it matters much whether devastating blow or punishing bolt are blocked. There are some single player modules where it would be handy to block and punishing beam, or that charged up card that I can't remember the name of right now (in Black Plume Mountain) - but again, I don't think it matter much whether or not Livesaving Block is a bit stronger there.

The big issue is transparency and simplicity. Currently, Lifesaving Block is a bit nebulous. Only an expert player would be able to work out what is and what isn't blocked by it - and even an expert could make mistakes about it in the heat of battle.

Is there some reason why the game can't just add _all_ damage boosts at the start? Like, are we scared of OP All Out Attack Touch Of Death, or Punishing Bludgeon? I personally can't think of any strong reason for having different damage buffs be applied in different ways.

3. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

The reason is it's a considerable amount of reprogramming that hasn't happened yet because we basically have a 1-person team.

4. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Lifesaving Block's original "Block Any. Only triggers if damage would kill you." might be changed to:
    "Block Any. Only triggers if the incoming damage would kill you."
    Using "incoming damage" as a clickable keyword would save alot of space on the card.

ParodyKnaveBob and Xayrn like this.
  5. Xayrn

Xayrn Hydra

This seems like a good approach. However, it assumes there's a reasonably succinct way to define the incoming damage that Lifesaving Block does count. So now the new question is: What should incoming damage's tooltip text say? I'd try to figure it out myself, but I don't actually know which damage buffs are taken into account (hence why the tooltip would be useful).

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  6. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Exactly. I suspect listing what is not included would be easiest, but I haven't tried it yet.

7. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Oh, has Jon changed his mind then about it being weird and wrong?

8. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

We talked about it a bit when we were implementing Erratic Damage (for lasers). It's definitely something we might look at more in the future, to make cards like LB a bit more intuitive.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  9. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Intuitive is good. It's what rule elegance is made of, interpreting Salen and Zimmerman.

10. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

This is a really minor one:
    Purging Burst has extra white space at the start of the card text. Burst 1 isn't located at the left edge of the card text space because of it.

There are probably other cards with the same issue (if you'd like to check the Cards.csv file for them at the same time).

11. wavy

wavy Thaumaturge

Shrug It Off needs the wording changed to include handicaps - currently says "Discard all enemy controlled cards attached to you. You may play this card while Stunned."

12. Dwedit

Dwedit Goblin Champion

Elven Maneuvers is bugged right now, the card text doesn't fit and is cut off. You can't read the last line, or the duration line.
    Seems that the box that tells you what item it's on eats all the necessary space.

Image from wiki, when it's the card itself:
    [​IMG]

Image when you see it on your own items:
    [​IMG]

13. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Just noticed this, suspect it might have been brought up before, but alas

Isn't Roiling Pendant supposed to be called Boiling Pendant? Unless an obvious pun is there that I can't understand

14. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

15. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Makes sense. Thought it was intended to be Boiling pendant, since it has Boiling Armor on it

16. Xayrn

Xayrn Hydra

17. sithguto

sithguto Kobold

So im new in the game and i guess i found a bug. i have this card a "travelling curse" it says: trait.take 5unholy magic damage. a random oponent shufle this card into their deck. Last battle i used it, and it got shuffled into my warrior deck, and he drew it... the funny thing was that he died with the damage ehehehhe
    Thats it, thanks for the attention, really liked the game.
    PS.: sorry for possible grammar mistakes, not my first language

18. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Actually reactions can't be blocked like barbed mail, spiked mail, reflect missile, etc. . #NotABug

19. sithguto

sithguto Kobold

"a random oponent shufle this card into their deck", my warrior isnt my oponent i guess...

20. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Traveling Curse first deals damage to whoever draws it, then gets shuffled into the opponent's deck.

Jarmo likes this.