Elven Maneuvers on a rock?

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by MathuranF, Jun 6, 2015.

1. MathuranF

MathuranF Lizardman Priest

Thread title might be a little confusing, but I was wondering if using Cautious Mobility on a support Priest just as a tokenless item with 2 trait cycles was good/bad/neither. The priest only has 3 move cards in the deck 2 of them being Violent Spin and Team Walk I was wondering if taking damage with this on was a bad thing, since more often then not my next 5 cards would be discarded.

I guess either way I'd draw them later as I get the reshuffle, but if I see something like Defender's Block get discarded, that means I'll have to wait til the reshuffle and hope it was kind to me to get 1/2 Defender's Block that is an important card. I use the general rule of, "if I get bad cards early, I'll get good ones later" and vice-versa, because I pay attention to what I've drawn, and I know the types of things in my deck. So I was wondering on how I should look at a character using Elven Maneuvers just as a trait cycle as opposed to a way to draw good cards, maybe there's another way to look at it.

EDIT: As a side note, Risky Trickery looks very tasty, but Vulnerable on an Elf anything can be quite scary vs. a wizard or 3

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
    CT5 and Flaxative like this.
  2. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

I don't think its a good idea to use it in that context, even if you intend not to expose that elf to damage (then you could as well run vulnerable). Adding more Move-armor. move-blocks and move whatsoever could tame the discard machine a bit and provide escape/protection if you are in a spot where you take damage, but the utility you brought that priest for will fly right by to your discards pile.
    The change to vulnerable was a slap into the face of any elf and human supporter who hoped for a more leveled playing field after the patch.

Edit: Even if the selective discards dont matter for whatever function this priest has, you will find yourself in "would have, could have"-thinking looking at those discards.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  3. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

There's no harm to running Elven Maneuvers with no targets. Maybe @CT5 can explain why.

4. CT5

CT5 Guild Leader

Not a great explanation, but it's 2 traits + useful card on tokenless item. No harm in running it. I mean, people run Raging Battler on Dwarf Wizards purely for the trait cycling. Cautious Mobility is even better than Raging Battler in that respect, cause occasionally you'll get a card off of Elven Maneuvers!

Sir Veza likes this.
  5. uhlik

uhlik Orc Soldier

Don't forgot the most importent aspect of Elven Maneuvers! Bluff!
    Whan your opponent sees one on your character he really thinks twice before attacking him. People are often so scared that EM sometimes work almost like an Impenetrable Nimbus... :)

On the other hand I used to play Healthy Trickery on my wampire priest with a great success...
    It deppends on what do you expect from your priest.

Sir Veza and CT5 like this.
  6. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

Why are you using an elf for the support priest if not for the racial skill? They don't need the movement as much and it certainly isn't for their robust hp. Elvish Scamper?

SlowComputer and Robauke like this.
  7. MathuranF

partially, to be different, also maybe due to luck, but I'm getting better results with the elf than the human.

CT5 likes this.
  8. CT5

CT5 Guild Leader

It's not cause of luck ;)

Fifjunior7 likes this.
  9. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Common reaction - See: Elf priest > Think: Vamp
    Back when I played MP I ran elves for a while and did poorly until I got my mindset adjusted properly. If you're doing better with an elf than a human, it's probably because it suits your playstyle better. Roll with what you're best at, bro!

FrigusMacto, CT5, Flaxative and 2 others like this.
  10. Killer74

Killer74 Hydra

Just a note: Discarding cards doesn't make any difference in the long run to the quality of the cards remaining in your deck, as it discards good and bad cards in an equal ratio as to what's in your deck. If you are paying attention you'll still know what's towards the end of your deck (Personally, not something I pay too much heed to :p, though perhaps I should). It does reshuffle your deck more often though, so there would be a slight dip in you knowing what cards are at the end of your deck (It is sort of off-set by having, in a way, a smaller deck).

I don't know what the average amount of reshuffles per game is (I would guess that it doesn't actually matter), but think of it this way: You might throw away good cards from elven maneuvers, however, those cards are as likely to be at the bottom of the deck, which you may not get to use with a deck that doesn't draw as many cards (i.e. a deck without elven maneuvers)

It's probably a good enough use of cautious mobility, is what I'm saying essentially. Whether it is good enough to replace other racial skills depends on your deck and how you play.

11. MathuranF

That's essentially how I thought of it, just wanted to see if there was like some mysterious deeper level thing that I was missing to it, thank you all for the helpful responses. For now I'll keep it and stick with the motto, "if it aint broke, don't fix it"

12. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

This is what I was hoping CT5 would explain ;P

13. Janet

Janet Guild Leader

Any trait means card cycling, which is always good for a tokeneless item, because it means you are drawing towards token item cards. However, if cycling is not your top priority and your elf is not a vamp, then you should go for Pacifist Trickery http://wiki.cardhuntria.com/wiki/Items/Pacifist_Trickery, 1 cycling card, 1 cantrip which can be of use on healer, and a useful Free move