2nd Peasant Swiss Tournament w/ Prizes

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Flaxative, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Hail Card Hunters! It's time for another Peasant PvP tournament. This thread contains all the rules for the tournament. If you want to participate, post in this thread to sign up. If you are participating, you must read this post in its entirety—signing up signals that you agree with all the rules and regulations outlined below. If you have questions or need clarification on anything, just ask in this thread, and I will do my best to help you. Please keep general discussion out of this thread, however; I'd like to keep it neat.

Players

There are 16 spots in this tournament, available on a first come, first serve basis. That means the first 16 players to successfully register will be in the tournament. Successful registration is a two-step process: post in the thread to announce your registration, then PM me your decklists (more details below).

I am accepting additional sign-ups as "reserves" on whom I may call at my discretion to fill tournament spots if folks fail to register correctly, or if registered players vanish.

I'll be keeping sign-ups open until we get 16 successful registrations, and then starting the first round as soon as I can schedule all the matches.

Format

ROUNDS: There will be four rounds of Swiss. This means the tournament is not elimination style, and you will always be paired with someone with a similar score if possible. After the fourth round, the tournament will be done.
    MATCHES: Each match will be Best of Three. You and your opponent will play either two or three games; whoever wins two of these wins the match.
    TIME CONTROL: Each player will have 10 minutes on their clock for each game.
    MAPS: All games will take place on a ten-map rotation. I will randomly determine the stage for each game immediately before the game starts. The maps in use are as follows:
    MAP STRIKING: At the beginning of each match, each player may choose one map upon which they do not wish to play, striking it from the rotation for that match.

Parties & Decks

Parties must be peasant legal. There is no ban list at this time, so that just means you can only equip common and uncommon items. Your party composition can be any combination of race & class combinations. Upon signing up, send me a private message with your build in order to register it (see bottom of this post). You will be locked into the party composition you have chosen for the duration of the tournament. You must begin each match with your registered gear equipped.

EXCEPTION TO THE PEASANT RULE: Some rare items have no rare cards on them. Examples include Hammer Of Bashing and Reliable Axe. These items are legal in this tournament.

UNIQUE RULE: No character on your team can equip more than 1 of a given item. This means that your Elf Warrior can only use 1 Bejeweled Shortsword. If you have multiple Elf Warriors, they can each use 1 Bejeweled Shortsword.

SIDEBOARDING: You will be able to change items between battles within a match, but not party members. For example, your wizard could swap out his Citrine Amulet for a Malachite Orb in Game 2 of a match against a team of three warriors. You may register up to 9 items to be in your sideboard, and will only be able to swap in items from this list between games. Duplicates count as multiple items for the purposes of sideboarding. In addition, you will have a maximum of 4 minutes to perform any swaps between games. Sideboarding will be done before the map for the next battle is revealed, so you can tune your deck to better your opponent but not to capitalize on a given stage.

Prizes

Blue Manchu will be giving pizza to the winners of the tournament. The prize structure based on win-loss record is as follows:

• 4-0: 400 slices
    • 3-1: 200 slices
    • 2-2: 80 slices

This means that at least 50% of competitors will receive enough pizza to buy a costume from Cuthbert.

Additionally, all entrants who show up for all their matches will receive a free Epic Chest (a 25 pizza value!).

Additional Rules

PEASANT FOULS: If, in the first game of a match, the referee sees you play a card from an item that wasn’t registered (meaning you pre-sideboarded for the match), you will receive an immediate game loss. If, in the second or third game of a match, the referee sees you play a card that comes from a rare, epic, or legendary item (meaning you sideboarded in an illegal item), you will receive an immediate game loss.

ETIQUETTE: Some behavior may be penalized.
    Tardiness: If a player is more than five minutes late to a match, the referee will give that player a game loss. If a player is more than ten minutes late to a match, the referee will give that player a match loss.​

Heckling: If a player harasses his or her opponent in the battle chat, the referee will give that player a warning. If harassment continues, the referee will give the offender a game loss. This rule can be waived if both players state, at the beginning of the game, "I love trash talk."​

SPECTATING: Spectators are advised against discussing the game in the battle chat lest they be seen as kibitzing or interfering with the players. Spectators who materially disrupt a game may be subject to disciplinary action (warnings, bans).

Logistics

This is not a chronologically contiguous, one-day event. In order to let our entire international playerbase participate, we are using the following structure.

ROUND & MATCH SCHEDULE: Each of the 4 rounds will consist of 8 matches, and last just under one week. Matches will be scheduled in advance. They will have a referee present, who will hopefully also be recording the match. Matches will occur throughout the week, when players are available.

COORDINATING MATCH TIMES: When you sign up, include in your post what hours you are free for matches. Be as specific as possible, including which days you're available to play. Be sure to give me your availability windows with UTC start and end times so I can coordinate everyone on a standardized time zone. (Use this site to convert or this one which is more sight-impaired friendly). Keep in mind that you'll be playing games with players all over the world. If your window of availability is too limited I may deny your registration. Once everyone is signed up I will schedule your matches based on who’s available when.

STRUCTURE OF A MATCH, barring technical difficulties:
    1) Both players should be in the lobby before the match start time.
    2) The referee will reveal the first stage of the match.
    3) After the players confirm that they are ready, Player A will create a custom game, load the selected stage, and invite Player B.
    4) The referee will spectate the game and enforce the rules..
    5) After the game, both players have 4 minutes to swap their items around.
    6) Repeat steps 2-5 until one player has won 2 games.
    7) Before the next match, each player must return his or her party and items to the configuration registered at the beginning of the tournament.

ROUGH TIMELINE
    • Finalize player list by Wednesday 6/10 reset
    • Finalize round 1 match schedule by Thursday 6/11 reset
    • Finish round 1 by Wednesday 6/17 reset
    • Finish round 2 by Tuesday 6/23 reset
    • Finish round 3 by Monday 6/29 reset
    • Finish round 4 by Sunday 7/5 reset
    This schedule is subject to change based on availability of players and referees. Ideally we can actually complete rounds faster than projected. The goal is to finish this tournament before EttSC launch.

Referees

The referee of a given match shall be myself, @CT5, or @Stexe, depending on our availability. Want to be a referee and help us split the burden? That would be super helpful. Referees should be intimately familiar with the rules and willing to enforce them with authority. I also really want to see every match end up on YouTube, so it would be great if referees are familiar with Google Hangouts or similar and are willing to record the matches. PM me if you want to ref.

Final Comments

If anything is unclear, ask below. Remember that sign-ups are first come, first serve. Please prepare to be accommodating with your match times. Remember that if you miss a match or are unable to schedule one you will forfeit that round. Players who can't get it together before Round 2 may be replaced by reserves.

EttSC Expansion Release

It is possible, though unlikely, that the EttSC launch will occur before this tournament is done. In the case that it does, nothing about this event will change. We will not add boards to the rotation. I won't allow registered decks and sideboards to be updated with new items. Nothing about the expansion will interfere with this tournament as currently organized. :)

*Registering a build:

1. Go to multiplayer Keep.
    2. Load your peasant build.
    3. Hit f1 to open the console.
    4. Type "partyanddecksbbcode" and hit enter. This copies your build's decklists to your clipboard.
    5. In a private message to me, paste your decklist and send.

The deadline for submitting your build is 24 hours after the final (16th) registration. Keep in mind that the build you register will be the build you must start every match playing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2016
    Rebel7284, CT5 and Pawndawan like this.
  2. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

I hereby register.

I can entertain and crush my opponents between 12:00-20:00 UTC, i guess, best during the week.
    Doesnt make much sense to pinpoint windows given there are no fixed dates.
    I do like trash talk...

VALID - registration complete

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2015
  3. Lieutenant Commander Data reporting for duty, sir. I will send my build via CommLink or PM, whichever you prefer.

I am available at 16:00-04:00 UTC. Thank you.

VALID - REGISTRATION COMPLETE

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2015
    Flaxative likes this.
  4. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

In case this wasn't clear enough in the intro paragraph above: read all the rules before signing up. Sign-ups without match availability times in the sign-up post are invalid. Match availability times must be in hours in UTC. This is all explained in the first post in this thread. Please read it before signing up.

5. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

timeracers registration

Available from 7:00 pm to 7:00 am
    Preferably in the middle of the day
    No saturdays
    9:00 pm to 7:00 am for sundays
    Corrected

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    Flaxative likes this.
  6. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

I'm in.

My availablility is M-F 13:00-20:00 UTC.

Flaxative likes this.
  7. timeracers

timeracers Guild Leader

Clarification:
    Are Epic items that have 6 uncommons legal?
    In other words do all items that have no rares count?

8. Juxtapostion

Juxtapostion Hydra

I am in.

My availability is M-F 17:30-03:00 and Saturday 13:00- 03:00

Flaxative likes this.
  9. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Thank you for asking, and the question makes sense, but no. The rules are as written in the first post. I'm making a single exception to the normal peasant rules.

10. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I'm a bit nervous that the people not specifying a time zone might not be converting to UTC. But carry on. I'm taking all times as UTC and trusting folks to be reading the thread and giving me the right info.

11. Merdis

Merdis Orc Soldier

I want to participate. I prefer playing on Saturday, Sunday between 8:00 - 20:00 UTC.
    I am usually available also on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday between 15:30 - 19 UTC.

Flaxative likes this.
  12. Fifjunior7

Fifjunior7 Hydra

Let's Roll!

UTC - 11 pm to 3 am

13. Rebel7284

Rebel7284 Ogre

Generally available M-Th and some Fridays midnight - 3AM UTC.

VALID

Flaxative likes this.
  14. MathuranF

MathuranF Lizardman Priest

I'm In also,

M-Th
    20:00-03:00 UTC

Fri
    20:00-01:00 UTC

Flaxative likes this.
  15. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

So the rule is that Rare items without Rare cards are fine, but Epic items without Rare cards are not?
    (The only Epics without Rare cards are Shieldpopper and Trickster's Blade.)

EDIT: Or is the rule: Rare items with only Common cards are allowed? (Fits both examples given, but would disqualify Slippery Shield.)

16. CorCor

CorCor Kobold

Would like to participate.

Available on any day (except 23-24 June) 07:00-17:00 UTC

VALID

Flaxative likes this.
  17. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

I'm not sure I understand this line. Is it that there can be no duplicate items within the sideboard list, or that there can be no items on the sideboard list that duplicate items from the registered build, or both? Or that the sideboard can have any peasant elligible items, but when you swap in items you still have to fulfill the no duplicates per character rule?

18. Merdis

Merdis Orc Soldier

If I send my line-up now via PM, then will I be able to modify it before deadline?

19. Pawndawan

Pawndawan Champion of Cardhuntria

I'd like to participate too!

I can arrange my availability between 07:00 - 22:00 UTC, except during the next two weekends (13 - 14 June & 19 - 21 June).

Flaxative likes this.
  20. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

The rule is as written ... "rare items [that] have no rare cards."

It's best if you just send it once, thanks.

It means if you have Double Edged Sword in your sideboard, that's only ONE Double-Edged Sword, and doesn't represent the ability to swap in any number of Double Edged Swords willy-nilly. (But also, yes, after sideboarding your build must remain legal.)