[Balance] Card Discussion

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Jade303, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

The no is because Jon isn't letting me run wild, and it's provisional. Everything I say "good idea" to is something I'd like to do at some point ;)

2. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

I'm sorry I'm derailing this thread further but I do think Stun is a mechanic you don't want to see in play. It's just anti-fun. What I think is more important at the moment is giving both wizards and warriors some purge-like abilities, and that's resolved for warriors in EttSC, because there will be items with Purging Strike, but for wizards it's still out in the open.

I just think that the only reasons Purge and Purging Burst are so strong are because nothing else function like it in any form lesser or stronger, and because anti-fun cards like Impenetrable Nimbus, Martyr's Blessing, and Elven Maneuvers exist. I know, ofcourse, that you can stack attachments, but by then it's too late, since the offending card would have already bypassed its supposed level of function as a silver quality card (for Nimbus and Martyr's) and a bronze quality card (Maneuvers).

Actually, while I'm at it, I'll also say that some aspects of card balance don't make sense to me at all. Why is Enchanted Mail emerald quality when Crafted Mail is silver? Why is Soothing Darkness of gold quality when Impenetrable Nimbus is silver? Why is Cause Fumble silver when Impenetrable Nimbus is silver?

3. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I don't know if BM has said this before—I feel like we have—but we're averse to using Stun and Halt in general because they're unfun (note how we removed encumber lock for this reason).

Because we didn't rebalance the entire game after the mechanics became better understood?

4. Bluemage

Bluemage Hydra

That's all for the Revised Edition. Or 4th Edition? Maybe it should be Card Hunter X.

5. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

Well as long as @Jade303 hasn't updated this thread with the next card, I might as well reply. Enchanted Mail with Armor 7 or Armor 6 and a 3+ roll would be really interesting, if you're still considering changing it.

6. Grimmace

Grimmace Ogre

Enchanted harness is perfect as it is.
    Leather Harness and Chain Harness on the other hand, could do with just a little boost.
    Otherwise i dont see the Legendary Duncan's caps as playable at all.

Duncan's Chain Cap

Duncan's Leather Cap

7. Accent

Accent Hydra

I would agree that they're unplayable. Boost-wise, I'm agnostic, leaning towards "no".

Would you suggest lowering the die roll? Changing the amount they boost? Something else?

8. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

I think lowering the die roll requirement by 1 would do it a decent and fair boost. After all, Thick Hide Armor is on a 3+ roll with Armor 2.

timeracers likes this.
  9. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Totally deleting Leather Harness and Chain Harness from the game would probably be the best solution.

doog37 likes this.
  10. Christofff

Christofff Guild Leader

Thanks jade for making this thread and your efforts.

My 2c- nimble strike is the second best card in the game! It's very existence stops mages from taking over cardhintria!.

Seriously, you guys, if not for nimble strike, warriors would have to rely on team walks and sprint teams to get the job done!

Nimble strike + mass frenzy + blind rage + good player =win, simple as that.

It's the good player part, that's hard to obtain..

Sir Veza and Flaxative like this.
  11. Bluemage

Bluemage Hydra

For the longest time, I figured all of the harnesses had the same effect as Officer's Harness, which let them not count for discarding. That was wrong, but it would make thematic sense, since I guess they're not as bulky as full armor. That'd probably require completely rebalancing them, though.

12. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

This was tried on the test server as part of rebalancing, but it was too much. Even Armor 1 that triggers on 6 is too much when you stack 5 or more. Hawlic's Glowing Shirt was actually a playable item for a little while there.

Flaxative likes this.
  13. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

14. Grimmace

Grimmace Ogre

Acid spray in PvP doesn't seem to feature very often. I am a big fan of acid, so much so that i have made decks that cover the entire map with it, hell i even won a couple of games with it. (Yes actually won as well, not just opponent resigning.) With those decks, there may only of been 2-3 spray a piece, with acid blast generally being a little more versatile for its range. Also it is of course inferior to acid jet. In saying that, i like both cards. The problem it shares in mainstream play, is the ability to integrate it in any deck that is not devoted to terrain/control. Eg if your using wizards and your opponent plays sprint team! Acid spray aint gonna save you, but telekinesis and the related cards might. Thus when we see a wizard in MP it is rare to see an acid move, Whiterune Staff is just playable in a control scenario, most other staves that feature acid of any kind are not: Crimson(i think thats the name, cant link on this ipod sorry)Swamp etc. Because lets be honest, in the current meta, burst or control wizs reign supreme, there may be a few brave souls who opt for a straighter fire wiz or damage with sparks, but they certainly have no place for acid spray. The values for the items it is on are fair, 3 on the gland for a yellow token is fair enough, and 1 or 2 with an acid blast for a minor token also. But who is going to use it over ring of appropriation, runestone, akons amulet, flash flood and illusion items etc. Now to bring it back about acid spray, if i was to recommend a solution (if one is required). Either increase the range by 1, or, make it function more like acid pool, in that you can place it, basically not a spray i guess.

15. Deepweed

Deepweed Thaumaturge

I think Acid Spray really isn't viable at the moment and I don't think it will be viable at any point in the foreseeable future. I play wizards almost all the time and I can tell you after trying lots of builds, mixing and matching things up everywhere, that it's not viable. There are two potential uses for it: to delay an opponent's advance, and to clear Smoke Terrain efficiently (I haven't tried it, but it seems possible).

Now, I think I have a suggestion that could improve it other than increasing the range or damage (since increasing the range by 1 will mean covering 15 tiles, and that's nasty, and if you're going for damage take Magma Spray instead). Have the card Slide Back 1 after using it. (I'm referring to the caster/wizard). It makes sense because you're releasing something so heavy and repulsive, and at the same time it helps the card achieve its intended function (*guessing that it was created as a delaying spell*). Additionally, it would function as another non-movement card move like Short Perplexing Ray, which makes sense when you're talking about low range magic (1-4).

EDIT: Now that I think about it, the above suggestion would really make the card function well in a way that it could be incorporated into builds as a great source of Stop terrain other than the glorious Illusory Barrier and the well-known Acid Jet.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  16. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

I really, really like that suggestion Deepweed! Increasing the range almost turns it into an Acid Pool (which is insane and probably broken), but adding Slide Back 1 instead would make Acid Spray into a pretty neat card.

PS: It really wouldn't hurt to give Leather Harness a buff from 5+ to 4+. I mean really..

17. Fifjunior7

Fifjunior7 Hydra

If you gave the acid sliding, if you were on the outer edges of the acid you would get pushed off of it yes?

18. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

The "recoil" on Acid Spray is cute.

timeracers likes this.
  19. doog37

doog37 Hydra

TERRIBLE IDEA... Unless it stuns the caster

20. doog37

doog37 Hydra

That was actually considered (before the 1 major rebalance) and after testing in the test server it was dismissed.