Let's Analyze the Cards!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Strumiker, Jul 23, 2011.

1. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

I like how you didnt confirm or deny lol, but i will take that as a yes

2. Strumiker

Strumiker Mushroom Warrior

Here's another one from their recent blog post, Dropped Guard [link].
    [​IMG]

He mentions, "Why would anyone put this in their deck?!?" - Which is a good question! :)

For tossing out of ideas sake - Maybe at some point or with some card you can inject a card into a monster's deck? Or, maybe this in combination with another card would allow you to draw some new cards? OR, maybe there are required deck composition rules that would make you put so many of each type of card in your deck? I'm sure I'm missing the obvious :p

SurgeonFish likes this.
  3. secran

secran Mushroom Warrior

Maybe it has a negative point value for deck construction, allowing you to put in more stuff? Like a flaws system.

Jon likes this.
  4. Rising Zan

Rising Zan Mushroom Warrior

The only reason i can think is that when you create a deck each card you put in has points on it, so a really good card is worth 5 points and and something along those lines. However, no matter how many cards you have in your deck if you have all 5 pointer cards and let's say the limit for a deck is 50 that's 10 cards. So what do you do other than than make your deck longer with cards that might not have any points or possibly negative points like this one right here.

Ex. your building a kind of barbarian deck where he is complete offense and little to no defense. and you want to add some more cards, Bam! You put this card in your deck since you have hardly any defense cards anyway.

SurgeonFish and Jon like this.
  5. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

Maybe there's a way of pushing cards from your deck to the baddies?

6. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

You guys are on the right track for sure. Should be some good hints in this week's dev diary.

7. Hopibear

Hopibear Mushroom Warrior

It might be a cool card to change your strategy.
    Throwing away all your def cards and go full attack!

secran and SurgeonFish like this.
  8. SurgeonFish

I believe this to be the most likely scenario, but im assuming the style of this card would be something injected into the players decks/hands to make them more vulnerable. Perhaps in such to ready themselves to deal more damage or to keep us from stacking defenses, keep us on our toes.

This makes much sense now that its been mentioned, a point related system so that each person isnt sporting the most powerful cards just because they can, keeping everyone regulated to so much power so new players could be viable with even just the starter deck.

This would also be a fantastic idea! Dumping your hand because perhaps that as you build defenses, the cards are stuck in your hand unless you use a card like this. To help free up that extra space to go more offensive like the final rush to kill a tough boss.

Damn now im eager to read the next dev diary! Jon your such a tease lol

Edit: Also someone made the mention in the blogs that these cards for the most part have had some sort of "Equipment" style property. Anyone else notice that and would like to speculate? Perhaps there will be an equipment system (head, chest, boots, hands, leggings) where you can equip defense cards on your chest and legs and could cast spells through your hands (hands being weapon related) and head (head noting the arcing lighting card is a necklace related card). Speculation anyone?

Hopibear likes this.
  9. Roshirai

Roshirai Goblin Champion

You guys made me register just to comment on this. :p

I'd put my money on it actually being something akin to those two quotes. It's clear that Dropped Guard is associated with the equipment piece Unwieldy Harpoon. Somehow, through a method known only to the staff of Blue Manchu and the voices inside their heads that control them, I assume that you can "equip" a character's deck with the Unwieldy Harpoon. This likely inserts several different cards in that character's deck, at least one of which is Dropped Guard, and presumably at least one of which is a non-terrible attack ability, which we'll call Sharpoon Stab*. Blue Manchu can use this to auto-balance some of the cards that you find: maybe Sharpoon Stab is actually really awesome, and having a Dropped Guard or two in your deck is necessary to keep it in check. Maybe at some point you can find a Wieldy Harpoon that doesn't come with such a drawback. This could apply to pretty much any piece of equipment: a heavy set of Lead Platemail, for example, could come complete with a few Gasp for Air cards that require you to discard your standard move card when drawn.

Anyway, speculation! I'm sure all will be revealed in time.

* "My family is important to me, so when I need to harpoon a marauding group of bandits holding them hostage, I make sure to reach for a Sharpoon."

Jon and SurgeonFish like this.
  10. Roshirai

Roshirai Goblin Champion

Like, now, for instance.

I'm at least pleased that I beat the blog post by, like, five minutes or something. :p

SurgeonFish likes this.
  11. SurgeonFish

lol, welcome aboard. Your comments are appreciated :D

12. secran

secran Mushroom Warrior

I noticed that the 'backfire' card for the harpoon is black bordered, but there is a brown border card on puppeter's band. Different kind of card, or different caliber of backfire?

13. SurgeonFish

i was just gettin ready to post this

Equipment types (supposidly)
    [​IMG]
    We can confirm the middle is puppeteer band, and the on 2nd from the left is a harpoon (obviously)

Backfire card of Puppeteer band (Teleport Other card)
    [​IMG]

Speculate! (seems to be my catch phrase of lately)

14. secran

secran Mushroom Warrior

So many questions! So three items are blue, one's yellow/gold, and another is brown. Rarity scheme? Differentiating between what 'set' they come from? Are the blue ones 'starter' cards?

Also, the brown card has a star on it. Card point value? Card Rating? Curiouser, and curiouser.

15. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Not obvious to me. That green could be a gem, and the overall object could be a wand. "These are all Arcane Items, for Wizards of course."
    Hmm. This is all Speculation (TM), but I think these graphics are literally how the objects would appear. The "blue" is just metal, the yellow is cloth, and so on. Clicking on them would give up the color breakdown of the cards in the suite, but we don't know until we click.

Perhaps.

secran likes this.
  16. SurgeonFish

Ah yes, i noticed it when i saved the image it says "Arcane Items" that and i kinda, musta, sorta, skimmed that part of the dev diary. I'm still at work, i usually re-read them when im at home

17. Roshirai

Roshirai Goblin Champion

Hop on board the Speculation Train, everyone! There's room for all!

I think I agree with SirKnight's assessment of the item icons. They're probably a red herring. Also note that the Headband icon is gold-colored, while its associated card headers, which probably indicate rarity, are silver. If the icon color was intended to indicate the item's rarity, it'd be real confusing that those two didn't match up.
    I actually don't think this is a Backfire card, but rather just another ability of the Headband. Maze of the Mind sounds a bit too awesome to be a penalty, and it seems a bit weak to give a Backfire card a "silver rarity". :)

The burning question right now for me is the new "black rarity" on the Dropped Guard card. Does black simply indicate Backfire? That would make sense to me given this...

[​IMG]

A black-bordered card would jump right out at you on that UI, meaning that it'd be really easy to spot any equipment in your inventory, etc., that had Backfires associated with it. That said, I could still also see it indicating "common" or "poor" rarity, as the Unwieldy Harpoon is the only piece of equipment we've seen so far that presumably has Backfires attached to it.

Side note: Do we need a better term for referring to Backfire cards? I could see some Backfires not actually, um, backfiring on you. :D

18. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Did you really post this before the dev diary went up? If so, awesome speculation!

19. Roshirai

Roshirai Goblin Champion

It was literally minutes/moments/seconds before, yeah. I'm sad that I seem to have wasted my one-shot psychic ability so early on in the campaign. :)

SurgeonFish likes this.
  20. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Don't worry too much. I did some thinking about this earlier. Here:
    I now believe that the "like" counter can recharge special abilities.