Off Topic

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SurgeonFish, Aug 22, 2011.

1. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

Speaking of games, is anyone else just absolutely stoked about Deus ex coming out tomorrow? I cant stop thinking about it, and ive even planned a day off work so i can play it!

I have a poster on my wall already from the game.

2. Strumiker

Strumiker Mushroom Warrior

I missed the boat on the original so I don't have much interest in it - although it should be an amazing game from what I heard. Hard to go wrong with Eidos and SquareEnix behind it :) If you don't visit the boards again after it's released, we'll know why at least ;)

Dungeon Defenders / Orcs Must Die / Guild Wars 2 are really the only games I'm excited for. I'm pretty narrow minded in this aspect, I suppose - Oh and the third D&D Boardgame with the Drizzt crew in it.

3. Piratecat

Piratecat Blue Manchu

Orcs Must Die looks great. Rob Fermier (who worked with several of the Card Hunter team back at Looking Glass and Irrational) is one of the folks behind it; from what I've seen it's going to be a lot of fun.

I have a ton of games on my Steam account staring at me, just waiting for me to play them. Bastion, SPAZ... I've gotten behind. I don't even want to think about HOMM VI coming out soon, although that's one I'll wait for reviews on.

4. Aeryon

Aeryon Kobold

11/11/11 can't get here soon enough... I am so excited for Skyrim; worried though they they still have not shown any PS3 video or screenshots. If you guys want a super fun, hardcore RPG, and own a PS3, check out Demon Souls. The game was brutal and brilliant at the same time.

By the way, I know the first one flopped, but has anybody tried Two Worlds II? It looks really bad yet, pretty fun at the same time.

5. Benhell

Benhell Kobold

Cant wait for bf3, d3 and card hunter!!!

6. SurgeonFish

I'm still playing bastion, its just so much fun and very well put together. BF3 i planned on buying, i dunno if i wana play it yet though. Diablo 3 i was excited for until i realized i have no interest in their online gold system, plus the fact torchlight 2 is comming out. If i cant sit through torchlight 2 then i wont play diablo 3, because im starting to think that i dont like loot hunting games anymore like i used to. Skyrim looks boring... sorry. Guild wars 2 looks intresting and if SWTOR if any decent it will be a tossup between those to of which mmo i decide to burn my life into for the next year.

Depending on how great card hunter turns out to be, may be something i put like 1-5 games into a night (depending on length of gameplay) then playing whatever mmo or offline game im accustomed to.

Two Worlds II was decent, if your into skyrim or dragon age then it will be up your alley.

skip_intro likes this.
  7. Strumiker

Well luckily (guess depends on how you look at it) you'll be able to play through plenty of SWTOR before you have to worry about GW2. They are saying they will be just starting closed beta testing late this year. They are definitely going the polished, when it's done route. Ditto on D3 - lost the little bit of interest I had when they revealed their real money auctions. Besides, like you said, we'll have TL2 goodness instead :)

8. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

Nice avatar there Dr Fish! :cool:

SurgeonFish likes this.
  9. Aeryon

Aeryon Kobold

I really want to play SWTOR, but looking back at how much of the past 5 years WOW has consumed (now 7 months WOW free!!) I am a little more than hesitant to jump back into another MMORPG.

I know Diablo 3 is going to be great, but the 4+ years of screenshots with not even a potential launch window has worn me out.

CardHunter can't get here soon enough!

10. Rising Zan

Rising Zan Mushroom Warrior

I usually don't have a whole lot of money on me for games. But Space Marine looks like the best 3rd person shooter of the year!

11. Cordalinge

Cordalinge Mushroom Warrior

HOMMVI just a great licence, Deux Ex in two days, Dark Souls in two Months for my PS3, Dead Island to have fun, and card hunter Beta for November ^^...a great end of 2011 !!

12. Strumiker

Wee, Dungeon Defenders on Oct 19th. With the way things have gone with them - that could be pushed back to Oct 19th of 2012 :p

13. SurgeonFish

ya, didnt we expect that in march of this year? game has been out on the phone for a long time, but its just so damn hard to control i cant play it on my phone. Stupid virtual joysticks are crap.

14. Strumiker

Yar they are for the most part! I tried playing it on my wife's Droid 2 and it just didn't run that well and really made the phone heat up... but that might be due to some of the things I did to it. I guess when I think of multiplayer 3rd person action dungeon defense - playing on a phone isn't the first feature that springs to mind.

15. secran

secran Mushroom Warrior

Please to has off topic board?

Also, Deus Ex is quite spectacular. Hopefully I can beat it before all the games the wife wants (Atelier Totori, and Uncharted 3) come out later this year.

16. SurgeonFish

My deus ex copy is still in the mail x.x damn you shipping and handling!!! why couldnt you be at my door on day of release like you lead me to believe!! stupid day of release shipping rhetoric

17. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

So, is the new Deus Ex a good experience? Please say yes.

18. secran

secran Mushroom Warrior

Yea and verily. I haven't played the others, so a comparison is in applicable, but think: Metal Gear: Solid, first person, high mortality rate, Resident Evil 4 inventory, with side quests. Blend on high, serve over dystopian cybernetic future ice, enjoy responsibly.

19. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

I would rather make a comparison to other first-person stealth games, as I have only watched Metal Gear: Solid and never played it. But aside from that, it would seem your description is fairly identical to the original Deus Ex. This is a good sign.

20. SurgeonFish

Played Deus Ex for 22 hours and finally beat it. The game is brutality difficult if your not ready to think on your toes. Comparison to other FPS games its lacking slightly in that field as your other augmentations provide a better source of attack at times but it doesnt draw away from the game in a negative way. Its satisfying to shoot someone far away then turn a corner and (canned animation) melee knock someone out. It looks like they tried to balance Stealth to be a healthy option, but i found myself relying a lot on stealth, expecially in the early stages and as soon as i got the cloaking field. Later in the game when stealth becomes incredibly difficult, i had no issue with dropping stealth all together and tossing a grenade into a room of unsuspecting baddies.

Story is excellent (BTW i didnt like the ending but thats just me, others love it), Side quests are fun, and this is by far worth the wait for me. Ive been anticipating this game for 6 months, even have a poster of the game on my wall a month before it released! Totally worth the wait and if skyrim doesnt steal the show, this is in my opinion game of the year highest contender.

You must play if you enjoy:
    FPS (gears of war)
    Stealth (Metal Gear)
    Mass Effect (or other story driven games)
    Games that allow you to use your environment for quick thinking
    Scavenging games (Fallout)