Game Text Bugs

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Dugrim, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I'm pretty sure that's it (or Sapient), and RW is either Renegade or Rogue Weapons.

2. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

3. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Except for a few biblical names (like Moses, Jesus) actually 's after a name ending in s is correct, at least in American English, which seems to be what most of the game is written in.

4. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Ah, OK, sorry, didn't know that.

5. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I guess they changed american English since I went to school. Not surprising, it's been a while.

6. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

While I'm not a natural English speaker, I think (at least for the cases being discussed in here) both forms would be correct.

I.e. For singular, proper nouns ending in -s, both the 's and ' (only the apostrophe) can be considered correct:
    - Charles's shoes
    - Charles' shoes

Although I think the former is generally encouraged, I can see one form being preferred over the other in different cases.

This is generally not the case for plurals (including proper nouns) ending in -s:
    - The moles' burrow was incredibly deep
    - The song was The Eagles' first of five chart toppers

EDIT: do note, any -s ending word is still pronounced the exact same way regardless you append 's or ' without an s at the end of it (i.e. cats, cats' and cats's are all pronounced the same way). This is probably trivial to any English speaker, but whatever.

That being said, I'm fairly sure lots of exceptions exist, like with most things in English grammar.

Note: since I don't trust myself on stuff I studied several years ago, I checked this source to make sure I wasn't misremembering stuff.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    Sir Veza likes this.
  7. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Well part of the problem is on a fine point like this, you'll find different sources (even credible ones) that disagree. Part of that is because language changes over time and geographic area so depending on where the source is drawing from there may have been a different rule in place. For example, as I was taught and have always understood it, the possessive is represented in writing by an apostrophe and an s-sound. This means that the general rule that most people learn is to make a possessive you add -'s unless the word ends in and 's' and then you just add an -' (the untold reason for this being that these words already provide the s-sound and thus don't need an additional 's'). This works most of the time because most words that end in a 's' do in fact end with an s-sound. However there are some that do not, many of them being names, and these actually do need an additional "s" to provide the sound of the possessive. Thus you'd have Charles' X-Men but Descartes's philosophy. Of course if we went with my understanding (which by no means is it necessary to do) the question becomes, do we have a pronunciation guide to the names of Card Hunter? :p

8. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I was thinking of this just yesterday (due to the song thing), and decided I didn't want to know.

9. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Will fix, thanks.

10. square0

square0 Kobold

So this is the thread for typos.

I found one in the Temple of Scales where Karen says "You rolled a 20? Aright, you hear a sound nearby. Something like this: 'blooblop-blerblop-blup'"

Jon likes this.
  11. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Though strictly not untrue, Melvin's statement is now inaccurate:

Jon likes this.
  12. Jon

Changing to "Beating a quest gives you guaranteed rare items or better. Go forth and hunt cards!".

Sir Veza likes this.
  13. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I think you're missing a "two" in there.

14. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Yes, w/o a number clarification the open ended plural will likely cause players to expect all 4 items to be rare+.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  15. Jon

OK. My thinking was to remain vague in case quest rewards change again in the future, but perhaps that's going to cause confusion.

Bandreus likes this.
  16. Souleye

Souleye Orc Soldier

Hit the deck's last words: "Your save". Does that mean "Your salvattion"? As in, the thing that saves you is "your save". I'm not a native englishspeaker so I wanna ask. I sometimes read it and imagine it's a mis-spelled "You're safe". But the odds of 2 major errors like that seems unlikely so I just wanna check.

17. Mr. Magnifico

Mr. Magnifico Thaumaturge

The full card text in question is "Stop, drop and roll. Your save." The "Stop, drop, and roll" part is a slogan you (well, at least I) learn in grade school about what to do should you ever find yourself on fire. (My wife works in a hospital. She once had a young patient come in with a dog bite. He proudly explained that when the dog bit him, he did just what he knew he was supposed to: "I stopped, dropped, and rolled!") The "Your save" part is presumably short for "your saving throw". Stop, drop, and roll your saving throw. Get it? Man, native English speakers are hilarious.

18. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

I'm a native English speaker and it makes no sense to me. But maybe it's a play on words I'm not familiar with?

19. Mr. Magnifico

Mr. Magnifico Thaumaturge

I haven't played Dungeons & Dragons in ages, but back when I did you got a "saving throw" to avoid certain kinds of effects. So, for example, you had a number representing your chance of resisting Paralyzation, Poison, and Death Magic. If you were bitten by a giant centipede, you'd roll your saving throw and try to roll that number or higher to resist its paralyzing venom. Certain particularly nasty attacks (e.g. dragon breath) still did half damage even if you did make your saving throw. "Roll your save" was (is?) tabletop gamer argot for "roll your saving throw". In Card Hunter it's called a "saving roll" on cards like Demonic Miasma.

This has been another PSA from the Department of Explaining Things You Probably Already Knew In An Unintentionally Condescending Way And Overexplaining Jokes.

20. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Yes, "save" is short for "saving roll" -- Magnifico explained it magnificently.

Mr. Magnifico likes this.