what else are you playing?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by neoncat, Mar 6, 2014.

1. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Well, it seems to be the season for disappointment in games. I fired up my old XCOM:EU campaign and made it to the final room of the final battle... and then it glitched on a spawn animation. Also tried out Plants vs. Zombies, and it was facile. I guess there's always FTL (still need to unlock the Crystal Cruiser). ^_^

Bandreus likes this.
  2. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

I've been playing entirely too much Minesweeper recently. You know you're playing too much when you can beat Beginner in under half a minute and Intermediate in under two minutes.

3. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

Just tried a game of Minesweeper after reading this post. Smallest one took 26s - that's not too big of a deal. Under 10s would be sick :)

4. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

5. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

One of my favorite games (which I play about once a day) is PrismaPix, which is basically a multi-layer Picross using Minesweeper clues. I played through the entire demo (75 puzzles) 8 or 9 times over the course of a couple years before buying the full version, which will likely entertain me the rest of my life.

6. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Planescape: Torment (@Stexe, I finally recognize your avatar :p)
    - superb writing
    - tedious mid-game (lower/clerk's ward has too many fetch quests, I got too bored to bother joining the Anarchists)
    - a guide is highly recommended at certain points

I was also dumb and blew all my epic lvl9+ scrolls on the Betrayer because I thought that was the endgame, and he just rolled saves on all of them. If I hadn't done that, I probably would have fought TTO just to lay the smack down with my lvl 27 mage with max CON/WIS/INT. :D

Sid Meier's Ace Patrol / Pacific Skies
    A pleasant tactical air combat game, though the interface / graphics / design is a bit clunky. Quick and satisfying... you can beat a campaign in a couple hours, but there's sufficient randomization in encounters to go back for more.

7. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Yep. It is the Lady of Pain, but not just from Planescape: Torment but the whole Planescape campaign setting.

I've never really needed a guide for the game, but having something that explains it helps if you're not familiar with the campaign setting. Plus, going a wizard with tons of INT, WIS, CHA really helps as it let's you explore dialog options a lot more openly.

I've been playing LoL, Card Hunter, Crypt of the Necrodancer, and Coin Crypt. Just reinstalled some games from GOG (Messiah and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri) just to get a small refresher.

neoncat likes this.
  8. Melodious85

Melodious85 Orc Soldier

Planescape torment is still the benchmark in terms of story telling in games as far as I'm concerned. I think it's still an area where games are really lacking. I'm keeping an eye on the spiritual successor - https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/

I got Lego Lord of the Rings on Xbox for less than £4 so I've been hammering that lately. Enjoyable for the price.

I've been thinking about getting Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 over on GOG for some nostalgia ;)

neoncat likes this.
  9. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

The guide was mostly for "I need to go talk to somebody I may or may not have met several hours of gameplay ago, where was he again?". Also for the maze of reflections, because I totally messed up the dialogue tree there several times and you can miss out on a lot of story. Also for reading the entire Anarchist branch which I punted. Also for making sure I'm not being dumb about content that doesn't actually exist (e.g. some sensate stones).

moar deets plz! :D

10. Stexe

deets? As in details?

It is a rogue-like game that you play to a kind of rhythm game. Really fun, although you can unlock everything in the game in maybe 4 or 5 hours if you grind. I've been trying to get a perfect speed run down using a decent starting seed to generate a nice game.... still brutal to win without getting hit once and in under 8 minutes. Outside of that though I've pretty much done everything in the game in maybe 10 hours. Still one of the highest rated games on Steam and definitely worth the money if you want a 10~ hour rogue-like dungeon crawler with a very interesting twist.

neoncat likes this.
  11. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

BUT ARE YOU PLAYING WITH A DDR PAD? :D

(that's why it's near the top of my to-buy list, except I'd also have to buy a decent DDR pad)

edit: also, how well does the custom music feature work? I may want to beat it to "u cant touch this" >_>

12. Stexe

No, that would be way too much work. They have a special mode just for the DDR pad which makes the game much easier and manageable. I'd suggest just going for it without the DDR pad and just playing it first. Later on that could add a lot of life to the game I bet.

neoncat likes this.
  13. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I play Necrodancer on the pad... it's hard :)

neoncat likes this.
  14. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Good to know, I will take that into consideration for holiday splurging.

15. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

I picked up a copy of Metroid Prime trilogy a couple of days ago, it's great fun though I'm finding it a bit easy combat-wise so far considering I dropped to less than half health for the first time on the third-to-last boss. This game is also why you haven't seen much of me and will continue to not see much of me :(

16. Stexe

17. iruj

iruj Orc Soldier

A bit (my first 2 mp games, actually) of Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic though it's not too easy to find players. Hint: If you're interested, head to the forums at gog.

18. Stexe

I used to play that a lot back in the day. Love the different factions ... specially the Shadow Demons. The whole evil insect race with magic is awesome -- shame it never really caught on as a trope since they were amazing.

19. iruj

iruj Orc Soldier

Frostlings have been my favorites since the first game.

20. Inkfingers

Inkfingers Thaumaturge

@Magus and I have been poking at Prismata, a kickstarter strategy game that has a partially open alpha (you can play a demo version for free). It's interesting - does a good job of making every decision count. I might actually ask for some element of randomness or unknown quantities (all variables are symmetrical - there are no random events, aside from exactly which units are available in a specific game, and aside from that it's all player choice).