Incoming AoS/MOBA-inspired gameplay options

Discussion in 'Custom Scenarios and Boards' started by Farbs, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

I took an interest in AoS/MOBAs recently, but I don't have anywhere near the time required to actually learn to play one. So instead I added the features I found interesting to Card Hunter :)

The following features have all been added independently of each other so that creative scenario builders can mix and match them to find their own fun:

Team-based Victory Terrain
    I've added two new terrain types which only act as victory terrain when occupied by a character from a particular team. I've also added new red and blue overlays for these so you can mark them out appropriately. The overlays match the terrain layer colours - please try to be consistent here, for the sake of the players!

Respawn Waves

If you specify a respawn period then a resurrection phase is added to the start of each battle round. The respawn phase either announces the number of rounds remaining until the next respawn event, or resurrects dead characters and awards them full health. Defeating all opposing characters will not automatically end a battle when respawn waves are active. To activate respawn waves specify any of the following scenario tags:
    • respawnPeriodOne - A respawn event occurs at the start of every round
    • respawnPeriodTwo - A respawn event occurs at the start of every second round, starting from 3 (rounds 3, 5, 7, 9...)
    • respawnPeriodThree - A respawn event occurs at the start of every third round, starting from 4 (rounds 4, 7, 10, 13...)
    • respawnPeriodTriangular - The period between each respawn event increases by 1 each time, following the pattern of triangular numbers starting from 3 (rounds 3, 6, 10, 15, 21...)
    By default all dead characters are resurrected, however you can control this using respawn filters. If respawn filters are specified then only characters that pass every filter will be respawned. Respawn filters can be specified with the following scenario tags:
    • respawnFilterMinion - Only characters from minion groups are respawned
    • respawnFilterNonMinion - Only characters that are not in minion groups are respawned
    • respawnFilterPlayer0 - Only characters belonging to the first player are respawned
    • respawnFilterPlayer1 - Only characters belonging to the second player are respawned
    Kill Point Removal
    You can set the number of victory points received for a kill to zero via the following scenario tags:
    • noKillPoints - applies to all characters
    • noMinionKillPoints - applies to all minions
    • noNonMinionKillPoints - applies to all characters that are not minions
    Shuffle Monsters
    The new shuffleMonsters tag shuffles the order of all monster groups. A simple use would be to simply change who spawns where while still keeping minion groups together. A much cooler use would be to set up a scenario with many monster groups, but only supply spawn points for some of them. Then when the battle starts only a random subset of the groups will appear. @tuknir and @Kalin have been doing some awesome work in this area with randomised adventures, and I figure this'll mean they won't have to wall off unused characters in a bench area.

I'm submitting these changes to the codebase right now, so hopefully they'll be in the next test build. I certainly hope so anyway - I haven't played this new mode against anyone other than Gary yet, and he's a bit useless.

Enjoy!

EDIT: Added details of new tags suggested in subsequent discussion

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
    Turbo164, Stexe, Pengw1n and 7 others like this.
  2. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! ^__________^

3. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Speaking of consistency, can we have more consistency regarding Player 0 vs Player 1 vs Player 2 vs Red vs Blue vs White vs Black? And we're still swapping "You" and "Opponent" when playing humans.
    Both players?

4. Farbs

Yeah... that's a bit of a pain I agree. P0/P1 vs P1/P2 is a pretty common issue - indexing from 0 is very convenient in code, so usually you just add 1 when the number becomes player-facing. Unfortunately that line becomes less distinct when we open up APIs and editor tools, hence the confusing mess there. Red vs Blue vs White vs Black is also tricky since Black or White could match Blue or Red, depending on the perspective you're viewing the board from. I think the best way forward there is just to add a bit of CTF style themeing with red and blue bases etc.

Yep, every player who uses fixed monsters. It does not affect constructed parties.

Stexe likes this.
  5. tuknir

tuknir #3 in Spring PvP Season

Cool. i had a idea for a new adventure map, where i would have to box out a monster..so lets see..
    Btw what are the other tags available?

6. Farbs

Off the top of my head I can only think of quickDraw and noShuffle. I'm not sure if noShuffle affects just the initial shuffle or also subsequent reshuffles though. If the latter it might be possible to build deterministic scenarios, which could be cool.

EDIT:
    Okay I have to share this. I just won an epic 73 round 2v3 quick draw MOBA-ish battle against Gary. By the end of it respawns were 11 rounds apart, and I was hanging out for every single one. At one point Gary walked his dwarf wizard - the only character remaining at the time - up to the victory square and sat on it for three rounds, bringing his score up to 4 of the 5 needed to win.

My wizard and priest respawned, and with a lucky Gusts Of War I was able to flip my priest onto the victory tile, thereby preventing the final cap. Gary's dorf wiz didn't last much longer, but his other two wiz had respawned and were advancing down the middle. I decided to try a mad dash along both outside lanes, hoping to distract Gary and leave enough space for at least one character to get through and score my final point. Some unlucky Whirlwind Enemies kept my priest locked inside the difficult terrain around the victory tile, but my wizard broke free and tore up along the outside to cap the final point four rounds later.

Okay, maybe that isn't the most amazing story you've ever read - but it was pretty darned awesome to play. Oh and in case you're worried, no, games don't usually last that long. I just made some very silly choices in the drafting phase.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
    Sir Veza, Pengw1n, CT5 and 2 others like this.
  7. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Adding resurrection makes for some interesting new victory conditions (which has been a pipe dream for a long time) - Could it possibly be made to set for 1 team only? That opens up for a "capture and hold" agenda vs respawning minion hordes in sp.

hatchhermit likes this.
  8. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Awesome. I asked Jon about Team Based VPs a long time ago for almost the exact reason! =)

Before Card Hunter, my time was heavily focused on AoS ("MOBA") games which I've been playing religiously for 10 years now. Let me know if you have any questions or want some feedback.

9. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I am so happy there's still someone in this world who refers to them as AoS. I hate 'moba' with a fiery vengeance. Always been a purist.

Stexe likes this.
  10. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

This sounds like a fun activity for co-op if I've ever heard one! Can't wait for someone to make these, then have someone else invite me to play with them on the maps.

11. tuknir

tuknir #3 in Spring PvP Season

A cool tag would be a "KingMinion".. where if said minion would be killed you would win/lose

12. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I don't know what CTF means here, but I agree that using red and blue bases would be best, and we could add a red or blue background to the hand areas to remind us who went first.

Respawn thoughts:
    Does respawning heal the surviving chars? I can see people suiciding right before a respawn for a free heal.

What about tag-team co-op? If your team size is larger than the number of spawn points, when one char dies a different player's char will respawn.

13. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

@noKillPoints, Is it possible to designate a specific monster/group to be worth X victory point, instead of just setting them all to 0? That would support the "Kingminion" mentioned above, along with a whole slew of other new and exciting possibilites. I know this has been brought up before.

PS: Awesome Stuff here! Can't wait to try it out!

14. Farbs

Ha, like I said I'm just learning about these now. Have fixed the thread title for you guys :)

Stexe likes this.
  15. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Aw! You're so sweet. You have no idea how pleased I am. All the esports kiddies are going to be like, "What's an AoS?" And I'll just sit back in my rocking chair on my porch and nod wisely.

Turbo164 and Farbs like this.
  16. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

This sounds like what you're asking for:
    I assume groups with only one char would still by worth points.

Farbs likes this.
  17. Farbs

Yep, exactly. I figured that would cover most of the uses people were interested in.
    I'll try to find time for more respawn options too (eg minion-only, and different periods other than triangular numbers)

18. Farbs

Haha. If you ask Jon he might tell you stories of the time before computer games.

Flaxative likes this.
  19. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

What's it say about me if I have no idea what either acronym means? :oops:

20. Farbs

I've also noNonMinionKillPoints - Rudolpho is having a few issues today and might miss a few things.