Rate my Randimar's Rarities

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Will-, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Particularly since the nerfs, I use 2 war/frenzy priest on Wizard's Workshop, Highway Robbery, the trog gouger adventures, Melvelous, and most of the levels above 10. A 1/1/1 works better for me on some of the 10+levels, and FS still works on a few.
    Before the nerfs I used to firestorm almost everything. Now, farming the campaign feels like driving I-10 across Texas in second gear.
    What FS build(s) are you using on the higher/larger levels?

2. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Well like I've said, I haven't bothered to try to build a better deck since the changes - it's a lack of free time issue, not because I think this is a good build for speed anymore. This is my "base package," which I'll tweak for some levels.

Sir Veza likes this.
  3. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Right now the only thing I'm looking at is Vibrant Pain. That's all, folks.

4. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

If you had to choose between Vibrant Pain and Sundersong, which would you choose to purchase? Assuming you had neither.

5. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

I have a Sundersong in Randi right now. Why should I buy it? Unnerving Strikes looks better and I can get 6 of them for the same price than 5 Sunderings.

(And don't start with SP. I can do SP without one, tyvm.)

6. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

Sundersong isn't nearly as good as VP imo. It was great only with stacking harness, but now armor is like before: usually not a priority. VP isn't what it used to be, and I'm not sure if I would equip one on MP, but it's still fantastic in most of the leagues to go through difficult terrain and water.

hatchhermit likes this.
  7. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

Of course you can do SP without a Sundersong, but since I primarily do SP, from an SP perspective, I'm wondering which would be the better one to purchase. I know, it depends. Since I have the option of one or the other and own neither, I was asking for opinions.

Should I start prefacing all of my posts with "from an SP perspective?"

Thanks! I remember Sundersong getting a lot of talk at one point. That must've been the time. During the testing of the new balance changes. It definitely goes down on my priority list now that you mentioned the armor/harness stuff.

8. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

Well, from a SP perspective VP doesn't have much use I think. Sundersong it's situational but can perform very well in some modules like Cliffs of the Wyverns. But if you're only worried about SP, I would save the gold for some items with Volcano.

9. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

Hmm. Well, that's disappointing to read. Thanks, Jacques.

Jacques likes this.
  10. wavy

wavy Thaumaturge

I acquired a Sundersong about 7 days ago and it seems to be very useful for the higher level adventures - I deleted most of my saved builds after the rebalancing changes (no more steaming through Garnet DP in 5 minutes with 3 Dwarf FS Wizards for guaranteed minimum 3 uncommons now!), but it's very good in Cardstock II and for most 1/1/1 high level builds. If your Priest is running some Sundering Strike items as well, then even the most armoured of enemies can be a pushover.

Sir Veza likes this.
  11. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Because it is beautiful.

12. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I agree. These days, Nimble Strike is only useful for dealing with water (I had fun yesterday with Nifty Halberds and Rapier Of Misfortune in Garnet Portal, but you can't use VP there). The only place in SP I'd expect VP to be good is Elder Mind, and that's probably not worth 2500.

VP may become valuable in MP if water wizards start dominating, but I haven't heard anyone complaining about them yet.

13. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

OK, well if I had to choose between Sundersong and Vibrant Pain, I'm not sure what I would do. Petochl's Sword has 3 Sundering Strikes and is very useful in leagues and SP (I'm looking at you, Black Plume Mountain). Sundersong has an amazing number of Sundering Strikes and is very helpful for *certain* maps. As for Vibrant Pain... well there is Lochaber Axe, 50% Nimble Strike which sees use all over campaign and has a lower cost for MP too.
    Based solely on the epics available, I can't recommend Sundersong despite the fantastic armor-shredding card density.

As for Vibrant Pain, with the meta these days I have no idea how good it actually is anymore. The low damage for a (majortoken) (majortoken) really hurts it for my consideration. I'm doing pretty well with my current two Dwarf warriors and I don't think I would use VP if I bought it, unless I designed a new "VP warrior" , who doesn't look the way a VP dwarf warrior would have looked in the past. The thought of running Nimble Strike and Oblits doesn't appeal to me, either.

14. peonprop

peonprop Thaumaturge

I played with Vibrant Pains for about a week during the last map cycle with the difficult terrains. I rarely used Nimble Strike as a movement card and couldn't use it as an attack card well if the opponent's characters were still trying to cross the difficult terrain. Getting to the victory point first was nice but once the other side catches up you're the one stuck with 4 damage attacks. It is great for chasing wizards but you will lose the damage race against melee characters without help from things like Mass Frenzy or Dodge. Personally, I think the addition of fly to Nimble Strike doesn't come close to making up for the loss in damage so I wouldn't recommend getting it unless you are willing to build around it.

wavy likes this.
  15. piotras

piotras Goblin Champion

Got a few interesting things this week that I don't have yet

Bolg's Club Of Evasion
    Mordecai's Staff Of Magma (got two Staff Of Blazing Sparks)
    The Strongarm (got Beater, but costs a token for same dmg output with a worse distribution)
    Oquith's Choking Incense
    Asmod's Telekinetic Chain

Rockshard Robes isn't bad for an epic too

I would love to improve my warrior builds but with current OB dominance these weapons aren't worth looking at, maybe the evasion club for dodge, lava is lame as hell to use.. maybe the incense then? Telekinesis is my favourite control spell since it's teleport now and that chain is the only tokenless item where you get two of them (and spikes fit it perfectly). Decisions, decisions!

16. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

I really love The Strongarm. It's a mainstay now in my Warrior builds. I've also been experimenting with a Stone Spikes / Telekinesis build for a wizard. It is surprisingly effective. Rockshard Robes is worth it for that kind of build. And I have 2 Asmod's so those get used as well. Those two items are definitely a good core for that kind of wizard.

Sir Veza and piotras like this.
  17. Krodis

Krodis Mushroom Warrior

Get the Strongarm. It gives you flexibility with warrior builds so you can do all kinds of fun stuff with a minimal dmg sacrifice. It is irreplacable.

18. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Mordecai is wonderful in SP these days (if the level allows 2 yellow tokens).

19. piotras

piotras Goblin Champion

I would, but using the strongarm means I only have 4 OB instead of 6 in my deck, which puts you at a great disadvantage against other warriors out there.

20. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

What are you using???? Two Bludgeonators and an Infused Greatclub?? Strongarm also has high damage, no movement or blocks but for no tokens.

If your deck contains only Bludgeons/Hacks, you'll be at a disadvantage against many, many warriors out there. Basically any competent opponent would out-tech you.