[SUGGESTION] - Make shimmering aura roll on lava and spikes.

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by convolute, Sep 4, 2014.

1. convolute

convolute Kobold

Taking shimmering aura into battle already risk a dead card. Since currently there is not many projectile attacks, if your opp is not using a wiz, then the card may as well be blank when you draw it. Terrain attachments are a product of magic, and the cards such as wall of fire typically say "Magic Fire" under card type, so I feel it makes sense. It is also worth note these attachments already have the advantage of not being blockable.

I believe the reason it doesnt currently is because lava and spikes both say "take 8 FIRE damage" and "take 6 SLASHING damage" and I think and easy fix would to shove "magic" before each capitalized word, making the damage both magic and its physical type.

To reiterate, if an armor is going to be limited to only magic, then please make it work on all magic.

j3st3ri likes this.
  2. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

Shimmering Aura used to work against lava. I wonder why was it changed?
    Slashing damage is not magic so I don't support S. Aura protecting against spiked terrain but it could reduce lava's damage imo.

Robauke likes this.
  3. convolute

convolute Kobold

They are magic spikes though. The same way the lava is magic fire

4. Vakaz

Vakaz Guild Leader

Personally I think it should be a 5+ roll that applies to all damage, but becomes 3+ versus magic damage. Would make it a viable armor again now that firestorm is much less useful.

Ineptie likes this.
  5. UiA

UiA Ogre

I was thinking about shimmering the other day too. I think it should get some sort of buff, maybe just a small one like keep the roll the same but allow it to prevent 1 or 2 melee dmg as well, just to give it a little added utility? Agree it should protect against lava but not spikes.

6. convolute

convolute Kobold

I dont get you guys. lava and fire exist as real non magical things in the same way spikes do, there is no reason one should and the other shouldnt. The same magical force that is holding lava there is what is holding the spikes in existence, it is magic slashing damage the same way lava is magic fire damage.

7. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

This was discussed and debunked before. The damage isn't direct - so it doesn't have the magic tag - i e not "magic fire" etc rather than just fire damage (hence why resistant hide works), as stated on the card. With the current wording, it logically won't trigger - and would need a rule change, to either attachments in general or the armor itself.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  8. UiA

UiA Ogre

I guess I don't really consider the whole magic aspect of it, rather as pure energy vs. kinetic force. In my view I see shimmering armor as a sort of force field to protect against purely energetic weapons (i.e. fire and wizardly conjurations) whereas the spike are a more mundane puncturing force which would be countered by traditional means. Obviously this has no real bearing on the game mechanics but that's the way it intuitively seems to me and a few others I would guess.

9. doog37

doog37 Hydra

Well I think the lava attachments should have their damage reduced. Wall of Fire is not as dangerous with encumber nerfed, but 8 points of damage that is unblockable is rough especially when Shimmering doesn't help.

10. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

Well, regular armor helps although Shimmering Aura is, yeah, a very situational card.

11. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

i think it would be intuitive to expand the protection to arcane and elemental damage, lava and fiery stab burn included. no melee damage types like slashing, piercing etc.

12. convolute

convolute Kobold

It does projectiles, too. I think its like the shield in Dune where you have to go through it slowly lol. But I dont think those spikes are any less magic than the knifes that appear under your feet from path of knifes and the like

Robauke likes this.
  13. convolute

convolute Kobold

Im not asking why it doesnt, Im saying there should be that rule change, and simply hoping for support :) The types as they all are right now are weird. Regardless of being "slashing" or "crushing" and whatnot, I thought there was 3 kind of "super types" that everything seems to fall under, being projectile, melee, and magic. I know this isnt formal, but it kind of makes sense since those types arnt exclusive to themselves and all damage needs to be something. Not sure if Im explaining myself correctly.

doog37 likes this.
  14. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Yeah, it drives me nuts all the cards that shimmering aura DOESNT prevent damage from. I mean, it stops burning damage attachments but not Path of Knives. It won't stop Arcane Feedback, Unstable Bolt, terrain damage... it's a terrible card IMO.
    *EDIT* I'm fairly certain that Arcane Feedback doesn't trigger S. Aura. I know there were a few cards in my SP grind that didn't affect it, which made me comment.

However, Shimmering Aura is supposed to be a mediocre card. That's why it's cheap.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  15. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

it doesnt stop Arcane feedback or unstable bolt? That sounds like somehting someone overlooked, makes no sense at all to exclude it.

doog37 and Sir Veza like this.
  16. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

I've confirmed that Shimmering Aura does nothing about Unholy Energy, unlike every other armor.

17. Robauke

Robauke Guild Leader

so there is plenty of tiny things to make shimmering aura a bit better.

18. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Yep. The devs can judge whether terrain effects are magical or mundane, but by it's description it should have a chance against all magical and missile damage.

doog37 likes this.