[GUILD] Seasons

Discussion in 'Guilds' started by Farbs, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

Hi!

I just finished adding guild seasons to [META]. Woo!
    You can find the original season (January through to a few minutes ago) here:
    http://cardhuntermeta.farbs.org/season.php?id=24169

The current season will always be here:
    http://cardhuntermeta.farbs.org/season.php

And you can see the hall of champions listed here:
    http://cardhuntermeta.farbs.org/seasonchampions.php

From now onward seasons run monthly, with ratings applying only within the season in which they were earned. I haven't put any thought into prizes, but we might be able to swing something like custom forum titles or badges, if that would be of interest. Or we could just hand out some pizza or gold - I dunno. Are people interested in this? What prizes do you think you'd like?

Oh, and of course feedback etc is very much appreciated, as always.

2. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Seems like a good idea to reward active guilds, though I must say I still really like this idea:

3. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

Gold is very much needed atm! :p

Stexe likes this.
  4. Farbs

Right, yeah I kinda stalled out on that one. Weirdly, it's building the new ceremony scenarios that mostly holds me up on these.

5. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

Time? Or ideas? If it's the first there's probably more than one map builder that'd be happy to put something together for you.

6. Farbs

It's both, really.

7. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

You might want to have stopped the season right before the balance changes or right before Flax's season ended... since after Flax's season and/or the balance changes many people changed play styles. Would give a more accurate picture, especially since a lot of people just stopped playing entirely or just tanked during testing new builds or fun. Not that it matters that much due to the lack of rewards, but still might be something to consider to give a better representation going forward.

Besides that it sounds like good idea, although I question some of the balance behind it. Having guilds with tons of active people will most likely rise much faster than others. It took me a LONG time to get to #1 in the guild rankings by myself due to the rating starting at 1000. Maybe start the value at a much higher average to better calculate typical starting score?

And I assume prizes would be divided between all members, which makes having guilds with tons of members a trade off?

8. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I have an idea for a prize: I can announce the most recent champion guild on the cover of each issue of Mauve Manticore!

I'd shy away from giving out material rewards—either we'll divide them among members (punishing large guilds) or multiply them by members (encouraging everyone to join the same single guild), and neither system sounds good to me. Bling, cosmetics, and bragging rights all seem cool though.

9. Farbs

I've just added a couple of quick features to the site:

1) All history lists (for players, guilds, or everyone) can now be filtered to just show highlights. This means you can quickly see the dozen or so inter-guild matches that swung the season each day.

2) I've started collecting stats for each guild for each day. Specifically, I have starting and closing rank, as well as minimum and maximum, and both win and loss count. There's no way to view this data yet, but I reckon some charts might be in order further down the line.

Ha! I love it.

CT5, Stexe and Flaxative like this.
  10. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Any chance of Guild vs. Disorganized Rabble (or Rugged Individualist) stats?

11. Farbs

I can certainly look into that. Is there any particular comparison you would like to see, eg active player counts, or average win percentages?

12. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I think active player counts would be very interesting to see. Average win percentages, and win percentages of independents vs. guild members would be a bonus.

13. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

More ways to compare ourselves to other people always sounds great! The only problem I could see being possible is that it'll be a bit challenging for a guild made of lower ranked players, as lower ELO competition tends to be unaffiliated. (HINT: I am selfishly talking about Forest Wizards)

14. Farbs

If we define active as 10+ ranked games, with the most recent game being any time from August onward, we see the following:
    • 7% of active players are guild members
    • The average win rate across all active players is 53%
    • The average win rate across active non-guild players is 53%
    • The average win rate across active guild players is 56%

Stexe and Sir Veza like this.
  15. Farbs

It will be interesting to see what effect that has. So far you've won 100% of your games and are holding steady in the middle of the bracket, so it's not all bad. In a way it's an opportunity to slowly creep up while everyone else swings about wildly. Of course, if you win too many games your individual ratings will rise and you'll end up battling everyone else. I suppose a very mercenary guild could alternate between tanking while unaffiliated, then rejoining the guild and swatting some new players to earn a handful of easy points. If it looks like anyone is doing this I may have to consider penalties and/or disqualification. So... please don't do that. :)

Sir Veza and Magic Elves like this.
  16. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

Guess we're just going to have to nab the new players and train them to become ruthless killing machines before their ranks get too high, then... wait, that's why I founded the guild in the first place.

Flaxative and Farbs like this.
  17. Farbs

BlackSabbath is absolutely tearing it up right now, in case anyone was wondering. BS is largely the reason that Power of Fires is top of the league!

Vakaz likes this.
  18. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

Get to the point now, Farbs :p

19. Don't make me blush :oops: