[Feedback] Upcoming Balance Change MEGATHREAD

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Questor, Jul 29, 2014.

1. M1chiel

M1chiel Kobold

thats nice. It was a good idea, but in practice makes things boring.

I have some thingies which I think could be adapted.

Elven Trickery - max 2 draw per person, or only one target
    War Cry - lose the cantrip (imho its to powerfull, stripping all defenses and no time to run)
    Nimble Strike - decrease damage and range to 3, or possibly including 'discard (move) card' like the unbalanced swing ; its also logical, you run so fast, you loose a move card. Other option is including drawbacks like trip with Vibrant Pain.

( not much to do with this topic) would it not be a great fun playing SP game, where you PLAY the bad guys: orcs, demons/necromancer, trolls and shamans and such?!

Well I know its easier to ventilate some ideas, then acting and making fun balanced game play, but these where my thoughts.

O last idea, one league/MP where rare is best items you may use , or fast play - reaction time of 20 sec or so.

ok , very last idea:
    use of the new SP characters in MP (playing humans against monsters XD )

2. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

I was bummed to see this roll-back without some type of buff retention. It was clearly overly powerful with the original change, but I liked that it made armor and penetrating attacks more relevant. I was hoping there would be some level of buff retained to keep some amount of that increased relevance.

kogi, hatchhermit and piotras like this.
  3. piotras

piotras Goblin Champion

Same here. Would be nice to see some interesting stuff happening on sucessful block or maybe use harnesses as card cyclers for better armour or blocks?

4. The Run

The Run Mushroom Warrior

rip in pepperoni, its sad to see you are easily pressured by to go back on what would have been your best change. i hope whoever came up with this change fought to keep it in because it really is a moment of inspiration that doesnt come too many times in 1 lifetime, hope you get another like it.

5. Fry_The_Guy

Fry_The_Guy Lizardman Priest

One possibility is that when you discard a harness, it becomes a duration 1 attachment. That way you get to keep them longer than other armor but cannot stack them.

6. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

Can't please everyone it seems :p

Btw I love the new Leap card <3 Unique and not too powerful.

Flaxative likes this.
  7. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

@M1chiel -- We've already changed a lot of those cards. Check the latest changes here: http://www.cardhunter.com/2014/08/balance-changes-round-three/

@Scarponi, @piotras -- Making armor, armor removal, and penetrating more relevant is definitely something we'd like to do. We made them way too relevant with the harness stacking buff. We're going to be looking into more interesting and less broken ways of pushing armor in the future, but it probably won't be part of this set of balance changes. No guarantees but my money's on new cards down the line.

@Fry_The_Guy -- Hehe, nice idea! I don't think we'll use it here, but it's a nice one to have in the arsenal.

piotras and Scarponi like this.
  8. Fry_The_Guy

Any thoughts about making encumber work on push effects? It makes sense thematically either way depending how you mentally visualize a character being encumbered. Right now encumber effects are not too exciting because it does nothing against team run.

9. Accent

Accent Hydra

Personally, I'm not thrilled with step moves being able to move 1 even with encumber (basically, encumber does nothing to step moves, except NS and Dancing Cut). Could that be applied to just move cards? (Or is encumber so powerful that this is necessary?)

10. kogi

kogi Ogre

11. Fry_The_Guy

Also, Freeze seems really bad for a green card now. Maybe change it to halt, instead of encumber 3?

kogi likes this.
  12. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

Hey, I can see playing with items that have Barge now. That's something.

Flaxative likes this.
  13. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Speed boosts never trigger on triggered movement.

Freeze definitely got the short end of the stick. It was basically only available on items that weren't competitive, though, so I'm not sure this affects the health of the ranked environment. Also, Healing Rays is arguably a worse emerald card :)

kogi likes this.
  14. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

Healing Rays is possibly worse than Greater Heal. Why not let it self target if you're already changing heal cards? :p
    And yea, now there are only that many cards that can move 4+ so Freeze got an indirect nerf. Maybe add 1-2 damage to it? :) Or +1 duration.

15. jday

jday Mushroom Warrior

I personally prefer the original cause fumble to this new 3+ no draw version - it was an interesting card, and the biggest weakness of it was whirlwind which is being addressed. I would encourage you to leave it 5+, draw a card, and either range 3 with no facing requirement or range 6 with facing requirement. If either of those is deemed too strong, I would be happy to see the card unchanged.

I previously considered most 2x or 3x cause fumble items an instant buy (my main barriers to running 3x priest fumble team being lack of owning the items and WW).

Fry_The_Guy likes this.
  16. Fry_The_Guy

It does seem like the current version is worse than the original. If the point of the change to begin with was to make the card more useful, we are probably going the wrong direction.

17. Scofield

Scofield Kobold

I think that Team Run should be taken into account in relation with the scaling down of the various step attacks. It is already a really powerful card and many times a match solver but I think that, after the reduction of the movement of the step attacks, it could become a little overpowered. Even because I thought that one of the aims of this balance was to avoid things like "running dwarfs" (i.e. Nimble Strike).

18. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

What? Sub-Zero Staff is definitely a competitive choice for 3DC for stacking different types of Encumber.

It might be interesting to change Encumber so Move-Only cards still let you move a minimum amount. I think there needs to be more testing though around Encumber reducing to a minimum of 1 before changing things though.

19. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

That was an idea we bounced around. Would like to see more testing of the current state of things before making anymore changes. A lot of the negative feedback to encumber changes has been, I think, reaction against change qua change, whereas all the positive feedback has been based on people's experiences with encumber.

20. piotras

piotras Goblin Champion

Regarding linear attacks (some sparks gained that feature during the balance changes), it would be interesting if linear spells could shoot through terrain attachments like illusionary walls or smoke bombs (current iteration always bugged me as not very intuitive).

That could be done by not taking into account these cards during line of sigh calculations for linear effects. Another way would be to extend the linear effects throughout the length of it's range even if you just target a board square at a portion of its range. However, the latter approach wouldn't allow for fine-tuning the linear path it takes (e.g. if you're surrounded by smoke bomb you could only target the square around you which would only allow you to shoot at angels every 45*).

kogi likes this.