[Feedback] Upcoming Balance Change MEGATHREAD

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Questor, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Scofield

Scofield Kobold

Ok, thanks, so I suggest to modify the text because the current one does not reflect what it really does. I suggest:

"When you take damage from an enemy card, look at the first card of the deck. If it is a Move card draw it, otherwise discard it. Repeat until you have drawn a Move card or discarded six cards."

Otherwise it will be misleading after the application of the card limit.

Squidy and Flaxative like this.
  2. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

OK so... what's next?
    I'm pretty sure that Deadly Spark is going to need a fix, that penetrating damage is insane...
    Nimble Strike has a very niche use, but the low damage really hurts it, especially against a small amount of armor.
    Also, I now prefer that Hard to Pin Down fails, since at least I get to move 3 or 1 afterwords. : P

3. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

In the post balance world wizards do need to be able to get their damage from somewhere... Seems to be penetrating bolt and deadly spark at the moment, but control/lava strats don't appear to be as strong anymore. Seems like they've maybe gone back to being turrets?

Sir Veza likes this.
  4. Hock Faraday

Hock Faraday Orc Soldier

Hot Flames might finally have a use in the metagame.

5. ClimbHigh

ClimbHigh Mushroom Warrior

Now the change is "prevent Encumber from reducing any move below one move point". Does this apply to Step moves?

Overall this Encumber change is a good change, as it prevents dwarf frozen helplessly on the lava for 3 turns.
    I think this should applies to Step moves. It is fine that the dwarf warrior crawling slowly one step a time toward the wizard. There are so much room for counter play during this scenario.

The buff to VP is still not enough. 24 total damage for 2 majors does make this a much more niche weapon than a nice weapon.
    I suggest either making them Step3, or retain its damage to 6 (preferred, as it still fit to the theme that if my warrior reach the wizard, the wizard is dead; also consider those harness stacking... ). There got to be some weapon that makes step warrior viable, or certain step warrior more powerful than other step warrior.

6. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

It does apply to step attacks.

7. ninoG

ninoG Kobold

Quick question,

is anything being done with trait cycling?

8. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Draw limit is a fact now. Check the test server to see it in action.

9. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

It is currently set at 10, which means it is basically ignorable.

10. kogi

kogi Ogre

Did I read right? NS changes to 4 damage? mega nerf?

11. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

Steps x damage from 24 to 8, yea, but it can fly now :D

12. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

So can geese, but I think geese might now do more damage.

Stexe likes this.
  13. Soltis

Soltis Goblin Champion

Overall the encumber change is terrible, it was better before when it didn't stack and only applied the strongest encumber card. It actually made you have to sit and consider the cost/benefit of racial speed and health. The only thing it really did was effect the racial movement card. That left practically every other movement card and enhancement to movement cards and team moves that use push and thereby ignore all encumber/halt effects anyhow. That doesn't even cover the slew dwarven get out of jail free cards.

I was coming here to suggest that they change it back to its previous iteration as well as making the thematic suggestion that the lava terrain also have "removes any cold based encumber effects" to it's "at the start of the round" clause.

Nimble Strike on its own was never really a problem, the problem was Vibrant Pain made it far too common. Frankly they just need to remove Vibrant Pain (and items like it) from the game. No more 6x of the same card items period. They keep playing around with nerfing and buffing Nimble Strike as well as the other step attacks all because Vibrant Pain exists. Which took Nimble Strike that was powerful because of the distance it allowed you to travel and made it commonplace. Which in turn allowed people to play dwarvs and stack them to ignore any downside to the extra HP they get for being naturally slow. Even if I had one it isn't worth watching Dwarvs fly around the map, so my vote goes to removing them and giving people treasure that sells for 2.5k per VP. So they can buy a new legendary at the new Daily shop.

That or they need to implement new additions to the token system and either add a token slot to everything. So weapons could potentially used 3 tokens and everything else could potentially use two. Or for the sake of not changing the UI, add in composite tokens say Crimson and Purple that would respectively be a combination of 2x Gold tokens to make Crimson and 2x Blue tokens to make Purple. So you could effectively raise a weapons cost to 3X gold tokens by using a Crimson token and a Gold token with the same UI you have now and the game would just pull 3X gold tokens. Which would allow them to add more categories for gear and if they want to keep the OP gear, then at least they make it painfully expensive to use.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  14. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

An interesting idea, though it wouldn't prevent the problem of merely re-freezing the newly unencumbered roasted dwarf-kabob.

I was able to figure out where you were going, but you'd help out the reader if you used the proper term "item" here (VP is an item, which is comprised of six NS cards).

The system already exists but as you can see the next tokens up the ladder don't come into play until level 25 which wouldn't currently work with MP which is at level 18 nor SP which currently tops out at level 21.

15. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I commented on this in a previous balance thread: items with 6 copies of a card are never balanced, they are either way too powerful (Vibrant Pain, Heartripper, or post-balance Deadly, Deadly Staff) or worthless (Mindless Aggression, Hammer Of Bashing). Even if we can't remove these items from the game, I'd like BM to at least promise not to make any more.

doog37, Jacques and Soltis like this.
  16. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

It's not a guarantee that consistent items will never make it into the game in the future, but, as we're now very well aware of the potential issues, we will most certainly keep them in mind when designing new items.

Soltis likes this.
  17. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

Blue Destruction is OK, no?

Stexe likes this.
  18. Soltis

Soltis Goblin Champion

That really doesn't strike me as a problem or any more of a problem than say a mage with 3 health standing next to a warrior who just drew an 8+ attack card and has first move that turn, that's just how the cookie crumbles. Tho generally when I have been encumbered in lava unless they have a cantrip I have first move the next turn. Since after they encumber you your next move is typically pass where theirs is typically lava, followed by mutual passing.

It gave the player a fighting chance to get off the lava square (that works quite well thematically) and turned what would have been a two card combo into a three card combo (four with a cantrip). Plus there is only one card in the whole game that has encumber 3 and it comes on three items (staffs). The most plentiful of which is a two count and not terribly useful outside of those two encumber cards. So pretty much any move 3 card would probably be enough because they are most likely being spammed with an encumber 2 which are far more plentiful and widely used.

There are of course the team moves that are all push so they ignore all effects and are arguably quite useful even when not encumbered. There is the racial get out of everything free card that is now a cantrip and any number of auras, quick run effectively doubles the dwarvs base movement making walk(move2) as powerful as run(move4).

Once you run out of friendly options there are always targeting your own unit with an attack, there is Force Canon, Force Bolt, Maze, Whirlwind, Barge, Simple bash and Lunging Bash. I probably wouldn't Strong Bash depending on traits but I might Able Bash. In short there is no shortage of ways to get your character off of a lava square when they are encumbered. Having a card with less movement than the encumber you are currently under should not be one of them.

19. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

All valid points. Though since you seem to recognize the value of thematic play, it is worth noting that thematically encumber should slow an opponent, not freeze them entirely which is already a game effect covered by halt.

20. Soltis

Soltis Goblin Champion

Encumber only reduces your possible range of movement potentially down to zero. You can still turn to face your opponent so your block has a chance of triggering, you can still play step attack cards you just can't move from your current position in most cases. You can even move if you have any movement card that exceeds the level to which you have been encumbered. Thematically that works out just fine.

Halt prevents you from even attempting to play movement cards and by proxy preventing you from even being able to play step attacks. So your only hope is that you can purge it or push the character. Tho there are quite a few ways to push it completely removes any form of movement from the equation.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014