Anyone done all challenges for one adventure?

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Sir Knight, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

I'm not seeing too many posts about challenges, other than perhaps the "no deaths" ones. I tried a "1 HP" one in The Wizard's Workshop, and predictably lost to the Ornithopters (need more Resistant Hide cards). I'm sure we need testing on this, and I'd like to see if any unexpected bugs (or secret features . . . ) appear when you accomplish all four on one adventure.

Anyone?

2. Cerebral Paladin

Cerebral Paladin Mushroom Warrior

I only tried the 1 hp one once--wiped in the first fight. I need way better defensive cards (or offensive cards capable of dropping enemies in the first round) to be able to do that, even on the easiest. Haven't tried the all items have disads yet, but I think I might be close to being able to make a run at that. I've done the other two on several adventures.

3. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

I dont like the 1hp challenges AT ALL. If you dont get just the right cards on the first round, people gonna die. Every roll on armor and blocking is life and death, and very special cards are needed, i've only found one with the Guardian Angel bit. I expect it to get worked on, maybe so that everyone only has half hp.

Its also kind of unfair when you're dwarves, you're big perk is having more hp, but now you got 1 AND your slow. Elves practically die in 1 hit anyways so no change for them :p

4. Neofalcon

Neofalcon Goblin Champion

I've completed a few challenges ("whole party must be CLASS" and "nobody can die" ones), and I'm also not a fan of the 1hp challenges. The "nobody can die" challenges are much more fun, and having 2 survival-focused challenges seems redundant anyways. I'd rather see other types of challenges like "complete with only 1/2 party members" or "finish in X total turns".

Wozarg likes this.
  5. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Honestly i wish they would remove the 1 hp challenges they are not only ridiculously hard which is fun but also insanely luck based meaning there is little strategy in beating them and just a lot of skull bashing with the 2-3 needed cards for the adventure. What i really want to see are the solo and 2 man quests there was talk about from the devs or someone talking to them a while back. Survival challenges are fun hard and interesting but they need to be more creative. Like no armor or shield allowed and such. I tried the simplest module for this and i got to the last room and lost because you cant keep more then 2 armor cards and the highest reliable one i have blocks 1 so a single 3 damage or more attack and its over.

6. Dugrim

Dugrim Orc Soldier

The 1HP is too hard, I think. It's almost impossible to complete the quest if you have only 1 HP.
    I was thinking about starting with 1 HP instead of full HP, more balanced and playable IMHO.

7. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

To be fair then they could just roll it in to the all priest quest at higher levels because that is what you will play.

8. Kaerius

Kaerius Orc Soldier

Instead of rolling all elf wizards because your only survival option is not being hit?

9. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

I honestly think arms length warriors with flat armors have a better chance to survive then all wizards based on my trials

To make that more clear lots of range 2 attacks and armors that work on a roll of 1 or more basically 100% if unmodified

10. Kaerius

Kaerius Orc Soldier

Point I guess. Anyway I just found out the hard way that the 1 hp challenge is ALSO a no-retries challenge(you don't get the usual 2 retries). That's extremely harsh for such an RNG screwy challenge.

I have beaten troglodyte warriors with all challenges except that one... I think I need some better arcane items for that(specifically my decks get too bogged down with crappy 2 range attacks, which is in range for the trogs).

That's a major point against the warrior variant btw: if the enemy can attack from range 2 as well, your advantage is gone and you have to risk your life every time you enter attack range.

11. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

But as soon as i get the double reliable armor they basically cant touch me but yes rng hell for sure.

12. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Ruby portal with a lot of resistant hides is probably the only one you could realistically beat right now. Still trying to find a way to get 2 hides on one character without spending talents. What i could see working out better was if it was a 1 hp challenge basically you and they have 1 hp each making it at least a "fair" fight.

13. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

I'm really very interested in your continued feedback on the quests, since we haven't tested them very much.

The 1hp quest is VERY hard but they are doable, particularly when you come back later in the game with much better items. It's possible that they are TOO hard though, I admit.

14. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

What about on the really low level dungeons where you cant equip talents? I imagine some of the dungeons are way more doable than others, but ones with long range/aoe monsters just wont be fun or fair.

Lastly, how many boxes of chests full of legendaries do you get for completing such a challenge ?

15. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

The main problem here is they de level you to a point where you cant use gear good enough to do it. For example i could have 3 resistant hides on 3 of my characters making ruby portal realistically beatable but because I'm deleveled so far i cant use a single talent im locked down to 1 of that card making it a statistical nightmare to win 4 maps in a row and draw at least one while not being stuck on acid without movement left. I'm working on the early trog one and the ruby portal trying to armor up enough to survive but its really hard one big attack or a single armor roll missed and its over. But i will keep trying and honestly i think if we bash it enough one person in the beta might get it but it is way too hard as far as i can see. but you are definetly correct to not just give in and admit its impossible lets see if we can and if we cant after a few hundred tries it clearly would need a change. I do have to say that i love all the quests except that one. I love that its rock hard but i hate that its so hard that even if you have the right items its still a rng quest as far as i can see.

Sir Knight you infected me with tldr curse you....

16. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Yeah, I understand the talent issue, but there are definitely still items that are much more powerful for their talent cost.

17. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

I completed an All Wizards one in an earlier one. Mostly because the first time i did the adventure i did it with all wizards the first time so i wanted to see if i could do it again. I was successful.

18. Sir Knight

I'm suddenly wondering whether Caverns of the Troglodytes (Trogolodytes . . . ) could be good for the 1 HP challenge. Those pests want to keep their distance, but if you keep them TOO far away for their tastes, they can't hurt you. Hmm.

Edit: Argh, I forgot to include the reason I was thinking about this adventure at all. It's only two battles long, so you have fewer opportunities to have your entire challenge end because of a bad hand. What other (higher level) adventures are this length?

19. HD23

HD23 Orc Soldier

I have done all 4 challenges on Caverns of the Troglodytes, and I don't recall getting anything all that noteworthy.

20. Sir Knight

Awesome. Congratulations. And now the rest of us don't have to worry that there are tremendous fields of potential bugs to be tested after all 4 challenges are complete.