New League Details

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jon, May 6, 2014.

1. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

I would like to have the possibility to try this for free other than in the test server (where I don't know why I can't purchase pizza). I'm not asking for prizes here, just a few days to try them without any rewards before I decide to spend money on them. I will be more enthusiastic in participating in a laegue that I know I like, instead of jumping into the unknown just like that.

2. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

They had a full week of it, but I do agree that it would be nice to have a "free entry but little to no prize" option either standalone or built in with the other one. Curious to see how it turns out since there's a lot of room for testing and growth in the area.

3. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

They had a full week with the previous leagues, I mean they should do something similar (but with no prizes) with the brand new ones so the players get to know how they work before entering at a pizza-fee.

4. Stexe

Ah, yeah. That would work. It does feel weird to pay pizza to enter a League you've never played in before and will most likely do poorly in. That's why I test them on the test server, but I can see that most people don't have that opportunity. Good point.

5. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Worth noting, the prize for winning zero games costs sixty pizza if purchased directly from BM.

6. Stexe

You mean one win. Don't think you get prizes if you don't win anything -- at least you didn't when they did the test Leagues.

7. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

No, you would get nothing. You still have to win 1 game in order to receive a prize.

Tie-breaker system still rewards one-sided matches and punishes people who beat strong opponents.

Neofalcon, Jacques and Stexe like this.
  8. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Gotcha!

9. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

I think you're right, it's good to have the ability to actually earn pizza if you do really well. I'm going to increase the first place prize from 50 to 75 pizza.

10. Jon

You can try out any league game by running it as a casual game.

11. Stexe

Yes, but not the same! (I'm already testing the new ones out now)

12. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

How is it different Stexe?

13. Stexe

Because you're choosing your opponent and people aren't playing for prizes. It still works out for testing I guess. I just hope that League population doesn't drop due to no one participating and you have to queue forever or just face the same podmates over and over.

Also, people will play differently too -- in a League Pod you're playing to minimize lost VP to maximize tiebreaker points (at the moment and I *really* hope this changes). So it is a bit different in mindset. But I think it works overall.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  14. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Honestly I don't let the VP bother me much. More often than not, I can lure my opponent into taking the VP so that I can kill them. At the end of the day, 1 or 2 or 4 VP shouldn't matter much- even when I'm in the lead I see people running around wanting to kill one of my guys to score some VP's instead of trying to win.

It shouldn't really matter whether you give up more points in order to win. Check your league standings often, it's usually clear either how many points you need or that you/they don't stand a chance to win 1st place.

15. Stexe

Yes, but then you run into those games where you're tied except for points and you have to play very differently. There needs to be a better solution than "the number of points you've given up" as it favors swingy un-even matches more than close and difficult games (which should be rewarded more heavily).

16. Jacques

Jacques Hydra

I think it does matter because usually a 4-0 is not enough to got the 1st place because you tie with someone. In Chess Madness I once got 2nd place with a 4-0 and 22 out of 24 tiebreaker points. I have already said this in other threads, but the problem with this system is that it punishes players who got the toughests opponents, even if they manage to win those matches, because they would usually get less tiebreaker points against them. The only thing that should matter imo is if you have won or lost the match, not the star difference.

Neofalcon and Stexe like this.
  17. Squidy

Squidy Hydra

When I check the deck lists of Monkey Magic, I can see Brachiation: http://wiki.cardhuntria.com/wiki/Cards/Brachiation
    According to wiki the card is plain is simply a charge. But in reality, the card has Fly and does 2 damages per square moved, not just one. This can be misleading.

Stexe likes this.
  18. Jon

Yes, this card got modified since the initial release, so the Wiki entry is out of date. Perhaps @Phaselock will be good enough to update it.

19. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Wiki updated, thanks. :)

Stexe and Pengw1n like this.
  20. Squidy

Squidy Hydra

Any idea on how long those new leagues will last?