Ranged weapons?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by eyci, Jan 11, 2013.

1. eyci

eyci Kobold

Hello everyone, another excited player-to-be over here.

I've gone over most of the available information on the game, but I've yet to come across any ranged physical weapons except for a few throwing spears. I'm talking specifically about bows/crossbows - anyone know whether such weapons exist / are planned for? I'm sure they have been considered, given that they're such an integral part of fantasy RPGs, so I'm just wondering why we don't see them around.

Anyone in the beta can give any insight into this?

Thanks
    eyci

2. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

The initial release of Card Hunter does not feature the Archer class and several other (what most people would consider as staple) dnd classes. Provision for those will come in future expansions. There are however, several ranged weapons which I've just updated in the wiki (check out the thread here). Hope it helps.

Farbs likes this.
  3. Unlucky Scarecrow

Unlucky Scarecrow Goblin Champion

Is there a difference between physical and magical attacks? My initial assumption was that, a arrow and a magic missle spell would be entirely mechanically similar, the only real difference being the fluff/flavour behind them...

4. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

The keywords. Sometimes, people will have a defense against or bonus to an "Arcane" attack, but not anything else like a tossed spear.

5. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

Perhaps Warriors should get 1 ranged weapon slot, or just have the option of swapping 1 weapon for a ranged weapon. I'd love a crossbow on my dwarf.

6. just as long as his armor doesnt play a factor to hit% I dont want to be kite bait for a dwarf taking pop shots at me as my thaco rolls/card draw blow

7. eyci

eyci Kobold

Some ideas from me about bow/crossbow mechanics, to differentiate them from ranged magical attacks (besides the damage type modifier mentioned by Sir Knight):

1. To-hit is based on dice roll - like the converse of armor / block cards

2a. Bow attacks have min range of 2.
    2b. Crossbows have no min range, but to simulate the reloading aspect, they can fire at most once per round: attack card text would be something like
    - after attacking, attach this card to its caster
    - no more 'crossbow attack' cards can be played while this attachment is in effect
    - at the start of each round (when cards are drawn), remove this card if there are no enemies within range 1 of you.

The reloading mechanic could possibly be generalized to include other kinds of equipment / contraptions which require preparation of some kind.

I've not played the game yet so all this is just thinking aloud - feel free to criticize!

Thirandras likes this.
  8. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

Theres no hit % in any attacks anyways, if you have no defense cards like armor or block, then something will always hit you. No matter how many pieces of armor and shields and defensive items you equip, you gotta have the card in hand :p

9. Thirandras

Thirandras Kobold

I wonder if that would mean the character that just fired the crossbow would be unable to act on his next turn as well (due to preparations on the crossbow)

10. good to know thanks

11. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Just to putt this out there to people wondering mobs can have ranged non magical attack i have only seen it on one mob type and it was a throwing net attack.