Board games!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Megadestructo, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Appyo

Appyo Kobold

Does Munchkin count? Can't get enough of that game at the minute!

2. Aaelon

Aaelon Kobold

Currently playing heroquest with my 2 sons, they love it. Got the add ons and space hulk to play with them after that. Then
    maybe some warhammer quest :).

3. Isotope-X

Isotope-X Mushroom Warrior

If you enjoy that style of dungeon crawler, you might want to check out the Decent series.

4. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Dusting off an old thread! ^_^

"casual" card games (5 min explanation / < 30 min play)
    COUP IS AMAZING, but is sadly out of print... again... and I still don't have a copy for myself despite giving multiples as gifts... T_T
    Love Letter
    Hanabi

old favorites
    Dominion
    Diplomacy
    Betrayal at House on the Hill
    Twilight Imperium III (with extensive house rules, including 14hr game timer)

excited about / need to get my hands on...
    Spartacus
    X-Wing
    Android: Netrunner

5. Truhlsrohk

Truhlsrohk Kobold

Try Amazon .... Showing 5 copies of COUP

6. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Indeed I have... and I can print my own copy for a fifth of those prices. A deck of 15 cards shouldn't cost $50. :p

7. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Android: Netrunner is one of my favorite games. Definitely a must-buy IMO.

Recently, I've gotten into Suburbia and Rattus Cartus as well. Zombicide continues to stay up top also!

8. Sisquinanamook

Sisquinanamook Orc Soldier

Got "Thunderstone Advance" as Easter Present.
    Awesome Deckbuilding game :) A bit like Ascension - which I can recommend as well.

Someone asked if "Munchkin" counts, well this being a "Boardgame" Thread - how about Munchkin Quest?
    The Boardgame version of Munchkin?

Another one mentioned "Haunted House on the Hill". I totally agree. One of my all time favorites.

Lately I think of acquiring "Order of the Stick - the Game". Nice little Dungeon Crawler with a bit of Coop. And I would say a Must Have for OotS Fans.

"Smallworld" should be mentioned as well. Even if it is not that high on top like the others - for me at least. ;)

I most definetly want to play "Pandemic" and "Zombicide" someday. They sound very interesting to me.
    The problem with Zombicide: it takes awhile until the german versions are published, we are a bit behind the original releases. And although I have no problems with the english language (see Haunted House and OotS) my parents and some of my friends cannot speak english, which is why I try to get most of the games in german. <.<

btw: everyone remembering me: I am back. Sorry for disappearing so suddenly. :)

*cuddles*
    Sisqui

Sir Veza, Megadestructo and neoncat like this.
  9. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Good games! Zombicide is a lot of fun and has tons of great scenarios and Pandemic is an excellent co-operative game as well.

Netrunner: Android is excellent, btw. Highly recommended!

10. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

I'd still probably be using Thunder Road as a party game if someone hadn't stolen it from me ages ago.

These old marketing images really crack me up. Bowl cuts and polo shirts for everyone...

[​IMG]

...as we pretend that we're this guy:

[​IMG]

11. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Welcome back! I have that game and while it's quite fun, the base game takes a long time to play. My first game was with two friends and we didn't even get to the end in 6 hours. We had some problems with the rules, we found out we had been playing wrong and that probably slowed us down (we didn't try to change the past, though). The game developers know about the long games and they have released a small expansion called The Shortening which makes the game shorter.

I'm sure the base game would be faster with more experience, when you know the rules well enough to not make mistakes all the time. For me, unfortunately I haven't played the game again as it's very hard for me to get enough people with enough free time together to try it again.

12. Board games I have played in the past:
    Scrabble, Trivial Pursuit, Sorry!, Cribbage, Clue, Backgammon, Axis & Allies, Risk, Candy Land, Chutes & Ladders, Chess, Checkers, Chinese Checkers, Life, Girl Talk (with my sisters and her their friends), and Monopoly.

As for Monopoly...
    [​IMG]

Sisquinanamook likes this.
  13. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Clue and Stratego are my favorite board games, though it's really hard to find players. Anyone else ever play Payday?

LeisureSuitLoli likes this.
  14. Sakuko

Sakuko Kobold

Huge boardgamer here. Current group favorites are Eldritch Horror, Pathfinder CG and Sentinels of the Multiverse. For two-player we're still going through Mice & Mystic and after that Decent awaits another turn.
    But we've been to Essen, so there's still some backlog, and soon it'll be Essen again. :p

Megadestructo and neoncat like this.
  15. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Oh Essen! I want to go there SOOOOO badly!

I've lately really been into Suburbia and Powergrid. There's a huge boardgaming scene in Orange County and it's pretty awesome :)

16. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Once upon a time there was a card game called Netrunner. I liked it. Recently it seems they brought back the name and released new games. How is the new face of it?

17. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

No more random packs. It thrives as one of FFG's "Living Card Games" versus a collectable like Magic. I vastly prefer that kind of game since I tended to lose out in Magic to people who'd buy specific cards versus my "Booster-pack-a-week" habit. It's also more streamlined and faster-playing. I miss the Cyberpunk 2020 world (as an old fan of the R. Talsorian RPG) but this new "Android" world is pretty cool also.

18. Sakuko

Sakuko Kobold

Essen is pretty cool. I live just about 30 minutes away, so we have to go. We went 3 days last year, and still could only test a fraction of what we where interested in.
    I just wish they had a little more Ameritrash games.

19. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

I love several hours away (by plane) so, yeah, not a regular stop for me. I love "Ameritrash" games (though I find the terminology a bit much) as much as I love Eurogames for very different reasons. Maybe because I really like screwing people over in games (I'm a bit competitive) and I love tons of "fiddly bits."

20. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Goblin Champion

Love me some Ameritrash! :D And yeah, the term is a little bit derogatory, but it's kind of stuck with me, lol.