Thoughts on the Expansion?

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Stexe, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts on the expansion are.

I'll post mine below.

2. Stexe

The expansion content seems cool and will definitely mix up the game, but I feel it has a few problems. Power creep is a big one (new cards that are just better than old ones).

Some other things is the feeling of "selling power" with the new Start Pack containing a Whiteglow Flail and other decent Epic items for 50 pizza. Granted, they aren't Legendaries... but it would be like selling Lochaber Axes for 50 pizza...

On a less serious topic... I'm wondering why the loot drop animations have been tied to the animation setting now. I play at super fast animation speeds and now all the items drop in at once! Less exciting for the big reveal of what you find!

3. The Final Doorman

The Final Doorman Orc Soldier

Rust monsters hurt

ParodyKnaveBob and Finial like this.
  4. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

+1
    I'm not wild about the new adventures, but it is new content, so I appreciate it for that.
    There is definitely power creep. Not all the new items are more powerful, but a few may need downward tweaks.
    I really like the faster loot drops. IMO, this is a very slow game and I'll take whatever speed-ups I can get.

5. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I like the speed ups. I've explained my thoughts regarding "power creep" in this context before.

6. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Thank god they aren't selling Lochaber Axes for 50 pizza... that would be much worse than a couple Whiteglow Flail and Staff of the Fire god. Much worse.
    Still though, giving away two powerful Epics is a bit much... I am tempted to buy a starter pack.

Pushback parry is nutso powerful. I mean, I like the effect- you can turn your opponent around and then stab them in the back- but then again, it's a 1-point card that is way too easy to get. Imagine if there was a rare shield with Weak Parry/Parry/Parry (Level 7 tokenless). That would be a very strong item, unfair even, and yet they make Twisting Shield/Hexagon Shield (with the whole "Why the heck is Surging Shield Block worse than Hard to Pin Down???" question being raised again).

Blurg. I have thought about this before but I just can't wrap my head around Block Melee 2+ for no cost.

Stexe likes this.
  7. Mirkel

Mirkel Goblin Champion

The lower level adventures felt kinda easy, but once I got to the Troll King the gloves were off. Finished on first try but almost all of the fights were really tough, just the way I love them. Not much thoughts on the new cards yet, haven't used any so far. I'm just super glad there's new content, I had bought pizza back in October and it's not until now I finally got to buy more adventures with it. Still got two adventures left, leaving them for later.

I'm having fun. :)

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  8. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

** Salute! **

9. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Crushed Troll Tyrant with all old items, WarWarPri loaded up with parries and big attacks. No redoes on any map. Disappointingly easier than on test server where I didn't have as big a collection :p

10. Ector

Ector Hydra

Why do you resist the tempting? :) I've bought it immediately, as it even solves my question whether to buy Sabo's Flamespit Staff - Staff Of The Fire God is better. Also, there are Hexagon Shield, Twisting Shield and Sharp Spetum (I had only one so far, and it's looking great).

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  11. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Yep, it does get easier when you know what's there and what works. :) I find it pretty impressive to go in cold and make it through on the first try.

12. tuknir

tuknir #3 in Spring PvP Season

Finish all modules in the first try..xcept the last oen where im on my 6 or 7 trya nd cant kill the damn dragon.
    Leagues are fun, Mp maps are weird, dont like the ones i seen so far, seems to melee and mf oriented.
    Still trying to adapt to then,but chaneg always good..now need farm and make a better deck
    Im losing like hell, this update came in bad time, on middle of the spring season :p

13. Mirkel

Mirkel Goblin Champion

I might have given the false impression I just aced every stage. I had to redo fights one and three once, but didn't run out of retries (which to me counts as making it through on the first try). So not quite as impressive as I could be. ;)

14. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Still much better than I did on the test server, and impressive enough.

15. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

KITTY CATS
    KITTY CATS
    KITTY CATS

ParodyKnaveBob and raffishtenant like this.
  16. Magic Elves

Magic Elves Thaumaturge

Although I haven't started on the new level 18 adventures yet, I'm enjoying the new levels, monsters (SHARKBEAR), and banter between Gary and Melvin. The tournaments are also a nice way of getting to the new expansion if you're too hard-hearted to donate any money.

ParodyKnaveBob and Flaxative like this.
  17. Made it through the 7-9 adventures with only one replay IIRC, but Troll Tyrant is making me tear my hair out and wonder if a 3DC variant is ever going to cut it, or if I need to bring in a priest, a tank, or a whole buncha...elves? The combination of the miserable sightlines, mad monster mobility, and did I mention Troll Regeneration (ARRRRGH) is playing hell with my usual tricks, so I obviously need some new ones.

The new monsters seem pretty creative and fun for the most part. Still getting to know the new cards, but I'm wondering one thing right off the bat: is anyone actually gonna try to work Impetuous anything into their builds?

Flaxative likes this.
  18. Stexe

Lots and lots of grammatical errors in the new treasure hunt levels as well.

"You hear birdsong and the cries of arboreal beasts as you the ground slopes upwards." ???

"When you remove it, the walls and floor age rapidly, part of the southern wall disintegrating completely." Should be "disintegrates completely."

19. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

That actually isn't incorrect. And your suggestion would be; for your suggestion to be correct you'd need to replace the second comma with a semicolon.

20. Stexe

Ah, okay. Yeah I can see it that way. I thought it might be a tense change but it isn't. Maybe I should hold off on grammar suggestions until I get more sleep. :-P

What about this one though? "You leave him with your pockets full but lingering doubts..."

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    ParodyKnaveBob and Flaxative like this.