Winning matters in SP but not in MP. Isn't that weird?

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Avarice, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Avarice

Avarice Goblin Champion

My main motivation when playing Card Hunter is to collect gear.

Having said that, then the most efficient use of MP is to play just a few games per day as fast as possible and not sweat the outcomes. With the ELO system, I'm going to win about half of my MP matches over time. Period. There's no reason to worry about individual outcomes too much. My approach is one of the (possibly) unintended consequences of incentivized PvP.

But here's what I think is a little odd: If I'm interested in collecting gear while playing SP then it DOES matter to me if I win. A loss is just wasted time, rather than the "price of admission" that it is in MP.

So... I care if I win SP. But not if I win MP.

Weird.

neoncat and Sir Veza like this.
  2. Qui11

Qui11 Kobold

The top players win about 2/3 (or more) of their matches. Consistently. The penalty for that is harder opposition. Ratings aside, whether the time saved by needing fewer matches to get to, say, the third chest (4.5 games if your win rate is 2/3 vs. 6 games if you bat .500) makes up for the presumably longer games is hard to estimate. But if "caring" increases your win rate for any reason it might be worth it. You are not doomed to 50% wins.

I never care about losing MP if I don't notice any of my mistakes. Otherwise I'm pissed.

3. The Final Doorman

The Final Doorman Orc Soldier

Because of the scarcity of active players with extremely high or low ratings and the small number of total active players, your win rate can actually deviate quite a bit from 50% if you play particularly well or poorly. Lower ranked players will tend to play opponents with elo higher than their own, meaning they'll have a lower win rate if they maintain their elo. Conversely, higher ranked players will tend to play opponents with elo lower than their own, and will have a higher win rate if they maintain their elo.

Flaxative likes this.
  4. Avarice

Avarice Goblin Champion

My suspicion is that [Mid-Tier Ranking + Fast Games] is still faster than [High Winning Percentage + Games That Aren't As Fast].

The Median time of my last 33 games is exactly 5:00. (300 seconds)

A player with a 66% winning percentage would need to be finishing games in 400 seconds or faster to be as time-efficient. (300 x 1.33) That's 6:40.

Are the high-ranked games wrapping up in under 7 minutes?

Just eyeballing all of the results -- it looks like the Median game length of all games (regardless of rank) is somewhere in the 7-9 minute range. If I was told the Median game length is 8 minutes I'd believe it.

I'm assuming somebody's got an API that will reveal the actual Median MP game length?

5. Absolutely not. I can think of numerous 1700+ opponents who will always take the timer to under 10 minutes.

Flaxative likes this.
  6. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

imo, what is weird, is your 1st sentence: "My main motivation when playing Card Hunter is to collect gear."

If that's true then it's better to have lower rating and faster games, nothing weird there.
    My main motivation is to obtain as high rank and rating as possible. Items are only tools to achieve that. Also, my average game time over last 801 games is 16 minutes.

GunsmoKing and Flaxative like this.
  7. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

I like the way the nickname "Avarice" accurately reflects the mindset. :cool: I want a full set of everything too! What's weird about that? I still don't like MP, but I do try to play to the first chest. Some days. When I remember.

Avarice likes this.
  8. Lord Feleran

Lord Feleran Guild Leader

Okay: then it is weird that he finds it weird that if he has such mindset then winning is not important in MP.

Sir Veza likes this.
  9. It's entirely subjective. I have a pretty high ELO, but I don't actually care what my (or anyone else's) ELO is, it's just a reflection of wanting to use a good deck because it's fun to compete (speaking for myself). Above all else I prefer to collect items. I do find it a lot more frustrating to be confounded by a difficult SP scenario, which used to happen much of the time. People have different priorities, I don't find that weird.

Flaxative likes this.
  10. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Gotcha! Makes perfect sense to me.

11. Avarice

Avarice Goblin Champion

If the mindset is:

"Maximize gear gain per time invested"

And we're reasonably confident that when it comes to acquiring gear quickly that:

Faster > Winning

Where
    Faster = 50% win rate and 5 minute games
    Winning = 66% win rate and 10 minute games

Then it follows that:

Winning is not important in MP.

Speed is.

Sir Veza likes this.
  12. Questor

Questor Ogre

I guess you made your intented point you aimed for.
    What you forgot to mention is, that there is no point comparing SP to MP when the goal is to get the most items with the least investment in time because SP always beats MP in that case.

So to answers your topic, the whole topic is pointless and unlogical because you have to win to get items. The items/hour discussion is a seperate matter for each part of the game.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  13. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

Not me. I play as if the game ends in 10 minutes. Granted it might go over slightly, but I generally play super fast (thinking and planning on the enemy's turn? WHO KNEW?).

Granted it probably has cost me a few games, but I feel like the time I've saved has been put to better use in playing (and winning) more matches. But that's just me.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    Qui11 and Sir Veza like this.