Swiss-style Tournament Info / Sign-Up!

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Stexe, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Stexe

Stexe #2 in Spring PvP Season

CONGRATS TO THE WINNERS: Eren (1st tie), illkill (1st tie), Karstedt (3rd), GunsmoKing (4th)! Also, thanks to everyone who played!

Hello! I'm going to be running a Swiss-style tournament (type of tournament where everyone plays the entire time for points: http://challonge.blogspot.com/2013/01/swiss-tournaments.html) for Card Hunter this coming weekend (Saturday, 22 February 2014 at 8 PM UTC / 3 PM Eastern).

It is open to anyone in good standing within the community and will have a similar style to the previous tournaments that have been run. The rules and other information can be found below.

Note: This is more of an experiment than a full tournament, so rules are subject to change. I've contacted Blue Manchu about pizza prizes and considering the past tournaments it is likely there will be prizes (EDIT: which they have now confirmed will be given to winners), but this is more about having fun!

What:
    Swiss tournament where everyone is playing the entire time (no elimination). It will last approximately 3 hours, with each match lasting around 30 minutes (11 minutes per side, with a few minutes for breaks in between rounds, and for record keeping updates).

There are specific rules that must be adhered to for the tournament. Violation of these rules will not only result in forfeit for this tournament, but potentially future tournaments. Plus, it is all for fun -- so don't cheat!

The limit for entries is currently set at 64 (which is 6 rounds of matches minimum for Swiss). I seriously doubt we'll reach that so it is essentially open to any number.

When:
    Saturday, 22 February 2014 at 8:00 pm UTC to 11:00 pm UTC. It will run for approximately 3 hours so please plan accordingly. You must be present for the entire duration, as there is no elimination in the tournament. ( See here for when it is in your time zone: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Card Hunter Swiss Tournament #1&iso=20140222T20&ah=3&am=30 )

How:
    The rules for the tournament are as following (and were primarily determined by community voting).
    - All items must be of "Epic" rarity or lower (i.e. no Legendary items)
    - Only one specific copy of an item can be found in the entire party, including sideboard characters when combined to form a party (e.g. if you have Goat Boots on your Warrior you can not have it on any other character, unless it is your sideboard character who replaces that same Warrior; e.g. if you have a Runestone on your Wizard you can not have it on any other character and can only have one copy of it on your Wizard). NOTE: This restriction also extends to holiday items and their counterpart. You can not use both the holiday version and the normal version as they are effectively the same item (i.e. any item that gives the same cards as any other item is limited to a single use).
    - Whirlwind and Whirlwind Enemies are banned. You may use items that contain those cards, but you can not play those cards. Doing so results in an immediate forfeit for the current match.
    - Every player must submit their team build [see Registering Build below]
    - After each match the winner of said match should post in this thread with the final scores: [will be made when tournament starts]

Registering Builds:
    1.) Go to Multiplayer Keep.
    2.) Load your tournament build.
    3.) Hit F1 twice to open the console.
    4.) Type " partyanddecksbbcode " and hit enter. This copies your build to your clipboard.
    5.) In a private message to me, just paste and send.
    6.) Send your primary party and your one sideboard character in the same message (copy your main party code, then remove one character and add your sideboard character, do the above steps, then paste and remove already sent characters).

Sign-Up: Either by posting your In-Game Name here and/or (preferably) by applying here: http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/56FBiHjpst (By signing up for Challonge you can keep track of your standings much easier)

Maps / Time:
    One of these 4 maps (see attachment below) will be randomly chosen immediately before the match. Each round will have another one of the 4 random maps, but no round will repeat the same map twice in a row.

The maps are going to be: Deep Forge, Melting Glacier, Celestial Temple, Gladius Triple.

There will be 11 minutes on the timer per person. The maps can be downloaded below.

Finalists:
    After 6 rounds, the finalists will be determined based on previous matches (tie breakers are determined by previous enemy scores using the "Median Buchholz system" which is automatically implemented with Challonge). There will be 4 finalists (all which will be getting pizza as a prize, with amounts varying depending on the number of entrants) who will advance to the final rounds which will be held at a later date. It will be a round-robin format to determine the ultimate winner. More information about this will be detailed after the basic tournament is over.

Other:
    Make sure to download the map zip file below before the start of the tournament!

Any questions or concerns feel free to comment below!

Attached Files:

2. Stexe

As part of the experiment, I'm going to see if running a tournament like this is feasible while also participating. I will post my build here before anyone else and will not change it. Additionally, I am now forfeiting any prize I may receive for placing to the next person in standing. This is more of a test than anything else. Finally, I may bow out if needed to ensure that "byes" are reduced to a minimum.

Holder for additional information.

MY BUILD:

Dverf
    Level 20 Dwarf Warrior

Stexe
    Level 16 Dwarf Wizard

St.exe
    Level 2 Dwarf Wizard

SUB:

Clureek
    Level 20 Dwarf Priest

NOTE: My character "St.exe" and sub "Clureek" both have Corian's Boots, which means in order for my team to be valid I must *always* sub "St.exe" with "Clureek" to maintain the "only 1 item per team rule" (no changing items between characters mid tournament).

3. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Yes! Thanks for organising, we'll definitely give you some pizza to hand out. We handed out a couple of thousand last time but we could bump that up if you do get a lot of players.

Stexe likes this.
  4. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Darn. I'm away from the internetz this weekend. T_T Hope everyone has fun!

Stexe likes this.
  5. PaladinGP

PaladinGP #1 in Spring PvP Season

Hi Stexe!

How will the sideboard work, please? Is it: No moving or changes of items, just 1 alternate character to swap in or out if desired?

If so, does the "1 of each item" restriction apply across all four characters, then, even if the fourth isn't playing, or can the 4th have a duplicate item with one of the others if they don't both play at the same time?

Stexe likes this.
  6. PaladinGP

Also, the link is converting 8pm UTC to my local time, rather than the 7pm in the body text. Perhaps an edit is a good idea so they are both the same? Thx

7. Stexe

The sideboard is no moving items, just 1 alternate character to swap in or out. So you could use the same items on your sideboard character as long as you swap out a character that has those items (no duplicates in the party).

I'll take a look at it in a bit. It is 1 AM here so I'm heading to sleep, but I'll definitely fix it in the morning and set up a "count down timer" -- it is basically the same time as SLG's tournament but 1 hour earlier (it seemed a lot of people were complaining that it was too late in their time zone, but I didn't see anyone say it was too early).

8. PaladinGP

Hehe - I was fearing that. It'll be 8am Sunday for me, so someone's going to get a gentle first round :)

For anyone who gets here before the edit, if I've read it correctly, it means the timer is currently 1 hour *late* but the in text description is correct. Watch out!

Signed up.

9. illkkill

illkkill Mushroom Warrior

Sign me up! Thanks for the tournament!

10. Karstedt

Karstedt Goblin Champion

Yeah, it's saying 8 pm UTC... which is 7am here... meaning 6am... ouch.

When do sign ups end, I'll have to see how thrilled I am with whatever build I come up with before I commit to 6am.

11. The Mask Makers

The Mask Makers Mushroom Warrior

7PM UTC is 2AM in my time zone :(

Btw is there anyway I can look at the maps used? I can never remember the name of the maps so it'd be better if I can see what they look like first.

12. PaladinGP

13. illkkill

illkkill Mushroom Warrior

A question: I posted my build already but can I change it before the tournament starts
    (in case I stumble across a staff of winter or some epic priest weapons).

14. Squidy

Squidy Hydra

In.

Notes:
    -will submit builds at the last time, hopefully some good epics will drop for me until then.
    -if you want to get more players, convince blue manchu staff to get some freaking GAME NEWS/EVENTS on their main page. They can keep their twitter but real news with current events would be great. I would have loved to play last tournament but I only heard about it after it was played. Heard about it in multiplayer chat, then registred a forum account few after. There even wasn't any mention of the tournament in the twitter crap which I was checking regularly caus I thought that was the news.

15. tuknir

tuknir #3 in Spring PvP Season

so let me see if i understand: we can change 1 char? so i can submis my normal deck (3 chars)? plus a extra char in case i want swap?

16. Stexe

EDIT: I've changed the time to 8 PM UTC (for now), same as SLG's previous tournament. Hopefully that will be slightly better for people as most posts seem to say it is too early? I'm trying to find a time that suits as many people as possible, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Looks like some people are going to be left out no matter what time I schedule it. :(

What time zone are you in? I'm having trouble loading the time / date website at the moment. It should be 2 PM Eastern US. It is hard to find a time slot that fits as many different time zones as possible -- I just remember from SLG's tournament that at least 2 or 3 people were complaining that it was late in their time zone, so I figured 1 hour earlier would be better. If this is overly problematic I can change the time.

EDIT: Apparently it is listed at 8 PM UTC and not 7 PM UTC... maybe I should just keep it then so you don't have to wake up at 5 AM for this. I just know someone was complaining (I think ReesJ?) about it being past 1 AM for where they are. Finding a good time slot for everyone is really difficult... And it looks like someone else says it will be 2 AM for them at their time zone. I'd love if there were two tournaments going 12 hours apart from each other to get as many time zones as possible, but I'm stuck on what is the best for the largest majority.

Yes, it is probably best to wait to submit your build until a day before. Just replay to the same conversation you already started with the new build.
    Actually, the Wikia has an incorrect picture for Gladius Triple. I told Jon about it, but someone should probably update all the PVP maps that are not correct (which is quite a few).

Yes, you can submit a total of 4 characters. One of those could in theory have duplicate items with someone else on your team as long as that character is swapped for the other member with same items (but that would limit who you could use to swap them out).
    I'll see what I can do about having Jon re-tweet my comment announcing the tournament. I'll also be posting it in the multiplayer chat lobby at least 4 times a day... so hopefully that will draw a crowd too.

17. Qivril

Qivril War Monkey

IGN: Qivril

18. PenPenguin

PenPenguin Kobold

I just started playing, but a tournament sounds fun! Count me in! Even though I'll probably eat dirt, I'll love to have some fun with the vets. Hope there's participation prizes O=]

19. Stexe

Probably no participation prizes since we could get a lot of people showing up just for that. You will definitely learn a lot though by playing in one of these!

20. The Mask Makers

The Mask Makers Mushroom Warrior

Wah so the time moves to 8PM UTC? Which mean 3AM for me...

I could've tried at 2AM, 3 is too late though. Shame.