Guide: Decks based on a theme - suggest and I will create

Discussion in 'Deck Building' started by Pilgrim Bailey, Feb 4, 2014.

1. ElShafto

ElShafto Goblin Champion

BARGEKILL!

2. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy okay. But its going to be terrible. No way to make that ladder viable probably.

3. PaladinGP

PaladinGP #1 in Spring PvP Season

I bargekilled 3 times one day last week. It was awesome.

4. Yeah the priest buffs plus barge isn't the worst thing in the world. I do enjoy also chopping 2 people for 7 damage on weak chops with buffs as well

5. ElShafto

ElShafto Goblin Champion

I was more commentating on the previous deck suggestion than asking for a deck, but hey, I'll try anything once. :)

6. Excedrin

Excedrin Kobold

I don't have most of the key stuff you used in your no-step build, so I tried this build, but it doesn't seem to work. I'm not sure if it's just drastically bad or if I'm making a lot of mistakes. I have definitely lost a few games where I tried things like inspiring presence within range of 2 of the other teams guys and similar stuff that I chalk up to learning to use the build.

Anyway here it is.

Eccolosc
    Level 19 Human Warrior

1 x Parry
    6 x Fiery Stab
    1 x Impaler
    2 x Stab
    1 x Quick Step
    1 x Bruiser
    1 x Dodge

Kalfield
    Level 18 Human Priest

1 x Quick Run
    1 x Team Heal
    1 x Charge
    1 x Vulnerable
    1 x Altruism
    1 x Bludgeon
    1 x Jump Back
    1 x Purge
    1 x Light Heal
    1 x Run, Team!

Zilcolbret
    Level 18 Human Wizard

2 x Acid Blast
    2 x Vulnerable
    1 x Dodge
    2 x Flame Jet
    1 x Force Bolt
    2 x Acid Jet
    1 x Run, Team!
    2 x Squeamish
    1 x Maze

I've tried Sword Of The Lion instead of Bec de Corbin as well. Can't really say which is better at this point. I'll probably try Perfect Command or Superb Tactics instead of Superb Command.

For the priest, Oak Roots and Tome of the Tree are almost definitely not the best options. Nimbus Blade might be better than Glinting Eye Hammer in this case too.

Lots of stuff that can be tweaked, example below:

Eccolosc
    Level 19 Human Warrior

1 x Dodge
    1 x Squeamish
    2 x Stab
    3 x Parry
    6 x Fiery Stab
    1 x Bruiser
    1 x Impaler

Zilcolbret
    Level 18 Human Wizard

1 x Dodge
    2 x Vulnerable
    1 x Force Bolt
    2 x Acid Jet
    2 x Flame Jet
    1 x Run, Team!
    2 x Acid Blast
    2 x Squeamish

Kalfield
    Level 18 Human Priest

1 x Minor Heal
    1 x Run
    1 x Fiery Stab
    1 x Squeamish
    1 x Altruism

Teleporting warrior is very amusing.

If you have any suggestions on how to improve it, I'll try anything. I will say that just toying with this build has been quite fun, the games lead to interesting situations.

7. Tysonius

Tysonius Kobold

Pretty sure you can make a bargekiller with path of barge, path of knives, hotspot, wall of fire :D

8. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

Would like to see a serious Path Of Knives build.
    Would require some fairly rare items like Booming Ring, Sarigo's Rod, and it would be nice to have Boxton's Razorstaff along with other epics and legendaries with Path of Knives. This would be a fairly strange control build, using Winds of War and Force Blast/Force Bolt/ Telekinesis/Improved TK along with possibly a Barge Warrior (XD) and using Walls to force your opponent to move around more, and maybe even encumber to keep them at a distance you like. I would even suggest WWE just for the possibility of shunting an enemy into a corner somewhere where they would have to stay or take serious damage to get back. Would definitely benefit from some P. Rays and maybe acid.
    If only there was a "World of Knives" card that could target 2 or 3 people with the same effect as Path of Knives.

Susurrus in Gloaming likes this.
  9. Don't forget Bloodfoot Robes!

10. cptscrimshaw

cptscrimshaw Kobold

Apologies if this has been suggested already, but I'd love to see a deck based solely on keeping VP squares and preventing damage. I'd imagine it would include some combination of WWE, Nimbus, or perhaps even a crazy armor build using General Jelom's Helm and Nasrum's Moccasins. The entire goal of the deck is not to do damage, but to prevent it.

11. I will try and get around to some of the new suggestions soon. One thing to consider is when making a deck, its often much better to shrink through trait cycling than to just add more of the same type of attack cards you are looking for.

So prime example: bloodfoot robes that were linked are actually terrible for this build imo. The aura is wasted and its better to just pick a tokenless cycle robe.

12. I agree. My post was kinda tongue in cheek, and made right after the fourth set of these robes dropped for me and I said to myself, "What the heck am I going to do with all of these?" - then remembered having just read the post above mentioning all the Path Of Knives items.

Funnily, I sent our esteemed deck-tweaking guildmate just such a deck list not too long ago including Whirlwinds, General Jelom's Helm, Nasrum's Mocassins AND Barge! I have been plugging away at this unmined archetype for a while, referring to it as "Pacifists" or "Fire Hydrants" (dwarves just squating there). I think Wallbuilding might play a role, too. I was running a priest, but the odds of him being in range to Nimbus teammates while holding a distant VP were not good enough to keep him on the team. Still, I own a lot of Nimbus Blades...

13. Not necessarily relevant because it's a completely impractical build, but I just noticed that Path Of Knives holds the record for most cards per character in Jayce's and Phaselock's Extreme Builds lists on the wiki: a comical total of 21 possible PoK cards per wizard. And yes: this would require legendaries and epics in the form of 2x Boxton's Razorstaff, 3x Amulet Of Blades, Booming Ring, and Bloodfoot Robes or Prillith's Robes Of Pain—and you'd have no staff or arcane item slots left over for attacks that actually moved opponents around to take advantage.

I've concluded that it's probably not worth the slot cost to add much more PoK to my control wizards, but it's undeniably fun when the right cards come up and you can hit an opponent or two with PoK, 3 WoWs and a (usually final) lava resting spot for 29+ damage apiece. I did that to the yellow dragon just today, and judging from the sounds he was making, he was NOT happy about it.

14. tuknir

tuknir #3 in Spring PvP Season

Ive used a pok+wow build for a long time, its good and fun :) had around 11 pok and 11 wow between 3 dwarv wizs

15. Jade303

Jade303 Thaumaturge

If only there was some way to force an enemy to Sprint 8 squares and slash themselves to death. ;)
    Path Of Knives is hilarious in SP. There are so many enemies that will just Fly or Teleport around until they kill themselves.

16. Manikal

Manikal Kobold

Not a theme per se but how wld u build a team w/ 2 VP's?

17. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

AAARRRRRGGGHHHH.

*ahem* Please tell me what you sacrificed to the loot fairy!? ^_^

18. I would hit buttons at random while mashing my face into the keyboard and still win games easily.

PaladinGP and neoncat like this.
  19. Manikal

Manikal Kobold

I'm not that talented. I've run combos of 2war/1clc, 2war/1wiz, 1war/2wiz, 1war/1clc/1wiz. What's the concept for 2VP's? Equip on the same war and stack B.Rage + mass? My latest build is a war w/ 2VP, vamp clc w/ 6 mass, a control wiz with mostly WE, volcano, encumber, and short p.ray.

20. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Well, um, PB... I think Manikal has just discredited by demonstration all of your theories about CardHunter gameplay. :D

Pilgrim Bailey likes this.