[Suggestion] Guild Raid System

Discussion in 'Guilds' started by Kalin, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

This is a spin-off from this discussion:
    https://forums.cardhunter.com/threads/pvp-event-idea-guild-wars.5194/

I thought I'd try something simpler and more automated. First we'd need a few feature:
    I had completely forgotten that conversation when I posted this:

This is how you would prove that a scenario is valid: the game would allow players to lock the scenario before posting it to the forums, and when the scenario is played the API will report who locked it along with scenario name, who played, who won, and timestamp.

With that (and some help from Farbs' stats site) we can do guild raiding:
    • When a guild principle beats a map labeled [RAID] that they themself locked, that map becomes the official raid map for that guild.
    • When a guild member beats their own guild's raid map, they become their guild's Champion, replacing the previous Champion.
    • When a guild Champion beats another guild's raid map, the Champion's guild earns points against that other guild.

The stats site already tracks guild principles and members, so it wouldn't be too hard to also track current raid maps and champions. Only having one champion per guild is to slow down the big guilds (they'll spend half their time reclaiming the champion status). All the stuff with beating your own map is to prove that it's not impossible or even too difficult. (It can be really devious, but that's fine: you're supposed to booby trap your guild hall). There is one possible way for a guild leader to cheat with this, and if that happens will have to change it so all maps are locked by the Raid Ref.

2. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

I'm afraid that's not going to work. If you can raise your guild's status at the expense of another guild by playing PvE content the guild with the most free time will automatically raise to the top. This would reveal nothing valuable about the relative merits of the guilds. You'd just be creating a mandatory time sink for guilds that cared about this and it would quickly become a boring chore even for them.

You could add some sort of limit to how much you could earn by this system, but then you'd still have content guilds would be obligated to play every day/week/whatever the limit period would be. Not much fun. In effect, it would be a punishment for being in a guild. I'd be very leery of creating systems which force guilds to do anything. All guild raid/defence/etc. systems should be completely voluntary affairs. You shouldn't be able to be coerced into anything, otherwise it's a system ready-made for bullying.

Everything above is IMHO, of course.

I'm all for having fun, trap-filled raid maps and more guild interaction but the guild scoring system related to them and the coercion angle needs to be carefully considered to avoid unwanted side effects.

Potato Priest likes this.
  3. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Any guild can opt out by simply not making a raid map. But you're right that the scoring system needs some thought.