[Suggestion] Custom Scenario Wishlist

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Kalin, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Scenario Editor:
    • Allow players to load scenarios from any campaign module they've completed.
    • Allow the use of any saved party, including SP parties.
    • Change the "create" (board) button to "edit", and if a board is already selected, load it when you enter the board editor.
    • Have a button that pops up an image of the current board's terrain and spawn layers.
    • Auto set the size of monster groups based on spawn points on the selected board.
    • If there are "any group" spawn points, show how many are free out of total, and put "+" and "-" buttons next to the size fields for each group.
    • Do we have room to put char portraits next to monster groups?
    • Warn me if I hit "create game" without saving changes to my scenario.

Board Editor:
    • Combine the "table" and "lower doodah" layers into "Bottom layer", where you select table type and lower doodah type, and the lower doodahs are automatically generated when tiles are added or removed.
    • Have just one wall tile for each palette, and auto-select the graphic based on adjacent tiles (changing those tile's graphics too). Ditto for water.
    • Move the dead char markers to the spawn layer.
    • Use arrow keys as an alternative to crtl-dragging the table.
    • Make it so right-clicking a tile shows lines of sight from that tile.
    • Scroll bars in palettes when needed (doodah decals really need it right now).
    • Stop using black for the palette backgrounds; any other color would be better.
    • Copy and paste option that copies everything except spawns (and dead markers).
    • When you exit the board editor, return to scenario editor. If you saved the board you were editing, load it into the scenario.

2. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Some more:

Monster Editor:
    I'm thinking just adapt the Keep interface, but in addition to selecting a figure, name, and items, you can also set level, cards drawn, and victory points. You could only use figures and items you own, so this would boost the value of costumes.​

More Decals:
    • More furniture, including wall cabinets, an upright stool, and a 3x3 round table.
    • More magic glyphs in multiple colors, especially 1x1 and 2x2. How hard would it be to foreshorten them so they look like they're on the wall?

3. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Scenario Editor:
    Allow the designer to change the victory points monsters are worth.​

Board editor:
    Add terrain attachment types to the terrain menu, so we can have permanent lava, acid, spikes, mud, smoke, illusion, and bless.​

4. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Scenario Editor:
    • For VP Goal, allow "Automatic +N"; you could store the value as -N. Or maybe just have an "Auto" button that sets the goal to whatever the current monsters are worth.
    • When setting up a battle, fill spawns assigned to the current group before filling "any group" spawns. (This is a general client change rather than editor, but it's needed for certain types of maps.)
    • Add the ability to edit before and after battle text in the scenario editor, and save it in the scenario file (and show it when testing).
    • Allow users to "lock" a scenario. A locked scenario cannot be edited, and you can't export the board or view the before and after text (unless you play and beat it). Only the user who locked it can unlock it (or a dev), and that has to be done on the live server.

Art:
    • When I try to place the wagon decal with "Snap to grid" on, it always gets offset half a tile so it fills 8 or 9 tiles. I have to turn off Stg to fit it in 6 tiles.
    • Remove tile borders from the shadow and bridge (Forest palette) decals. No decal needs to show tile edges; you can add a decal just for that if you want.
    • Make a black line decal that can be used to outline blocked terrain, like what was done for water in the Melvin palette. Then we wouldn't need so many wall tiles and won't end up with all those black dots inside walls.
    • Add a white version of the shadow decals to use as fog/mist.
    • I'd like an empty wagon decal, no arrows or garbage, and nothing blocking the wheels.
    • I'd also like a closed chest decal (1 tile), and a small keyhole decal I can add to doors.

neoncat likes this.
  5. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Scenario editor, player section:
    • Have an option to choose which side is controlled by the hosting player (and maybe a Random option).
    • Have an option to choose which side goes first (again maybe with a Random option).
    • Enable the IsAI box on host side so you can have AI vs other player and AI vs AI (Karen vs Melvin) battles, with the hosting player automatically added as spectator.
    These options would allow quick, easy testing of board balance without needing to make multiple versions of the board with swapped spawn points.

Scenario editor and Monster databases:
    Right now monsters are stored in two different tables (Monster and MonsterDecks), and the list in the scenario editor is hard coded so it doesn't quite match the Monster table (insert Melvelous nag here). Also, the Monster table contains many entries that are nearly identical duplicates (like the five entries for Armored Skeletons) which is confusing and awkward and limits what designers can do. The differences between these entries are limited to: Group ID, Display Name, Minion Names, Figure, Draw, and Point Value.

My suggestion: merge all these similar entries so that each deck has only one entry; then we'll only need one table. Each entry would be able to have multiple Figures (select which one you want in the scenario editor), and singular/multiple versions of the Display Name and Draw (automatically selected based on group size), and then the designer would set the Point Value in the scenario editor (the Monster table could include a default value).

Flaxative likes this.
  6. Scarponi

Scarponi Moderator

I can see how this would speed things up/make it easier... however I could also anticipate times where I wanted a tile to do X but it always auto aligned as Y which would be super frustrating. Personally I prefer a little more work necessary on board design but an ability to customize as far as my imagination will allow.

If I may add a suggestion/request: Doodads of the most common tile designs (water, walls, grass, floors etc.) that are only half a tile that are split vertically and horizontally. Something like this:
    Doodad suggestion.jpg
    I could do a lot of interesting boards with such things.