Start a guild!

Discussion in 'Guilds' started by Farbs, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Jokes aside, I'll probably only join a guild if someone makes one based on skill not rating (and they think I'm not the worst player in the world)

2. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

No one thinks you're the worst player in the world. My guild isn't based on either skill nor rating but on having fun and doing the best one can while enjoying the game. Anyway, cheers in your guild search.

3. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

I'd like that, but I have a strict rule of only adding features that anyone else with access to the API could add. It might be possible to add a manual guild tag somewhere though. Hmm.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  4. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Don't you also have a rule of being one of the devs and allowing yourself to build awesome new features into the actual game? ;)

5. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Can you join more than one guild? I like the looks of NeonCat's, but I was also thinking of creating a guild for map makers.

6. neoncat

neoncat Feline Outline

Note - mine isn't terribly serious, it was more of a "first post!" thing. You're making me do work if I have to go figure out the ritual thing, but you're certainly still welcome to join. ^_^

7. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Can't join more than one ATM, perhaps ever.
    If you want to have a mapmaking guild, might I suggest the Sorcererers? Tuknir, most prolific of mapmakers, is already in our gang. Would be happy to expand that wing of the operation. :)

8. Farbs

No, I'm too busy making guilds! Seriously though, once we get leagues bedded down I'll see if I can find time for some of the smaller community features.

Flaxative likes this.
  9. Farbs

Oh cool. You might want to build your own custom ceremony scenarios then! Provided the basic rules of the ceremony are kept intact (name, who wins etc) the board and (where relevant) monsters can be whatever you want.

10. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Farbs likes this.
  11. Farbs

12. So, can there be a statistic of "Guild Overall Win Rate" or "Win Rate Since Member"

ParodyKnaveBob and Farbs like this.
  13. What's to prevent exploiting the points with this system? Lets say I'm not a member of any guild and don't wish to be. True. Lets say there's a guild I like. True. Lets say there's another guild full of people I personally believe to be irritating morons. True. I can look at the rosters, throw games vs the first guild and win vs the second. If one did it correctly, no one would even know. But I wouldn't do that, because I'm not that petty. Probably true.

14. Farbs

Scorpion - that's one of the fascinating things about metagames - the way they affect the core game and how it is played. I wouldn't be terribly upset if these guilds had a social aspect to them.
    If, however, it turns out that people find a way to easily run and abuse alternate accounts to gain cheap guild points then I will find a way to counter that, or just start modifying offending guild data, or both.

15. Farbs, I don't find that in any way more or less problematic than someone doing the same thing and throwing games to their friend on the ladder, and only trying vs enemies on ladder as well. And you guys have implemented a report function to prevent abuse.

16. Farbs

That is a good point PB. I wasn't wearing my Blue Manchu hat while thinking about that reply.

17. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Wow, looks like guilds are off to a good start. Is it going to be largely an external endeavor ? Also, what about raiding ? Any chance of guilds having their own Guild house in the form of a custom map submitted to Jon for inclusion in the client itself ? oh...damn, I think that would open a can of worms... :(

Farbs likes this.
  18. Farbs

1. Yes, for the foreseeable future. There's still a heck of a lot I can do with it though, and I really love building things under these sorts of limitations.
    2. Raiding is very much on my mind. Tess and I are working on a feature that'll allow anyone reading game results via the API to verify that custom scenarios haven't been altered, so it should be possible to, for instance, set up a raid challenge whereby 10 members of a guild need to complete the same PvE scenario within an hour of each other to unlock the next phase, wherein 5 of them must something something something, after which a random member of that five is chosen to challenge the grand dragon something something. There's a frightening amount of scope for this stuff. Oh, and the same feature should be useful for things like tournaments (ensuring the right scenarios are played) and simple challenges (I bet nobody can beat this map).
    3. Nearly! On that front, Flaxative has already built a custom guild house to use in Sorcererer initiation ceremonies. Since [META] just checks the scenario name and its outcomes for all the existing ceremonies you can use whatever map data you like! Also, tuknir has submitted a Sorcererer vs Power of Fires for inclusion into the next Manticore, so that might happen too.

Flaxative, Bearson Onyx and Phaselock like this.
  19. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Oh, I was thinking of tying 2 and 3 so people can raid and defend a guildhouse, ie, a custom map(s) together. Right now, its possible to play a custom map against the AI and/or a player.

Is there any technical limitation against, say, Snorre clicking on Sorc's guildhouse/custom map chain, playing/defeating against the AI or if Flax/members was online, he could take control of the AI as player 2 and play against Snorre ? Some timer feature for defenders to respond to would be great. Guildhouse defenses would be just creatures where the strength of the monsters are tagged to some guild bank account and the map is submitted by Flax's guildies, yada, yada etc...

So a guild is considered successfully breached if X numbers of Snorre's members defeats Flax's guild Y number of times in Z minutes ? and successfully defended otherwise. I see 2 new batches of code for 'raid matchmaking' and 'enabling/disabling guild for raid' as to-do. Food for thought, maybe ?

20. Snorre Liljegren

Snorre Liljegren Mushroom Warrior

Uuh raiding sounds sweet, then we can finally show them evil sorcereces!

On topic: it's kinda crazy how many points your guild can lose if a member lose a battle to a newly created guild.. It makes it a Huge weakness to have one bad player in the guild, since the battles that he lose, will cost much more
    more, than the good players will get when they win (If your guild have 1200+ rating i mean)