Unofficial statistics site

Discussion in 'Guilds' started by Farbs, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

I do, thanks! May I ask why the scenario dropout time is so short, 24 hours? Probably not many custom scenarios get played every day. Their creators might still want to see the stats for their maps to improve their work. The current time limit forces a creator to check the stats every day and archive them theirselves if they don't want to miss any data. Unaware of any practical limitations and difficulties it's easy for me to suggest a dropout time of one month instead.

2. ElShafto

ElShafto Goblin Champion

Boo. I want to be in the Hall of Shame. It would simply add validation to what I've felt like the last two months playing this game ;)

Flaxative likes this.
  3. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Yeah scenario dropout could be lengthened, I agree with Jarmo. The stats on ranked maps are also super cool. :)

4. HD23

HD23 Orc Soldier

Hey Farbs, there are some issues with the Winning Streak function. The page has me at 5 for both best and current win streak, while according to the in-game results I should be at 7 for both. All 7 games have been played within the last 24 hours. Reading this thread makes me think that my previous loss, where I got crushed, reduced my standing to below 10, then the next 2 games didn't count towards the streak. Can/should something be done about this?

5. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

I kept the scenario dropout short since for less popular maps they're really more of a "what people are playing" list than "how scenarios are being played". Also I've noticed that most custom scenarios have highly inaccurate stats since the designers frequently load them up to test them and quickly resign out to make alterations. I could change the timeout to a week or more, but I think the information presented would end up being less useful to everyone, rather than more. Am happy to hear arguments about it though.

Hi! That's working as intended, but yeah it's an unfortunate site effect of the Standing system. Since there's no way to differentiate between someone getting blitzed legitimately and someone lazily passing their way through a battle (or even beating up their own characters) to pre-tank their rating before attempting a winning streak, the system has to ignore the first two wins. Sorry about that.

6. Stovepipe

Stovepipe Kobold

Great work Farbs. Down the road it will be fun to pull up stats for how you do vs 3 wiz or how you do vs a specific player over 50 head to head games.

7. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Ok, good points, thanks for the explanation!

8. Am I the only one who is curious about what those "Guilds" mean?

9. Snorre Liljegren

Snorre Liljegren Mushroom Warrior

No, i have been thinking about that aswell :))

10. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Maybe they're planning many vs. many PvP and we can organise into gangs to fight each other in groups? This is pure speculation on my part.

11. My guess is that it's going to be simpler than that, basically just a new way of looking at the current data. I'm guessing that if we two would form a Guild, that page would simply show the average stats of our Guild (adding wins/losses together etc.). This way we could kind of compete against other Guilds for the top spot.

12. Snorre Liljegren

That would actually be pretty cool SLG, really hope he does that, should be rather simple :)

13. Farbs

My current thinking on guilds is an Elo rating variant, something like:
    • Elo parametrized similarly to the game's ranked matches during ranked matches against other guilds
    • +/- 1 rating point for a regular ranked match against someone who isn't in a guild
    • +/- 2 rating points for a regular ranked match against someone who isn't in a guild if the winner has <4 points or the loser has <2

I'm not sure whether casual matches against opposing guild members should count for anything.

Most of the guild admin work occurs by performing "ceremonies", ie playing specific custom scenarios with special names. I'm working on this system now, and have just about finished a proof-of-concept where you link your forum name to your profile by beating up a notary. Using this system it should be possible to create initiation ceremonies, ceremonial coups, banishment ceremonies etc. I'll create template scenarios, and if people want to build their own specific to their guild they can go for it.

I'd love to hear more ideas for this though. What sorts of weird and cool things could we have happen in response to specific battles? For instance, there could be (totally optional) ceremonies whereby the loser is banished from their guild, or even a ceremony held between two guild principals where the loser's guild is subsumed by the winner's. I haven't spent much time in guild drama so I'm not really up to speed on what people like to get up to - any ideas?

Flaxative likes this.
  14. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

You know how to keep us in suspense, Farbs... can't wait to see this stuff.

15. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I've wanted a link between game and forums accounts for ages, but I would never have dreamed of this solution (and this can't have been the simplest thing to implement). I hope there is verification from the forum side to stop me from linking game!kalin to forum!Farbs or something.

Know what I would do with this? Have one where you beat up Cuthbert to exchange one of your figures for one currently in your guild's wardrobe. The wardrobe would start off stocked with the 9 figures from Basic Edition. This would allow guild members to trade figures with each other.

16. Snorre Liljegren

Wow farbs, sounds like you thought this trough! Cant wait to see this :)

Also have another idea, under Scenarios statistics, would it be possiple to see what kind of team that win the most? Dwarfs vs elfs for instance or wars vs wiz? :)

17. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Is it just me, or did the stats site get a ton faster? Pages had long loading times before but now I can check a player's stats almost instantly. (EDIT: Is it a caching thing? Though I'd been getting long load times before even for players whose stats I'd already checked. Anyway, it's cool.)

18. Farbs

It's sort of a caching thing - response time largely depends on the number of api calls the site needs to make. We haven't optimised the api yet so it can be a bit slow.
    The site works via a scraping process, which periodically reads all battle results from the api since it last ran, requesting up to 25 results at a time.
    This process runs:
    • Every 15 minutes via a cron job. This is as frequently as my web host will allow it to run.
    • Every time someone requests a page, unless it has already run some time in the past minute.
    If you flip through the site you should notice one slow load, followed by lots of quick ones, with a small load spike every minute (unless someone else is also using the site).
    The size of the initial load spike depends on the number of battles that have been played since the process last ran, which could be anywhere between 0 and 15 minutes' worth.

Flaxative likes this.
  19. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

20. Farbs

UPDATE:

I've added the profile linking ceremony discussed above. Unfortunately it doesn't verify the link with the forum, so you can just lie there, but it's a start. Please check it out if you get a chance and let me know how you go with it. I'm not very fond of writing documentation or instructions so any feedback on that would be really helpful. Ta!

Oh, also I added thousands separators to some of the larger numbers.