Unofficial statistics site

Discussion in 'Guilds' started by Farbs, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

Hihi!

Over the break I spent a bit of time futzing with the public api and built this.

Cool huh? I just finished styling it up, and will next add explanatory notes for things like the Standing system, who does and doesn't qualify for each leaderboard, and the like.

Feedback, suggestions, and competition in the form of your own unofficial sites, are all very welcome. I'm also happy to share code if that helps.

Enjoy!

2. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Can't check my player profile ? Clicking on profile just rotates the logo ? I'm using the player profiles link :) Clicking on any player's profile and typing in from there just throws 'not found' !

Also, what do the values in hall of shame mean? Most reported ?

3. Farbs

Haha, whoops! That should be fixed now.
    That said, you still won't see your profile. The site works by scraping through the new battle data as it arrives, and it looks like you haven't played any battles since I started collecting data yesterday.

Standing works like this:
    Win: +1 Standing
    Lose with >=2 points and your opponent >=4 points: +1 standing
    Lose with <2 points or your opponent <4 points: -2 standing

This means you can't just auto-resign every second game to artificially limit your rating, since your standing also tanks and you get removed from all the leaderboards.
    Occasionally people do lose standing just by being blitzed etc, but generally most people seem to hover at or near the maximum of 10.

I also don't count wins toward win streaks unless your standing is perfect, so it's quite hard to deliberately line up a win streak by tanking your rating.

4. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Ok, understood. I guess the 'Shame' word in Hall of Shame needs a new name, was mis-leading for a while. And perhaps the explanation on the point standings somewhere in the Leaderboard's page would help reduce confusion etc etc... Nice, Gary's on a great losing streak :D

edit: ok, this is weird... [Unknown] played 134 games since you started logging yesterday ? hmm...

5. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Thanks for the stats site! I noticed an inconsistency: the player currently with the best win streak, Petkov13, has a win rate of 62% on his profile page but the top-ranked player on the Win Rate page, SilverFalcon, has a win rate of 53% and Petkov13 isn't on the page at all.

6. Farbs

Yep, you need 50 games logged before you appear on that page, which is why the list is so short. This is another of those explanatory notes I need to write.

7. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Ah, ok, thanks for the explanation!

8. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

For some reason, the site does not have a player profile for Cardotron2000. If it's because of its rating tanking, I suggest an exception to that be added for the AI players so their data is always available. I'm sure many human players are interested in them.

Also, are the clocks of your site and the game site in synch? I watched a match in real time and immediately after it ended I checked the stats for the winner and his stats showed the win (his first entry on the stat site) but Time Since Last Battle was given as 9 minutes.

EDIT: For another player the same situation showed Time Since Last Battle as 1 minute. Is the battle end time taken from the player's system clock (seems unlikely)? Or maybe the 9 min was just some glitch.

9. Farbs

Interesting... I wonder if Cardotron2000 might be the mysterious player "[Unknown]". I think Cardotron may have been added in the same update as the api names table was populated, so that'd make sense.

Re times, darnit, that might be a timing glitch. I'm trying to work in UTC for both though. Are you sure it was the correct win that appeared, and not a previous one? The site updates no more frequently than once a minute, so if you checked it immediately after a match the result might not have propagated yet.

10. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

It was the correct win as it was the first entry for that player in your stats. I had happened to check his stats before the match and they were not there yet, he hadn't played yet after you put the system up. I watched a second match of his immediately after and the same behaviour showed there: match entered into stats very soon after the match but Time Since Last Battle was 9 min or so. But like I said, I later checked the stats for another player immediately after a match and the time was 1 min so the possible glitch isn't consistent.

11. Farbs

That's super weird! I blame Tess' API :)

12. Cool stuff. I like the clean layout and easy-to-use navigation.

I didn't fully understand what the "Hall of Shame" actually means but it sounds really bad. Currently it looks like an equivalent of a forum topic called "These people suck".

I was also wondering if it would be a good idea to show only the positive stats, like for example only win-ratios above 50%? I don't know how the masses feel about this, but I could see someone not being happy to see his/her name next to the worst win-loss ratio of all time. It should still be possible to view the stats of any player, but I think it might be better if the less than desirable stats would not be visible in the public list.

Farbs likes this.
  13. So any data prior to yesterday won't be tracked? Does this mean that once someone plays 50 games beginning yesterday their stats from yesterday - forever will be tracked?

If so, certainly provides an incentive to me at least to actually try for rating and wins.

Also, will this or can this track %s based on party composition?

Ex.
    Pilgrimbailey - 1% win ratio with 3 priests.
    Pilgrimbailey - 92.5% win ratio with 3 wizards
    (Example values)

14. Farbs

This is a very good point. I'll remove the hall of shame.

The win-ratios should sort themselves out as more people break through the 50 game barrier, assuming there are at least 100 people with a <50% win ratio.

Yep! Go for it!

No, sorry, it's really not built for that. If you (or anyone else) wants to build a site for that though that'd be great. The core chunk of my code is here, if that helps.

15. Farbs

Oh, I figured out Jarmo's timing issue. The time shown is since the last battle started, not since it ended.

Jarmo likes this.
  16. PaladinGP

PaladinGP #1 in Spring PvP Season

It's worth noting that some builds like mine often blitz certain other builds, played by high-ranking players, 6-0 or 6-1 if things go right.

It shouldn't be an issue with "Standing", as they only lose a point for one game, but it's probably worth monitoring the stats for a while to see if anyone suffers (and can't appear on the win streak page for regularly losing standing). Especially if there is a deck archetype that wins a good amount, so is viable, but when it loses, loses *heavily*.

So worth monitoring for the real data, I think.

Farbs likes this.
  17. Farbs

Yep, I agree PaladinGP. Ta.

I added scenario stats to the site today. Enjoy!

Lusus121, Flaxative and Pengw1n like this.
  18. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Ok, thanks for the explanation!

19. Snorre Liljegren

Snorre Liljegren Mushroom Warrior

Good job farbs, really like it :)

20. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

It seems to me [Unknown] is indeed Cardotron2000. Looking at Results in Card Hunter multiplayer and your stats gives a match between their last battle time and win streak length.

Re: the api names table: But... but isn't the names table populated continuously or new players wouldn't show up? Or is there a separate names table for the AI players or something?