Mauve Manticore

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by PIZZA, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

I was past the last alarm tile, and in attack range at the 2 minute mark generally. Still took 10+ attempts - and kept drawing moves, blocks or low damage attacks that the door kept negating with solid wood. No, I'm not making it up - like I said, probably due to some really wonky rng on my part. I understood the map after 2 tries, not so sure why people keep thinking I didn't figure it out?

2. SystemIsDown

SystemIsDown Mushroom Warrior

Yeah, and I believe the enemy mage scores you two points. I let the mage rush in ahead of the Ogre and then took him out. Clumped everyone at the door on the right and let the chopping dwarf do the rest. Not too difficult as long as your card draws are decent.

#3 was kind of neat, but I had issues with the RNG too. The door kept making his armor rolls, and I kept drawing blocks and run cards. Took me a few tries to clear it.

3. Gerry Quinn

Gerry Quinn Goblin Champion

Very fun series. Personally I like having a set team from time to time, it makes a change from having to build a deck!

First map was, as someone said, well constructed . I lost the first time but only because I hadn't realised there were victory squares. Pretty straightforward so long as you draw wall of fire to kill the ogre and the door at once. With bad draws you might have to just get out and leave the ogre behind (actually maybe you should do that anyway unless you have attacks to spare, in the end he had one point when I left the room and I never bothered finishing him off).

Second map was interesting, but a bit slow. I just stood on the shredder side of the house, sucked up the pain and vampirised myself back to full health, eventually killing six of the enemy. The ogre came in but didn't really get involved, I guess someone warned him that killing his team mates all the time is not cool so he should just stand there and look scary.

I liked the third map a lot - I made it on the third try with just one second to go, despite having planned exactly what to do. My internet connection is not the best, and I suspect that may be the cause of problems for some players. A few seconds missed waiting for a response is the equivalent of a useless draw; worse in fact, because at least a bad draw leaves more damage cards in your deck.

4. progammer

progammer Ogre

I'm not sure if this happened to anyone, but my first turn in map #1, the geomancer draw a Telekinesis and slam the door straight inside the room and into my warrior's face. I thought that was funny because it restrict the warrior's movement. He was able to do this before the door draw its immovable for some reason. I can't telekinesis the door later on my turn

5. tuknir

tuknir #3 in Spring PvP Season

lolol thats prety funny, never seen that happen, ai is crazy

6. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Technically, immovable only affects opponents' pushes and slides, so wouldn't the geomancer be able to Telekinesis the door even after it's played immovable?

7. TheSench

TheSench Kobold

I believe he had it "figured out" but ran out of time waiting for an attack card to be drawn (I never knew that was even possible). I know I spent a good many turns simply passing while I drew blocks and moves, although I still managed to beat it.

8. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

I generally enjoyed these. Kudos to those involved with putting these together.

1) This felt the closest to a standard level to me, and I though it was pretty fun and well balanced. Beat it multiple times, but each was nail biting in different ways; killing or immobilizing the ogre, getting out of the room in time, stopping the other enemies before they collect enough VP.
    2) Loved the theme, not so much the priest decks. Generally felt like this was hardest because of the cards the priests had at their disposal, but really enjoyed the idea of holding off a goblin invasion.
    3) This was closest to a puzzle, cute and well done. Not sure the time limit was needed? I fell into the same situation as other seem to have where I was just trying to draw decent attacks and hope he would finally fail an armor roll. But it was fun to figure out.

9. progammer

progammer Ogre

Yep that was it. He telekinesis'ed after I made my first attack (a stab to the orge)

10. Mirkel

Mirkel Goblin Champion

One of the things that made me quit at this point was the fact my first draw had zero attacks on all four priests, making it all seem rather hopeless ... or pointless.

11. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

But but but you can heal the doors :)

12. Mirkel

Mirkel Goblin Champion

I considered it for a moment before just glumly watching the goblin horde kicking them all in to sit on the VPs. Then I ragequit and went to sit in front of my light therapy lamp ... these 7 hour days make me curse my ancestors for migrating far too north. :(

13. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I feel you, I can barely stand how short the days are and they're much longer for me :(
    And yeah, healing the doors only gets you so far. I put martyr's blessing on one of them, hoping that it would draw more armor cards if it got hit, but its deck size was apparently 0? So that didn't help. Hahaha.

14. hwango

hwango Hydra

Yeah, the RNG totally matters here. I managed a win, but had 3 seconds left. If the door had made that last armor roll I would have had to try again. I got all of my attack cards early in the adventure, discarded them to stockpile moves, and then got to to the door and drew only moves and blocks for about 3 turns in a row.

15. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

I take it this is why Kalin was concerned about doors drawing huge hands? Tons and tons of armor? I wonder if that fix is also why all the doors in #2 map only had one immovable to share between the group of them?

Did anyone else feel like the priests in the second map had their difficulty designed before the latest draw engine card nerfs? I kept getting cards that would be on a demon charm and thinking, well crap, that's not useful anymore...

Flaxative likes this.
  16. Gerry Quinn

Gerry Quinn Goblin Champion

That was a good draw! You want attacks for two reasons: (1) vampire arracks to heal yourself. and (2) six enemies must die before eight rounds pass. What you would like in the first round is buffs, though in practice it doesn;'t reallt matter all that much what you get in the first round anyway,

But there's no hurry.

17. zwergonfire

zwergonfire Kobold

I really like all the new levels and look forward to new stuff! ^__^
    #2 was my favorite, but I felt like it ended right before things got good.
    I they didn't break a single door until the third round and I managed to kill one of the casters by then as well.
    Maybe I got a ridiculously good opening hand? Can't wait to run MM again!

18. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

No, the deck shared by the Doors contains one copy of Solid Wood and nothing else; Immovable is their default move. Drawing 50 cards per round didn't do anything other than spam the logs with warnings about trying to shuffle when the discard pile was empty.

Flaxative and Aldones like this.
  19. Unlucky Scarecrow

Unlucky Scarecrow Goblin Champion

Tip for map #2; the Shamans in the back seem to count for 2 stars. I was lucky (on my second attempt) and had two of them wander up to me to get killed off.
    As for #3... I didn't even realize there was a time limit? I mean, I wasn't watching the corner, but I beat it on my first try. I'm also not sure how victory points are supposed to make me lose instead of win, but I figured there was some special coding or something so I played along with it anyways. My only gripe is that the deck the character used seemed to be 1/3 extra moves and 1/3 block cards, making it hard to get actual attacks.

20. Ithaqua

Ithaqua Kobold

I just finished the new Mauve Manticore adventures. The first scenario was quite frustrating. Meister put an acid pool on my characters and then expanded it on his next action. My priest was so bogged down by the difficult terrain that she was unable to escape from the Ogre, and was killed in round one without ever doing anything. My other two characters suffered an awful lot of acid and lava damage before they got to do much, and with the priest dead I didn't think I'd manage a win. I had lucky draws with my wizard or it never would have happened.

Scenario two was exciting. That's a lot of enemies! It was also interesting to have so many party members. I used Bless and made nine squares of consecrated ground appear. I wasn't sure I was doing well enough and then suddenly I won. I guess I didn't realize how few of the enemies I actually needed to kill in order to win. I'm looking forward to trying that one again.

Scenario three was a neat puzzle. I think I used the most efficient possible solution and still only had a little over a minute left on the clock. I'm guessing even one wrong turn means you run out of time.