Slub Gut's Sanctum, 1HP

Discussion in 'Adventure Discussion and Strategy' started by Karstedt, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Karstedt

Karstedt Goblin Champion

Post your successes... I can't get past the first 2 turns on the first map. I think I need a perfect draw of 4 firestorms and one nimbus. There should be a guaranteed legendary for doing this one.

I'm especially interested in success that don't require 3 of some legendary. You can go lowbie or level 7 for that one power token, is there some tactic that works or is it just a time sink for the perfect draw?

2. Galdred

Galdred Mushroom Warrior

It took me a lot of retries (fortunately, the adventure gets easier after that!). I basically used my tokens for smoke and walls to cut LoS. You need to kill one of the netter ASAP to get some space to kite. Cone of ice can work too if you kill the first netter quickly (they have "only" range 4).
    I had Staff Of The Inferno equiped, Firehide Robes (both are epic). One wizard had a electricity attack staff to deal damage quickly and the utility slots were filled with path of dagger, telekinesis, short perplexing rays, and zap cards I could not avoid to get these.

Cheesie likes this.
  3. Karstedt

Karstedt Goblin Champion

Nice robes... I finally scored one of those staves from Randimar, but those robes would be even better.

I don't often use path of dagger and don't think I have anything token-less with it. Does the AI usually just charge ahead and impale itself or does it work more like a freeze?

I saw someone mention in the other 1HP thread about using elf movement to get away from the bad area start and thought it might be a good choice for this one too. I'll see what I can piece together and give it another go.

4. Minmaxer

Minmaxer Kobold

I actually did this one with three lvl 10(downgraded to 7) human warrior. I loaded up with blocks/parries and reliable mail. Dwarf warriors would have made it even easier with the better racial traits. Several weapons have a few blocks on them and leaving the tactic slot empty will also give an additional weak block.

Cheesie likes this.
  5. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

In the end, how would you catch the little net throwers, then? Lots of charging or step attacks? They're so squirrely that it never would have occurred to me to use dwarves. In fact, with the elven racial disadvantage basically eliminated by everyone's HP being zero anyway, I'd just sort of assumed this would be a job for the elves. Huh.

6. Minmaxer

Minmaxer Kobold

I used humans with a mix of mediocre step/reach weapons, I just think the dwarf traits might have made it slightly easier as I never really had trouble getting in range. I think triple priest would work great too as Violent Overswing can one-shot the netters and you have access to more lifesaving blocks and nimbus. I think its one of the few levels were triple Firestorm isn't the easiest.

Cheesie likes this.
  7. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

Okay. Would it be safe to say that part of the reason stepping worked as well as it did was that blocks were working well for you? You sound like you had a particularly easy time dealing with encumbrance effects.

8. Karstedt

Karstedt Goblin Champion

I have not found blocks to be reliable, especially in 1hp mode.

9. Minmaxer

Minmaxer Kobold

I didn't like the idea of relying on blocks either, but I often had at least 2 in hand, sometimes with a parry or lifesaving block. Since the lizardmen sometimes used Predictable Stab it also put them in one hit range.

Aldones likes this.
  10. Karstedt

Karstedt Goblin Champion

I had about a dozen more goes at this with blocks... was kinda close twice, but mostly got 2 guys killed turn 1.

I basically lose 1 guy every turn when things go well... I need a team nimbus

11. Minmaxer

Minmaxer Kobold

My first step was to distance myself from the Ooze, I killed it last while never being in melee range. I had sufficient armor such that I could survive failed blocks on Entangling Net. Dependable Mail was really good for this, I also used Toad Boots and Rickety Polearm, and another weapon with blocks on all my characters. One character had an Excellent Rapier and another a The Strongarm but that was the extent of my good weapons. Blazing Shortsword would have been a huge help, but I don't have any.

12. Karstedt

Karstedt Goblin Champion

I purchased my first Rickety Polearm... didn't have one. I do have a Blazing Shortsword instead of The Strongarm though. Was your 3rd character a wiz?

13. Minmaxer

Minmaxer Kobold

All warriors, the weapons on my third warrior were even worse.

14. Armoek

Armoek Mushroom Warrior

For anyone who is trying this with 3 warriors I can give some further advice. I was able to beat the first level first go by using 3 warriors with plenty of Reliable Mail and strong weapon cards like The Strongarm and Blazing Shortsword, I killed the ooze first round and then was able to tank all the attacks with my warrior that ended up with two reliable mail. The problems I had were on the second level, it took me about 10 tries before I had the right setup and luck to pull it off. I swapped all my tokens to use Impetuous Shield and all helmets to Fool's Coif. This allowed me with my high damage weapons to kill a spearmen in the first and second turn and then I just waited out til I had the right amount of block/damage to kill the caster with my last two warriors as I lost one in turn 2.

15. Minmaxer

Minmaxer Kobold

Yeah, I had Fool's Coif on all my characters too. I got a bit lucky on the second level as I moved close to one of the spearman and the shaman played curses, allowing me quickly kill the spearman. Round 2 I traded a warrior for the second spearman and then waited for a good enough bunch of cards for the shaman. I think I only had to buy a couple retries.

16. Karstedt

Karstedt Goblin Champion

Still took 5 tries, but I finally got past round 1 with 3 impetuous shields and fools coifs. Now hopefully I won't blow through all my gold to finish.

It's worth noting that leaving the martial skill empty give an extra weak block too... I hadn't noticed that before.

Update: Got Slubby on my 2nd revive. I was down to one warrior and I ended up passing until I had 2 lifesaving blocks and a quick reflex... I charged in with my only attack, lunging hack and he stabbed me twice... predictably so, and just about killed himself. Then he cursed me a couple times, I got a weak chop in and got to go first the next round and finished him.

hatchhermit likes this.
  17. Predaking

Predaking Orc Soldier

I used the follwing setup:

3x lvl4 Elf Wizard with:

Staff Of The Inferno
    Azgul's Orb / Chartwell's Ring
    Blasting Amulet
    Firehide Robes
    Lt. Buckwell's Boots / Mouse Boots / Red Jon's Boots
    Novice Pyromancy

The lvl4 here is essential as its the first lvl for Firehide Robes. Higher lvls only make it harder to draw the Firehide Robes so that is the reason I recommend lvl4.

Keep repeating the first map till you get good draw/luck. It won't cost you any gold so you can try it as many times as you like. When you draw 2 Firehide Robes in your opening hand its pretty much gg. Pretty much the same goes for map 2. 2 Firehide Robes in opening hand is gg.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015