[Suggestion] Letting player choose which card to play first when multiple cards are tiggered

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by SakuraZaku, Nov 5, 2013.

1. SakuraZaku

SakuraZaku Kobold

The case I want to discuss here is when a character has multiple blocks at hand and is attacked by an opponent, it would be great to let the players choose which card to play first. Depending on the situation this would be very helpful for players who put certain amounts of different block cards in their deck.

2. Mirkel

Mirkel Goblin Champion

Currently you do not do anything on your enemy's turn and I doubt they'll change that. Among other things, it would slow the game down a lot. So it's a feature, not a bug.

3. SakuraZaku

SakuraZaku Kobold

I somehow understand that it's not a bug, so I used [Suggestion] ;)
    But since most other card games I play let the players choose which ever card they want to play first when multiple cards are triggered together, I think it would be reasonable for BM to do so.

4. Mirkel

Mirkel Goblin Champion

The thing is, such change would add a lot of tedium to the game for little return. Especially in SP when you sometimes get attacked 5+ times per round - having the game pause for your input every time to see which one of your Unreliable Blocks you want to fail first would be extremely annoying and definitely a big price to pay for the privilege of sometimes choosing a Parry to happen before a Shield Block.

They made a conscious design decision to ask for no player input during the enemy turns and that works perfectly, IMO.

5. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

As Mirkel suggests, it is something that was actually in one of the very early prototypes of the game. The feedback that they got was that it slowed the game down too much. You can read more about it in this dev diary: http://www.cardhunter.com/2011/09/dev-diary-9-reactions/. Those initial comments are from way back in January 2011 (so long ago that Card Hunter was using percentages rather than die rolls!) along with what they thought after the changes in September 2011.

Aldones, Pengw1n and Mirkel like this.
  6. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Saved me the trouble of digging that up!

7. SakuraZaku

SakuraZaku Kobold

Took some time to read the dev diary.
    Well, the current state is acceptable to me as well, but I really feel a pity for not letting players have this decision.
    I've played MTG computer games and I didn't feel such decision has slowed the game pace for too much.
    But it seems that most people are happy as it is, and since it is also somehow acceptable for me as well, probably I'll just not bring this issue up until other players find the same need.

8. BobiB420

BobiB420 Mushroom Warrior

Different situation, same problem, however all the actions take place during the player's turn, not the opponents: Team Moves.

There's been quite a few times where it would have been to my advantage to move a particular character first, but then it auto-selects someone else, usually the character that I wanted to move second.:mad:

9. dmar314

dmar314 Goblin Champion

You can "control" which character to move first via team moves by selecting the order of your roster in the multiplayer keep. You will move the leftmost character first, and the rightmost character last when playing team moves (or elvish mobility, etc). So if you usually want to move your warrior first, put him on the left (you can do this by removing and re-adding characters from your party).

10. BobiB420

BobiB420 Mushroom Warrior

Yes, but that's a static decision. Sometimes the positioning of my characters require that I move them out of that order. It's hard to describe in text, and I don't have any screenshots to explain it for me. Simplest scenario is if the first character has max HP, and second character has 1hp standing on a victory square near an enemy, third character is on the opposite side of the field. I want to move the second character away from the enemy, and have the first character take his place on the victory square. Make sense?

11. Sir Veza

Sir Veza Farming Deity

Been there, needed that. It would be nice if the proc was like Improved Telekinesis.

Bearson Onyx likes this.