Frequently Asked Questions

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Zalminen, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Q: Is there some kind of a help page?
    A: Yes, here.

General:

Q: Will there be trading?
    A: Not in the near future. Dev comment here, lots of discussion here.

Q: What's the difference between item rarity, card rarity and card quality?
    A: See here.

Q: How do I open the console? Is there a list of commands somewhere?
    A: Hitting F1 brings up the console (once for minimal mode, twice for full screen).
    The commands aren't well documented yet, but you can find information here and here.
    The most useful ones are
    • clip (copy console history to clipboard)
    • partybbcode(copy party info to clipboard)
    • partyanddecksbbcode (same but with decks included).

Campaign:

Q: Is there a list of quests (one of those unlocked after finishing the campaign) somewhere?
    A: See the wiki for categorized lists.

Q: I finished a quest and received no XP! Why?
    A: Quests are like achievements. They offer additional challenges and better loot but no XP.
    http://www.cardhunter.com/forum/threads/question-quests-and-xp.1763

Q: My club reward was a lower rarity than some of the items I found a chest. Why?
    A: The minimum possible rarity of the club reward is the same as the minimum guaranteed rarity of the chest. The actual items received can be better than that. I.e.
    • Wooden chest (campaign; multiplayer)- reward is common or better
    • Gold chest (campaign, regular adventure) - reward is uncommon or better
      • Note that certain adventures give guaranteed items the first time they are completed, such as the Lizard Fryer (rare), Trogsbane (epic) and the Hand Of Melvelous (legendary!). The club reward will be at least as rare as this item.
    • Gold chest (campaign, quest) - reward is rare or better.
    • Gold chest (campaign, 1st completion of treasure hunt) - reward is epic or better.
    • Gold chest (multiplayer) - reward is rare or better.
    • Purple chest (multiplayer) - reward is epic or better.
    This means that opening a Gold chest in the campaign may still give you a Legendary item from the normal rewards and only an Uncommon one from the club.
    Likewise you may get a Legendary club reward from a Wooden chest and nothing but Commons for the normal reward.

Note:
    • There's no club reward when buying chests from the chest shop.
    • There's no club rewards from the four level 1 adventures in the campaign (as they're part of the tutorial)
    Q: I think adventure X is too hard!
    A: It's often just a case of needing different equipment and tactics. Make a new thread and tell us what you're having trouble with and we'll be happy to give you advice. Or use the search, there's a lot of discussion on various adventures already.

Q: How are the shop prices determined?
    A: The prices depend on item rarity and item level relative to the party. See here for full explanation.
    Treasure prices were increased after that post though.

Q: Hints fly by very fast to be humanly readable.
    A: Collection of all the hints are available from the wiki here.

Q: Will there be more classes?
    A: The devs have mentioned a rogue type class that will probably come sooner or later.

Q: Will there be a co-op mode? Will I be able to play as DM?
    A: Both are on the devs wishlist so they'll probably be added sooner or later.

Multiplayer:

Q: Will there be improvements to PvP? Draft tournaments?
    A: Yes. See here:
    http://www.cardhunter.com/forum/threads/mp-looking-forward.703/#post-8491
    http://www.cardhunter.com/forum/threads/mp-looking-forward.703/#post-8506

Q: Are there any chat commands?
    A: At least /me and /flip can be used.

Gameplay and rules:

Q: Why can't I cancel move cards?
    A: It's a trickier issue than you'd expect. See here: http://www.cardhunter.com/forum/threads/cancelling-moves-thoughts-and-suggestions.1595/

Q: I passed first, then my opponent used a Cantrip card, passed and got to start first! Why?
    A: See discussion here.

Q: A character just used a block card against a beneficial spell. Is this intentional?
    A: Yes, it's intentional. Characters will try to block all enemy spells. http://www.cardhunter.com/forum/threads/block-card-triggered-by-heal.1921/

Q: Why am I getting so many move cards?
    A: In addition to the two cards from your deck, you're also given a race specific move card each turn. This move card does not come from your deck and isn't discarded into the normal discard pile either. See help page (Order of Play -> Draw)

Q: Why am I getting so few attack cards? Is my luck really that bad?
    A: It's usually not as bad as you think. For a more detailed look at the probabilities involved, see this post.

Q: What happens to large monsters standing in multiple squares with terrain attachments (lava, acid...)?
    A: The monster is only affected by one attachment. The squares are checked in order: down, right, left, up. See here for illustration.

Q: Why isn't Hard to Block reducing the enemy's die rolls?
    A: Hard to Block only affects Block cards (which have a green background). It has no effect on Armor cards (which have a grey background).

Q: Why isn't Spark Generator/Spark Inductor increasing the damage of my attacks?
    A: These cards have two separate effects. They only increase the damage of electrical attacks (e.g. Spark), which have blue artwork. They also give arcane attacks (e.g. Zap), which have purple artwork, the Hard to Block keyword.

Q: Why did the AI just pass foolishly?
    A: The AI sometimes passes randomly. It's meant to make the AI a little less predictable. The downside is that this does often make AI more foolish than unpredictable...

Q: Why did (card X) work that way?
    A: There's also a Gotcha! Rules FAQ thread you can check, some of the trickier card interactions can be found there.

Custom content:

Q: How can I create custom maps and scenarios?
    A: There's a tutorial here.
    Forum use:

Q: How can I quickly add links to cards and items in a forum post?
    A: Just type the card name or item name, select it with your mouse and click the button on the top right to add the required tags. Or you can just type the tags directly.
    If you don't see the full toolbar, click the "More Options..." button under the text entry box.
    [​IMG]

Known bugs

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  2. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

(reserved for more content)

--
    I've probably forgotten a lot of questions that belong here so post anything you think I should add, I'll update the first two posts accordingly. And preferably post links to suitable threads so the actual discussion will stay in the original threads instead of here.

3. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

4. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Zalminen, thank you.

You might consider something for "Why didn't I get XP from a quest?" There are other matters, like "How do they determine shop prices?" and "How much XP do you get from an adventure?" but I'm not sure if those are as critical for helping concerned players.

5. isriel

isriel Kobold

so just to clarify if i buy pizza now use it on chests or unlocking the bonus levels. i get all that pizza back when reset. So to state it another way; i buy 50$ of pizza i use in beta right now to a balance of zero pizza, when beta resets and is fully release i recieve my 50$ in pizza back. thanks for the help :)

6. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Yes. If you buy 50$ worth of pizza now and there's a reset, after the reset you will again have that 50$ worth of pizza you can use on whatever you decide.

7. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Answers to: Custom maps, possibilty of coop and DM modes, drafts could be useful to add.

8. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Stickied - thanks!

9. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Q: Hints fly by very fast to be humanly readable.
    A: Collection of all the hints are available from the wiki here: Hints.

10. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Current stance/situation re: trading (if someone can find devs quotes)

11. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Credits to skip_intro for pointing out that the FAQ could prolly use these.

a) You do not draw 1 move card per turn, you are GIVEN 1 move card per turn. Said move card does not come from your deck and it does not go into your discard pile (http://www.cardhunter.com/how-to-play-card-hunter/#zeemov/).

b) Why am I so unlucky with drawing attack cards?
    Ans: For those interested in the probability of drawing desired cards, feel free to read http://www.cardhunter.com/forum/threads/beta-feedback-on-rng.2386/page-5#post-25803

Zalminen likes this.
  12. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

"What happens to large monsters on terrain?" could maybe be added to the list. I know it's on the help page but I've seen it asked two or three times on the forum.

Alternatively a "did you know there's a help page?" link at the top of the thread might be useful. I don't know how widely it's advertised to new players.

Zalminen likes this.
  13. playhavock

playhavock Mushroom Warrior

I have some odd question(s):

For demonic feedback - when I target (my dudes) it shows a demon icon on the person I targeted - now, its not taking damage - so --- why is it showing this icon - flavor?

Can I rotate the board - sometimes (very seldom) I cant see behind my own figures and want to hit "behind" and mousing just right is a thing that it doesnt do all the time so -- board rotate?

I love pizza girl. This is not a question, just wanted to marry her and stuff.

Also for pizza girl her deck box is awesome and you should make it and sell it.

14. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

It shows that something Unholy is happening to that char.

I've suggested this a few times.

15. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

Another couple that might be good to add into the "Gameplay and Rules" section based on the bug reports I'm seeing:

Q: Why isn't Hard to Block reducing the enemy's die rolls?
    A: Hard to Block only affects Block cards (which have a green background). It has no effect on Armor cards (which have a grey background).

Q: Why isn't Spark Generator/Spark Inductor increasing the damage of my attacks?
    A: These cards have two separate effects. They only increase the damage of electrical attacks (e.g. Spark), which have blue artwork. They also give arcane attacks (e.g. Zap), which have purple artwork, the Hard to Block keyword.

Gentlecow and Jarmo like this.
  16. Gentlecow

Gentlecow Orc Soldier

A minor(?) update to the FAQ to clarify that the game is, in fact, no longer in beta might be in order. :)

17. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Heh, good catch.

Assussanni's additions added as well.

18. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

Another one to consider (I'll probably get the answer wrong too):

Q: My club reward was a lower rarity than some of the items I found a chest. Why?
    A: The club reward is only guaranteed to be at least as rare as the lowest possible rarity of the rarest item obtainable. The actual items you found in the chest have no effect on the rarity of the club reward.

I'm still confused.
    Okay, think about it like this:

Wooden chest (campaign; multiplayer)- reward is common or better.​
    Gold chest (campaign, regular adventure) - reward is uncommon or better*.​
    Gold chest (campaign, quest) - reward is rare or better.​
    Gold chest (campaign, 1st completion of treasure hunt) - reward is epic or better.​
    Gold chest (multiplayer) - reward is rare or better.​
    Purple chest (multiplayer) - reward is epic or better.​

Oh no, it's complicated enough to have an asterisk!
    Ah. Well, that's because:​
    * Certain adventures give guaranteed items the first time they are completed, such as the Lizard Fryer (rare), Trogsbane (epic) and the Hand Of Melvelous (legendary!). The club reward will be at least as rare as this item.​

What about the Chest Shop?
    Sorry, you don't get club rewards from chests bought in the chest shop.

Finally, you don't get club rewards for completing any of the four level 1 campaign adventures.

Please check this before you add it to the FAQ! And obviously feel free to edit it.

Pengw1n likes this.
  19. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

No club rewards in the Chest Shop, nor for level 1 adventures. The rest looks right.

Assussanni likes this.
  20. Assussanni

Assussanni Ogre

Thanks for the info. I've never actually bought a chest from the chest shop so that was an assumption. I have edited my previous post to include this information.