Final Fantasy Tactics games on pc

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Wozarg, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Looking for a turn and grid based squad fighter games on pc i have seen a few ones but i would love any suggestions as long as its even remotely close. F2P is not required but having a decent single player experience is and if buying power is a option a great single player experience instead as i refuse to pvp in games like that.

2. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

There's always Ogre Battle/Ogre Tactics. You know, the Tactics series that started before Final Fantasy did it.

Apparently, some people like LaPucelle Tactics. I can't recommend it as I've never played it; I only mention it because I heard the name awhile ago.

Depending on your definition, there's X-COM.

If tablets are acceptable (in addition to PC), there are the Hunters games on iTunes.

And as long as you're doing "kinda close" types of games, there's also Odium. Regrettably, it ruined its own plot, but the music is some of the best I've ever heard in a videogame.

But I've diverged more and more from "Tactics style." I'm sure there are plenty I'm overlooking

3. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

The ogre games are great but not really pc games same goes for la pucelle unless I'm missing something. Seams i missed saying that i wanted fantasty inspired games not sci fi but thanks a lot for trying i guess ill have to give x-com a poke.

4. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

Hero Academy ? Hero Mages ? Tactics Arena Online ?

5. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

the first two at least completely lack a single player experience and i really dislike the price of hero academy not so much the game as the price of extra teams. They also lack progress and/or character customization. Don't be discouraged as I'm thankful for everyone that tries. Hero mages actually seams the closest to what i want so far but i really need single player for it to be the game for me.

6. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

HM also has even worse expansion system, its like 10$ to unlock a new hero + the guardians for it, think its on sale though. Try Immortal Empires ?

7. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Goblin Champion

Actually HM for iOS has a single player skirmish mode, plus the additional heros are alot cheaper on there, and the cool thing is you can still use them on the PC if you bought them for iOS.

8. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

I just remembered something: emulators. I can play the original Ogre Battle on SNES (yay for owning classic gaming systems), but I've also seen it translated just fine into a PC-based emulator.

9. CletusVanDamme

CletusVanDamme Mushroom Warrior

The Banner Saga is currently in beta. Well, the multiplayer F2P Banner Saga Factions is, at least. I haven't played around with it too much; I don't refuse to PvP but like you I'm not too excited about the multiplayer components of turn-based games (including this one). I've had a bunch of games and it's mechanically very sound and a lot of fun. The single player game is looking very promising based on the combat system. It's due out early next year I think, with Factions due out sooner.

Evolved likes this.
  10. Kaerius

Kaerius Orc Soldier

11. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

From what i can see that seams pretty close to what i was after now to putt in some work to get it running ugh working to be able to have fun what has the world come to!

12. LightPhoenix

LightPhoenix Orc Soldier

The big difference between Wesnoth and most console Tactics games is that the former assumes a (IIRC) baseline 70% hit rate whereas FFT et al assume somewhere around 90%. Because of this, Wesnoth focuses a lot more on positioning, terrain, and eking out any advantage. FFT focus more on what abilities to use and how they influence enemies.

13. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

i can live with that difference at least until cardhunter comes out :p Just wish someone would build a one click compiler for it to help out lazy people like me.

14. Timaeus

Timaeus Kobold

Banner Saga has been fun, though, like you, I'm mostly just waiting for the single player campaign. The combat does look solid though. I'm just not really into PvP in general.

15. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

I've been playing Disciples 2, i dont know if you could really call it a tactics game since the turn based combat is more like a traditional rpg where troops line up and take turns hitting rather than moving on a board, limited tactics in what units are in your group and where you position them. Plus yeah it has that constant 80% to hit thing which can really bite you in the ass. I had an enemy with a 63% hit rate literally hit 40 times in a row, with a 6 target aoe.. 63% chance to hit per unit, and it hit every unit every turn except the first round it missed one unit, so i know the accuracy is individual.

16. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

any idea if disciples 3 is any good or if i should stick with 2?

Metacritic says 3 is a big step down and while i rarely use it the points they bring up make me fairly sure 2 was just better so ill try it thanks

17. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

Yeah everyone says stick with 2. It was on sale at greenmangaming for 2$ for the gold edition so pick it up while it lasts and avoid Medusa's at all bloody cost.

18. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

medusa's?

19. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

Neutral mobs that petrify your entire team at once... its only a 50-60% hit chance per person but as i found out, thats basically a guarantee to permanently petrify your army until they're dead. Kill them first.

20. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

Disciples is a pretty big leap from what i really wanted but that said it seams very interesting too bad i wasted 30 mins by skipping the tutorial :p