The Legend of Dev Diary: The Diary Begins

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sir Knight, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Rising Zan

Rising Zan Mushroom Warrior

I think a player could have two kinds of decks potentially. A player deck which they can mix and match with cards of course, and a DM deck which has numbers on the cards and depending on how bad or good the cards are they total up to one big total but the number can't go past a certain limit otherwise the deck is technically illegal. So the Coward card could count as a -4 while the Goblin creature is a +5 and the Goblin Punch is a +2.

That's how I saw it at least.

2. Hopibear

Hopibear Mushroom Warrior

YAYY!! I am very happy to read the 2nd diary!

http://www.cardhunter.com/2011/08/dev-diary-2-the-game/

I like the system they use :)

Well what i understand is that each character ( Example Pepe the warrior , Yellowteeth the wizard and skinnyboy the rogue ) gets theyre own deck. So a dedicated deck for each one of them , that you can make by collecting cards. You ofcourse can pick what card they can use since u see what cards each character have.

3. Rising Zan

Yes the system works very well so far. Keeping it nice and simple, though i wonder if dice will be used at all in this game since so far cards handle damage and such.

Hopibear said...

Yeah absolutely, just like in Magic or Pokemon there would be different style decks that have their own cards. However, one really important question that I have been pondering is how will the hero characters appearance and such be decided? Will their be Elf Rouge Starter packs that can be obtained along with Human Fighter and Human Wizard Starter packs and that's the character you use with that pack? Or will you be able to customize your hero, say pick a class and from their some customizable appearance options as well as race. As well as make multiple characters for mutiple deck styles. Similar to making a Character Sheet for D&D

I hope they have a race like Tieflings from 4th ED D&D. It's one of my only reasons for playing 4th. Playing a big red guy with horns! ^_^

4. Hopibear

Well good question about the starter deck. No idea what kind of cards you start with.
    And probably you will be able to pick a class and customize it. But then again i am not 100% sure , can only speculate on that :( perhaps Jon can give us an insight about it? ^^

5. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

Speculation runs rife. I'm itching to see the 'Starter Deck(s)' and how deck-building works in general, but we must learn to walk first... :D

6. Kvothe_Rocks!

Kvothe_Rocks! Kobold

That was a great Developer Diary #2! I am really glad to see the positional orientation actually matters in this game. I have played far too many omni-directional games that lose credibility because of that. Looking like great fun!

7. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

So, we have:

--Attack cards which wallop things via a familiar board game setup.
    --Movement cards (so far shown only in graphics) that get us across that board somehow (details forthcoming).
    --"Defenses or armor," where we can presumably see some of each in this graphic (along with a movement card).

This leads me to a concern I've had since the beginning: actually drawing a card you can use. Imagine, if you will, a game where you either A) need to move somewhere so you can kill the enemy and not die standing still, or B) need to move somewhere so that you can achieve a level objective (or open a treasure, or something else non-life-threatening) and not be bored standing still. And then you don't draw a movement card for 10 rounds.

Now what?

8. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

Yep, earlier versions of the game had exactly this problem! When Jon writes about movement in next week's dev diary I imagine he'll explain how we solved it.

9. FreakGlista

FreakGlista Kobold

I just hope that movement won't be mind boggling.

10. Rising Zan

Actually from what I have seen from the game, it seems to me that the fighter class will be focused on the attack cards that damage and cause temp. status ailments like stun and such. And of course some armor​

The Rouge class will focus in movement cards like Tactical move and high damaging one shot attacks. Since most Rouges in RPGs are all about a hit and run style of fighting.​

And mages will most likely AOE semi-perma. status ailments such as burning from the Lava Pool card.​

This is what i think from the Game info page which has the 3 heroes, though i could be wrong.​

11. Strumiker

Strumiker Mushroom Warrior

I don't think they'd be much for game designers if they would have made the game function like this for a final product :p Have a little faith :)

That said, I'm excited to see how they mesh it all together to be a fluid experience. Excited!

12. Hopibear

I vouche for this !! :d
    And besides they have an awesome dev team IMO:)

13. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Ah, but you are presuming I don't. Au contraire! I am capable of believing that they can surmount challenges, AND making pointed inquiries into the methods thereof, at the same time!

Or, to be less obtuse, I was just askin'. I like thinking about game design.

(Error report: I can't get the above to display as a single quote! The forum keeps splitting it into two quotes!)

You make an interesting point. See, I was thinking that each player needs to act in each of those ways to play. I mean, what kind of RPG would it be if only one-third of all players could move on a regular basis? Not an enjoyable one--as I said in my post, the "Warrior" class could just stand there for 10 rounds taking ranged damage and never moving into melee. But it's possible to set up a game where "moving" is just one avenue of approach, and you don't actually have to do it in order to progress.

I find it unlikely, though, so I still want to know what solution they have in the works.

Also:

I think it more likely that the Rouge class will focus on reddening the cheeks and emphasizing the cheekbones, since most Rouges are composed of red-coloured talcum-based powder.​

But we were talking about the Rogue class, so I know what you mean.​

14. Hopibear

15. Rising Zan

Ahh, it looks like they have been listening in on us. Scaaarryyy~ ^_^

So it seems like the card has 3 movement + a special abillity. Maybe this is how movement will work?

16. skip_intro

skip_intro Ogre

I totally want a Rouge Class - sub classes;
    Red Wizards
    Scarlet Witches
    Crimson Furies
    Flame Fangs
    Rust Monsters
    Redwood, Rosewood & Mahogany Ents... :D

17. Rising Zan

Yeah they need to have a cutesy monster as well that has all of these barbaric and just nasty attacks attacks.

18. secran

secran Mushroom Warrior

While humorous, I will veto your 'color' subtype. Tis a dungeon crawl, not spectrum based space police adventure. ^_^

Btw, Love the Dev Diaries.

19. SurgeonFish

SurgeonFish Automaton Moderator Staff Member

So no Delicious Pink Wizard or Fabulous Rainbow Paladins then?
    *snicker*

Edit: found one
    [​IMG]

20. Hopibear

Pink castle of Doom doesn't sound so dangerous... ^^