[Suggestion] Summoning/Conjuring/Familiars

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by MartinTheZoroastrian, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Hey, I love the game, it's well put together and (to me) remarkably rewarding for free-to-play folk. I think the whole cards as equipment is rather brilliant. But in all of the tabletop class based adventures there's always a druid with a hawk or a necromancer with skeletons, and though one can fight these things in Card Hunter, why can't one have one's own?

They could start with a Trait that kills the newly-spawned companion when they're caster dies or after so many rounds. I think they could anything from the existing skeletons or cockroaches, or be a re-skin of the guard-dog for a wolf or the imps for elementals. Or add demons/guardian spirits with un/holy powers for the priest to summon.

I guess the hardest part would be adding another "Player's Deck" along the bottom, but the familiar could even draw from their summoner's pool of cards and grey out after one use like the GM's pieces.

Obviously, I'm going to keep playing this game obsessively either way, but this type of character (or really add on to the existing Wizard/Priest) seems like the logical step after an archer of some sort.

2. actionjack

actionjack Mushroom Warrior

There are few ways to do summonings (in my books).
    But yes, i see it as a summon by a close range spell or conditional trait. The summon minion would have its own "pre-set" small deck that they draw from. (maybe they only draw 1 card and 1 short movement cards per turn), and would have low-ish hp (like 8 or less), and last for duration of 2 or 3.

But could also see here the summoner mage/priest could have equipment item that boost the stats or ability of the summons. Traits that add 3 hp to all summons? Share abilities that the summons could use? Many possibilities there.

3. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Summonings would be very cool, but the game engine doesn't support spawning monsters in any way apart from as part of the starting field. So take that into account, would need some pretty major changes to how things work to be able to be implemented.

4. Mirkel

Mirkel Goblin Champion

Maybe one way to circumvent that would be that equiping an item with a pet card would make you start the battle with said pet. If you'd use, say, Arcane Skill slot you wouldn't have to worry about multiples.

Pengw1n likes this.
  5. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Yep, I've thought about a slot for an pets et c - that would act as cards rather than actual figures. Could work within the system already in place. Then again, the devs might already have plans for classes beyond Rogue and new systems.

6. Mirkel

Mirkel Goblin Champion

That'd be the easiest way to do it, yeah. As long as the Skeletal Servant Strike cards or whatever would include the skeleton laughter I'm all for it. :D

hatchhermit and Pengw1n like this.
  7. VNSAramaki

VNSAramaki Mushroom Warrior

Idea for pet system.
    1. Outside battle, you have an extra item slot for summoning items which generally named Mark of (name here).
    2. There will be 3 kind summoning items, one kind for each class.
    3. All summoning items will come with 3 card which include one movement card, one attack card and one trait card.
    4. Inside battle, at the spawning stage, the pets will be spawned on specific spots like how characters being spawned now. In my opinion, right next to VPs would be a good place to spawn.
    5. All pets will have a default HP of 5, an occupation zone of 1x1 and normal zone of control.
    6. The pet will act as below:
    + The pet will use the Movement card to move at the start of each round right after Movement Trait like Slippery in order to reach the enemy with the lowest HP except for the first round, unless said otherwise.
    + The pet will use the Attack card to attack an enemy in range with the lowest HP, unless said otherwise.
    + The pet will use the Trait card at the very start of battle. The Trait card acts as a modifier which modifies the stats and behaviors of the pet such as HP, armor, preferred target to attack ... The Trait card doesn't have a duration and can't be discarded or push out.
    + To open the choice, the Attack card can also be replaced by an Assist card with the target modified to a specific ally by the Trait card.