Get Ready for Halloween in Card Hunter!

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Arondight, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

The fact that you'd go to this much effort makes me feel it's not a "if" but a "when".

I've been enjoying my firestorming in the single player campaign. My impression was that the primary focus for balancing right now was draw decks, so I felt reasonably comfortable in investing time into collecting a lot of stuff for my firestorm build. Now I'm feeling less certain...

Would you recommend that I stop putting any more of my effort into that build right now? If so, I won't mind, I'd just like some clear indicators that I'm currently collecting something that I can expect to be nerfed.

2. piotras

piotras Goblin Champion

If you would enjoy the mechanic even if it deals less damage/needs to be within range/vision I would still stick to it (I wouldn't expect them to scrap the general idea, they will probably keep it but make it more challenging to use). If you enjoy it because it's clearly a cookie-cutter build allowing for easy grind than I guess stop investing in it in long term.

3. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

I'm the person who got it nerfed, partly from what I've heard people say about Firestorm-draw decks. But my main complaint was that the Halloween shop would reset if you bought everything, so someone with tons of money could buy several of these items. (The delay in releasing the Halloween content was partly to stop the shop from resetting.) And I don't think Firestorm itself is too unbalanced, just that having an item with two of them for no tokens and no drawbacks, and letting rich people outright buy multiple copies was too much. Note that the devs replaced it with a different item that also contains a Firestorm.

4. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Yeah, I think it's unlikely* that we'll nerf Firestorm. I haven't seen any evidence so far that it's creating meta-game problems. However, I'm open to evidence to the contrary. As I said earlier, our focus right now is on the draw deck issues.

* not impossible

The reason we swapped what the Pumpkin Bomb does is that these items were intended to experiment with introducing limited time cosmetic item changes and the notion of items that are universally available. It wasn't the intention to see what happened when we introduced a lot of Firestorms into the game... so we wanted to make sure those things didn't get mixed up.

spacedust, Flaxative and Aldones like this.
  5. piotras

piotras Goblin Champion

I would love to see firestorm having a Area of Effect around the caster rather than affecting the whole board. That would actually require firestorm uses to put some effort into the game in terms of strategy and positioning. Running away and extensive WWE use (no matter if draw deck or not) should not be considered challenging gameplay by any standards. The best way to fight that is to have your own copy of WWE too, which heavily dilutes the possible meta-game options and makes the game bland and boring.

Stexe likes this.
  6. dmar314

dmar314 Goblin Champion

Yeah but if it has an area of effect, then the draw decks will just give the mage lots of cards, nimbus, and wellspring and the mage will sprint up to the other side of the map and start to blast only the enemy party, making things even worse. I'd rather see firestorm only hit those in line of sight (like flash of pain) so it's at least avoidable.

Pokemath likes this.
  7. piotras

piotras Goblin Champion

My suggestion only makes sense after bringing draw deck back in line, what w will hopefully see at some point

8. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Just a quick note: the Hell Cauldron currently requires a minor power token to equip. Since it's a copy of Uncertain Juju, it shouldn't require a token. That will be corrected in the next release (and will fix up any Hell Cauldrons you have bought).