Card Synergies and tips

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Bandreus, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

I just thought of another one but it's really hard to test intentionally... does anyone know if you can bounce a Purge off of a Reflect Missile to remove something like your own friendly Firestorm effects? I'm guessing the purge is still considered a friendly effect, since a bounced Winds of War still gives you control over where your character is moved when it hits you.
    At any rate, Reflect Missile has some funny not-so-bad side effects depending on what you're shooting at it.

2. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

Another one for someone to test: has anyone ever tried a Violent Overswing when their oldest card is All Out Attack?

doog37 and Aldones like this.
  3. Andrew Talbot

Andrew Talbot Mushroom Warrior

The card is discarded first. It checks to be able to even play it, then if AoA was around it would kick in. :I

4. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

So, frustratingly similar to what happens when you get hit with one of the pseudopod strikes and your oldest card is your parry you were saving. The fact that the darn thing had to fail once already just to "reveal" itself is insulting enough...

5. lemonpips

lemonpips Mushroom Warrior

Does anyone know if Whirlwind Enemies causes someone with a Path of Knives debuff to take damage?

6. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Nope, WWE places - not moves characters.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  7. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

I believe that was proven to not work, because it "places" enemies, rather than pushing them or what have you. Winds of war will work, though.

edit: What he said.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  8. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

So I saw another weird one that's hard to test.
    In Cardstock II's first battle, I hit a guy with obliterating bludgeon when he had only about 6 health left. I noticed as he died that Boosted Heal tried to roll afterwards, but failed. He was my last enemy, so the game ended and I couldn't go back and read the combat log to see exactly what was going on.
    If Boosted Heal had succeeded... would he have been brought back from zero health to three? It rolled after damage was done, and overkill on attacks doesn't seem to register health into the negatives, so all that extra damage from obliterating bludgeon wouldn't have made a difference.
    If this is possible, this card is probably much more like lifesaving block than I realized.

9. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

nope Boosted Heal can't save a character from death. The game engine still rolls though.

I've withnessed this first hand several time, so I can confirm that's not the case

ParodyKnaveBob and Flaxative like this.
  10. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

Okay. I just grabbed a screenshot when it happened again. It failed the roll again, but it was really weird to see it even bother if it wouldn't have done anything. It suggests to me (and I'm sure will mislead others occasionally as well) that it wouldn't be rolling to save her butt if it wasn't possible that it could work.
    Boosted Heal after death.gif
    Lorzil only had 3 health. Boosted Heal, to all appearances, was attempting to save her from death.

Edit: Here's one that didn't fail.
    Boosted Heal after death2.gif

Seems safe to say this will confuse people. :/

11. Mirkel

Mirkel Goblin Champion

Martyr's Blessing activates on killing blows as well so you can die with 1 more card in your hand, though I agree Boosted Heal is far more likely to lead to confusion, since it shows you healing and then you die.

12. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

There is a bugpost on this alr: http://forums.cardhunter.com/threads/boosted-heal-procs-after-death.1560/

I've tested this with Sparklers quite a while back. Think I can do one on test to confirm... And yeah, reflect missile can get hilarious...

Aldones likes this.
  13. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Yep, it's also fun to cast melee boost cards such as Unholy Frenzy on Sparklers.
    If Reflect Missile triggers - your priest gets the boost.
    If it doesn't trigger - the enemy takes damage and doesn't actually benefit from the spell since it doesn't use melee attacks.

14. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Danngwethirtor shoots a tiny cone of flames
    Wendhondan took 2 Fire damage.
    phaselock passed.
    Wendhondan purges Drekklinka
    Drekklinka blocks, turning the attack back on the aggressor!
    Drekklinka discarded Reflect Missile.

Danngwethirtor and Wendhondan are allied. And no, Purge off a Reflect Missile does not remove the allied Fire Spray since its not an enemy controlled card. So I guessing its the same for friendly Firestorm effects. Hope it helps. :)

Bandreus and Aldones like this.
  15. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me to try this until today, but since Polearm Slash is also an armor card, it's removed with Boiling Armor. I'm not sure if this will be terribly useful to you in MP, but it kind of ruins that monkey boss's day, since he's really fond of carrying that card around, and not just Monkey Mail.
    As a side note, it would probably be a good idea to add that card to the list of armor cards in the wiki. I can't help but wonder if there are any other crossover cards that are part armor and part something else that this would also work well against.

Bandreus likes this.
  16. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

17. piotras

piotras Goblin Champion

what I love recently in MP is a dedicated Smoke Bomb wizard with Ember Bursts as an addition to his arsenal, similarly to cone it can go through (i.e. explodes at the edge of smoke bomb and harms characters within the second row of smoke bomb), but it can be done from a safe distance

18. zelink551

zelink551 Goblin Champion

Some people have already mentioned Reflect Missile, but I always found it most amusing with Bungled Heal. You can use it to heal 5, have the other heal reflected back at you, and end up healing 10! :)

ParodyKnaveBob, Aldones and ElShafto like this.
  19. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Just popping in to say that the many relevant, useful tips in this thread are gradually ported over to the wiki. You can find it here or from Main page. Thanks ! :)

Zalminen, Bandreus and Flaxative like this.
  20. Eren

Eren Orc Soldier

Dodge + Dodge (or more dodges): This trick is useful specially in MP when you are cornered, if your first dodge succeeds, you move next to your opponent (your side being turned to them) then the second dodge triggers and if you succeed that too, you get out of their range. Also works for getting away from a ranged attack as long as your back isn't turned after the first dodge.

Teleport Self + Charge: You can easily position yourself to a place where you can deal the 5 full damage with the charge teleporting through blocked and difficult terrain.

Dwarven Battle Cry + Enemy Blocks (MP Only): It's a no-brainer really but what many people seem to miss out is that they use the card right away against draw decks instead of waiting for their opponent to draw their cards as you are passing, when you feel like they have enough, they will most likely have a block too; that's when you use it.

Own Terrain Attachments + Cleansing Ray: Some items you will want to use will have a terrain attachment on them which you sometimes may not utilise, instead of discarding it at the end of your turn, just put it in a random location. If your priest has cleansing ray you get a free card draw, or if the attachment stays for the next turn too you can use Telekinesis, Barge, Winds Of War or similar push attacks to utilise the attachment. I've found this to be specially useful with Wall Of Illusion, Wall Of Fire and Volcano, because most of the time you won't get to utilise all the terrain attachments you place, so you might as well use them for a card draw.

tolkien and ParodyKnaveBob like this.