Games to play while waiting for this one to come out (or for the beta if you are lucky enough)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MrMojoRisin, Sep 25, 2012.

1. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

Yeah i played the D&D game when it appeared on facebook, was fun for a couple days, had a really big abuse problem though with people making custom dungeons to maximize gold/exp gain and minimize difficulty, that was exploited real bad...

2. Nirs

Nirs Kobold

3. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

Should probably of put this here
    http://www.tacticstudios.com/empire/Wont scratch your CCG itch, but if your looking for a fantasy tactics rpg/adventure, might be for you. Level/equip a whole party (or a solo char) in a quest driven storyline thingy. Also pvp.

4. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

I know that everyone here is into turn based card / strategy / dungeon nerdstalgia, but perhaps, just perhaps, some of you are also into pixelly pew-pew arcade nerdstalgia.
    If so, you might like the XBLIG version of Captain Foraxian, which is a Galaga-inspired Captain Forever de-make.

Okay, I'll stop pimping my side projects here. Soon. For a while.

5. Zoorland

Zoorland Goblin Champion

Farbs, you have no idea how long I stared at "XBLIG" trying to figure out what the fez that stood for (eXtra Big Loot-Intensive Game?) before finally mousing over the link and immediately hanging my head in defeat (oh... that X-box thing).

Timaeus likes this.
  6. Roshirai

Roshirai Goblin Champion

You neglected to mention that it's only a dollar. A dollar! So nobody has any excuse not to buy it. :D

7. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

Finally just got into the PS2 beta but its pretty awkward just spawning in some place with a bunch of people, jumped in a ship and waited 10 minutes for it to take off, could of used a short tutorial about spawning/maps/capturing etc. Seems like a typical MMO, gotta do a lot of slow stuff to get to the good bits :(

8. Jesus669

Jesus669 Orc Soldier

PS2 is still being worked on, as you named it correctly a Beta. Everything has it's problems in this stage or it would be released. Yes, they have talked about adding a tutorial. Something this game seems to have already, if we take pax's demo as what it was. Could use some more details on attacking and defending however.

9. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

Heres a card game i used to dabble in called Elements http://www.elementsthegame.com/ Its got 12 different decks so much more than the basic elements. They are wildly different, and many synergize with each other so your encouraged to combine decks, which you can do as much as you want focusing on a single element or all of them. The up side is theirs just so many different ways to play it and build your deck, its got difficult A.I. and PvP, you can have fun just THINKING about how you want to play.
    The down side is, their arnt that many cards per element, the element you start with will bring you almost all the cards available too it, it becomes a huge grind to earn money to simply get an 'upgraded' version of the same cards. Its resource system also makes the game heavily luck based since you could start with a full hand of resource towers and never get the cards to spend it, or start with no resource towers and skip turns until you do.

10. Jesus669

Jesus669 Orc Soldier

For card game and anime fans try Sword Girls. It's a new game that came out this year and looks great. The problem it has, however, is it is vary much pay to win because the grind for higher level competitive cards is obscene. Those just starting out can still have fun and play decently against the AI, but if you find yourself doing pvp you may find yourself easily defeated by the players that have put more money/time in the game.

11. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Goblin Champion

Thanks for that recommendation! That game looks right up my alley. Gonna try it out when I get home from work this evening!

12. Jesus669

Jesus669 Orc Soldier

Their art is Amazing!

13. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

Well the Fallen Enchantress TBS game coming out soon has no mutliplayer so thats a bust :( Now i wanna play Hero Mages, who suggested that one ?

14. MrMojoRisin

I and at least one other person here did. It's a great game that has a cool tabletop old school feel to it. So authentic in fact that they are actually making a tabletop game of it now. Could that be a new trend? Physical version of digital game inspired by physical games? Maybe a physical Card Hunter down the line?

Heh, just kidding of course about CH going physical. We're all still waiting to try it out in the current form, lol.

15. Zoorland

Zoorland Goblin Champion

No multiplayer at all, you say? *excitedly goes to check that one out*

16. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

Yeah :( the first one had MP, its a lot like age of wonders or that newer Warlock game, but no multiplayer! Hopefully it will be added later, i just cant see myself skirmishing against an AI over and over if its not 'practice'

17. irongamer

irongamer Orc Soldier

I see others have already recommended them as well, just going to reinforce the statements.

Guild Wars 2 (Much better with friends)
    FTL (Great fun)
    Torchlight 2 (I enjoy the game solo and with friends)

Xenonauts is feeling more and more like a playable title with each alpha build. I'm looking forward to the release of this title.

18. MrMojoRisin

If you have an iDevice and are into board games, Racer Feud was just released last week. It is a clone of the Formual D board game, and I am quite addicted to it, as you can have any number of asynch races going on at once.

Another recent release I've gotten into, even though it's not a board game or anything like that (although if someone made a board game of it that would be awesome) is Hotline Miami. I'm probably a little too much into this game, considering it's a top-down retro themed murder simulator. :D

19. Jesus669

Jesus669 Orc Soldier

(mechanics aside) Isn't that exactly what this game is, just with a different skin?

20. MrMojoRisin

LOL, you have a point. Although Hotline Miami is more "Manhunt style" murder, where this game will be more "LotR or DnD style" killing. Fantasy violence versus "real" violence.