The Nicest Sound

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by OneMoreNameless, Oct 15, 2013.

1. OneMoreNameless

OneMoreNameless Goblin Champion

Everybody talks about Card Hunter's delightful tabletop aesthetic and how great the figure artwork is and yada yada yada. But you know what doesn't get enough credit? The sweet SFX. This thread is here to rectify that.

The sound I'm most enjoying at the moment is the satisfying splooshing pop of an ooze being killed. Do you know why there are so many adventurers in Cardhuntria? Well, just imagine a world where you could honestly claim self-defence against bubble wrap and get paid for it.

How about you?

2. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

For me it's all about the skeletons and their insane laughter. I can't get enough of it.

Ben_Lee likes this.
  3. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

The sploosh of the oozes is pretty cool. I like the 'fe-shink fe-shink' of a chop hitting multiple targets. I hate the monkey noise though. Not because it's not a good SFX, but because I hate the monkeys. :D

One of my most recent games I had a pretty cool sequence of sounds. When a treasure drops it makes the 'reward' sound, for lack of a better term. I finished an adventure and I had treasures drop in the following order: Uncommon, Rare, Epic, Legendary. It was pretty cool hearing the sound get more exciting as they dropped.

Ben_Lee likes this.
  4. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

Aside from those mentioned, I'm pretty fond of the mechanical noises golem monsters and traplings make.
    I also like the way my male elf giggles when he hits things. He's a vampire priest, so that ends up making him feel pretty twisted.

Ben_Lee and hatchhermit like this.
  5. Oberon

Oberon Hydra

Yeah, I have a real fondness for the noises when you destroy the golems.

I don't tend to keep the sound on for most games, but I still really enjoy the background noise from Cardhunter.

6. shazbot

shazbot Mushroom Warrior

Melvin's nerdy exclamations usually make me laugh.

7. Gentlecow

Gentlecow Orc Soldier

See, I like that elusive sound of finding a legendary item the most. Mmm, that sweet dopamine shot.

Until, of course, you discover that it is yet another Hand Of Melvelous or Bruising Dervish.

In either case it's back to fighting for the next fix. Addictive game design at its finest.

Bearson Onyx likes this.
  8. progammer

progammer Ogre

I got to agree the sounds effect of the game is brilliant and I never got tired of it. Ambient noise and music, on the other hand, is quite lacking. It might be the reason why the sounds effects are too good.

For my favorite, its the sounds when a block is successfully rolled and had the metal clashing together.

9. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

"Aaaand NOW!"

10. Bearson Onyx

Bearson Onyx Goblin Champion

Am I hallucinating or does poison make a bubbles sound now when it does damage at the beginning of the round?
    And yes, the sfx are overall great and add alot to the gameplay.

11. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

They did add a few sounds, so guessing that might be correct!

Bearson Onyx likes this.
  12. hatchhermit

hatchhermit Hydra

Interesting. I've noticed lately that when I poison a human with Bad Medicine I get no sound when it goes off. Not even the human scream noise.

13. OneMoreNameless

OneMoreNameless Goblin Champion

I finished the campaign weeks ago and haven't been allowed to hear any DM voices since. :(

Andrew Talbot and Flaxative like this.
  14. Ben_Lee

Ben_Lee Art Director, Chief Executive in charge of Laundry Staff Member

The skeletons make me laugh every time, and I've been hearing them for a really really long time. :)

15. Pokemath

Pokemath Mushroom Warrior

The tin golems whirring sounds pretty cool. I also enjoy "Encounter!" Unfortunately I just finished the campaign and will never again hear that Gary-ish voice grace my ears.​

Andrew Talbot likes this.
  16. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

I think we're seeing a potential suggestion here: why not have Gary announce the beginning of each PvP match with one of his classic exclamations??

Pokemath likes this.
  17. piotras

piotras Goblin Champion

i think it was advised somewhere to have this stuff togglable - I would have it on! :)

Flaxative likes this.
  18. shazbot

shazbot Mushroom Warrior

I'm not sure how that would work since Gary won't be participating in the match. Maybe dress him up in a ref shirt to make him look like he's officiating it?

Pokemath likes this.
  19. Flaxative

Flaxative Party Leader

Yep, that would work!