How much money have you spent on Cardhunter?

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Tryan, Oct 6, 2013.

?

How much have you spent on Cardhunter

1. Less than $25

26.7%
  2. $25

36.0%
  3. $25 - $50

20.0%
  4. $50 - $75

12.0%
  5. $75 - $99

1.3%
  6. $100+

4.0%
  1. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Well, the PVP is optional - and I did not use it for my run through the game since it went live, and the game was originally designed as a SP game only (mp was added late in development due to player request). So you and I should be on equal footing in terms of viability to beat the campaign, is what I meant. I'll admit to that my extensive (possibly obsessive, eh?) knowledge of the game might be a boon to me in this, of course.

And as for edit, select more options and you should be able to. Guess it's down to firefox issues again (have them myself).

2. Mirkel

Mirkel Goblin Champion

I didn't really mean it as an insult - it's just this board is full of "I can't pass this battle!" and most of these people get helpful tips here and then post that the tips helped and they finished the fight. Nobody has posted that they went and bought a ton of chests for RL money to move forward in the campaign.

I know I'm playing a lot better now than when I first was leveling up, too. It's a highly tactical game - constant movement, moving in and out of range, using card combos, paying attention to what sort of decks your enemy is using etc. And it's also quite challenging. If you only feel frustration and anger when losing instead of thinking "hmm... what could I do better?", maybe it isn't a game for you. *shrug*

3. elohir

elohir Kobold

The difficulty isn't really the limiting factor for me. The game itself isn't really complex at this level, the card pool is pretty small. I'm used to complex synergies and 4e-like boards etc. It's just that having to either wait 24 hours or pay money for cards seems like a cynical mechanic.
    That's the thing though, monitoring enemy cards and actions and using a deck to counter it requires the cards to build a deck to counter it. Getting the cards to build a deck requires games to play, and that requires me to turn off the game and wait til tomorrow.

Anyway, I'm glad other people are enjoying the game. If the remove the hardcoded time sink, I'll probably enjoy it too.

4. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Like I said, some people have not had to regrind any adventures to progress - so yes, this is probably down to bad luck more than a hardcoded time sink. Did you ever start a secondary party to level up and play the earlier adventures as well? Possibly getting some good loot and options for your main party setup - in terms of both members and chances at that gear you might be missing?

5. Mirkel

Mirkel Goblin Champion

Now I'm kinda curious which adventure stumped elohir and what gear/party he has so I could try the same challenge myself.

6. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Elohir, you can grind the SP adventures as much as you want for gear with the help of this hint: Don't finish them. The adventures only lock until tomorrow when you complete the last stage. You can retreat from the adventure before that and just replay the earlier stages endlessly. No purchase necessary. You'll only get two guaranteed common items per stage (three if you're a club member) but even so with enough grinding you'll eventually get even legendary gear and lots of uncommons and rares which are quite enough to complete all of the adventures.

7. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

I do see where your complains might be coming from. But still I don't fully get your entire reasoning. Say, if the loot system was the same, but you had no way to acquire items via buying chests or pay-for club membership or anything?

Furthermore, I don't think the game campaign is actually hard at all. Yes, the game will throw some challenges at you, but those you can usually overcome by using sub-par loot and a bit of creativity in the way you play. I.e. devs didn't put those challenges there in order to force you into spending money in the game. The challenges are for you to actually think about your strategy and make you a petter player as you go further in campaign.

It could as well be you got unbelievably unlucky with your drops. But even then, you don't really need the best items in the game to beat SP in the slightest.

I do understand there still is a possibility that the game simply didn't meet your expectations, as a lot of gamers these days kind of expect to be able to complete a game on the first playthrough and only rarely hitting a wall in the process, let alone putting much thought into what they are doing. If that's the case, well that's fine with me.

But I think that stating a game is p2w just because you found the experience to be somewhat challenging (and assuming that's a way to promote p2w mechanics) really isn't something which makes justice to all the work the devs put in crafting the product. Not every game needs to be trivial, despite what the industry at large has been doing for many years now. CH trully is a perfectly enjoyable experience even if you never spend a dime on it, and the game never trully forces or tricks you into buying anything in order to progress.

That being said, the devs still need to somehow earn a profit, so it's not like they deserve to be blamed for offering an option to spend money on the game while giving the paying customer something in return.

Just my honest point of view.

spacedust, Shalcker and Mirkel like this.
  8. Mirkel

Mirkel Goblin Champion

Bandreus wrote pretty much what I meant and how I feel about the game, but did it better. I've played true p2w games and they and this are worlds apart in my experience.

9. Rack

Rack Kobold

Personally I think the devs should be blamed for setting a challenge and giving players a chance to buy their way past it. If the basic edition deleted the quest timers, gave permanent club access, reduced the cost of items in the shop by a factor of 4, unlocked all multiplayer teams and set it so Pizza spawned as treasure (so you could buy skins) and included an easy mode for all non treasure hunt quests that disabled the club bonus and included an offline mode it would resemble a thing you could buy, largely at the price you would expect to pay for it. As it stands Card Hunter is extraordinarily generous to people who don't pay for it, and irritatingly grasping and stingy to people who do.

The game does apparently give several important pieces of guaranteed loot so I think with a little luck all the encounters should be possible, even if the difficulty is going to be somewhat random but without seeing what Elohir has it's hard to be sure.

10. piotras

piotras Goblin Champion

hmm, they kinda did unlock all multiplayer teams - in the form of free pizza

going back to topic, CH is the only game I play these days and while the more I play the more rough edges I see I still think the game is amazing even if it didn't reach its full potential yet. I'm also super happy about to see increasing BM presence on the forums and that they are on top of current problems, even if they don't have the time to communicate that to us regularly. So I increased my support with a further $50 and wish the game success!

Bandreus likes this.
  11. Karstedt

Karstedt Goblin Champion

I'm a poor student, but I dropped 25 on the bundle. The 'stuff' is too pricey for me, but if there is another bundle that seems like a good deal, I will probably go for it.

12. Xeryon

Xeryon Kobold

0$ here, but i was very tempted to buy the starter pack when the game released

13. spacedust

spacedust Goblin Champion

I haven't spent anything so far, but I would spend a nice chunk of money to get this on Android.

piotras likes this.
  14. betodeth

betodeth Kobold

I spend only in membership, 20 $ now

15. Spheyr

Spheyr Kobold

25 €. New character skins might increase the sum.