Card Synergies and tips

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Bandreus, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Basically a thread where we list and discuss synergies or otherwise cards which go well together.

This is thought both as a place to share new combinations/tactics we discover and as a reference for newer players to more easily learn new tricks, find inspiration for deck-building etc. If the thread is successful and we can gather enough info, these might also be added to the wiki for even easier fruition.

I'll get the thread started with a couple basic ones:

Talented Healer + Draining cards (Draining Touch, Spear Of Darkness, etc.)
    Draining cards gain cantrip while Talented Healer is in play, meaning you can land multiple draining attacks without having to pass the turn. You priest will also heal 2 additional hp per Draining card played.

Hot Spot (or similar) + Telekinesis (or similar)
    You can use control spells like Telekinesis to move your opponents onto damage-dealing tiles. Conversely, you can also use control spells to save your characters from taking damage by moving them away from those same tiles.

And a less obvious one:

Elvish Insight + Devastating Blow
    Devastating Blow deals additional damage depending on the number of revealed cards in the target's hand. You can use Elvish Insight at the right time to reveal the opponent's hand, making your Devastating Blows much deadlier.

Pointing out things which might not be immediately apparent works well too!

Flimsy Block
    Although seemingly a bad card, Flimsy Block is great if you need a defense vs particularly nasty cards - like Winds Of War, Path Of Knives or Barge - which deal little or no damage but otherwise are very dangerous. Since most attack cards typically deal more than 2 damage, your trusty Flimsy Block will likely sit in your hand undisturbed until you need it.

If you feel like it, you can also post your suggestions for items which work well together (please explain why briefly as for synergies and tips).

You're not required to adhere to any specific formatting or layout guidelines, but keeping your posts neat and easily readable will be much appreciated :)

2. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

Martyr Blessing + Spiked Mail (equipped by your opponent). I stumbled across this one by accident. Every time you attack you have a 50% chance of a card draw in exchange for 2hp. Add Reliable Hide Armor to the mix and it becomes 1hp.

3. Mirkel

Mirkel Goblin Champion

A little nit-pick: you can't block War Cry since it makes you discard all your blocks immediately.

ParodyKnaveBob and Bandreus like this.
  4. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Thanks for pointing that caveat out <3

edit: I was trying to offer at least an example of non-spell card which might be blocked by a Flimsy Block and that one came to mind.

2xedit: Edited Barge in instead.

5. Spooky2

Spooky2 Kobold

Dodge + Rushing Aura = Dodge has keep on it and every time you succeed with it, you can move 3 squares in any direction instead of 1. Makes melee ranged stabs avoidable. I found this combo out while leveling a Dwarf Warrior wearing Rusty Buckler & Finzi's Horned Helmet.

6. Aldones

Aldones Ogre

Unholy Wellspring + AoE magic. By the time you get Wellspring, you're pretty familiar with Frenzy effects, so it's easy to dismiss it as just a more powerful one. Wellspring effects all damaging attacks. Little pokes like ember spray and force cone become serious hitters, and Firestorm becomes pure hell, especially when combined with burning enhancement traits.
    I never use the Wellspring on my melee hitters. It's always focused into an AoE of some sort.

Spooky2 likes this.
  7. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

Charge + Rushing Aura, only useful on certain very large maps - but still, very funny to pull off.

8. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Flight Aura or Teleport Self + Sprint or Wild Run
    Basically lets you easily cover extremely long distances ignoring most or all movement-impairing features.

I'm also a big fan of armor combos.

Enchanted Harness + Assorted Armors
    This is extremely cool to pull paired with armors which come added effects, as the +2 on armor rolls means those will trigger as well as absorbing damage more often: use with Spiked Mail to reflect melee damage, Holy Armor for good healing and Inspiring Armor for drawing cards.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  9. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Bad Luck + Armors you actually might not want to absorb damage
    Some cards boost your character's abilities in various ways. These often double as Armor, but lack the keep keyword. Arcane Aura and Frenzy Aura are good examples of such cards.
    Using Bad Luck on your own characters will help you hold those cards in your hand when targeted by enemy attacks.

ParodyKnaveBob and timeracers like this.
  10. Lindbergh

Lindbergh Kobold

This one requires a bit of creative deck building.

Pathfinding and a deck loaded up with Vicious Thrusts and Nimble Strikes. You can't build a deck devoid of any basic moves for you to draw... but you can build a deck where you probably will draw 2 step attacks.

Bandreus likes this.
  11. ChosenUndead

ChosenUndead Mushroom Warrior

I, most often, wait until the opponent is entirely out of moves be fore laying down tile cards. Telekinesis is instead implemented in giving me leg room for my mages, when warriors come too close.

Bandreus likes this.
  12. Bandreus

Bandreus Thaumaturge

Yeah, you can definitely use Telekinesis (and similar spells) in a whole lot of different ways. That's really what makes these spells so useful.

If you can cast a tile card when the opponent is short on moves, all the better better. But a smart player might save an uncovered move card (or a step card) as a countermeasure to similar traps. Needless to say, if you happen to have a Telekinesis spell on hand, you can just put him back on the hot coals.

You can just move enemy characters around as much as you can with your own, all accordingly to the situation at hand. Which is awesome.

13. Zalminen

Zalminen Hydra

Also: Hot Spot/Wall Of Fire and Acrobatic Flip.

If the foe slips away from the lava, just move to attack. You can often flip the enemy right back in the red hot doom...

The monkeys managed to do this to me a couple of times so I know how effective and annoying it is...

ParodyKnaveBob and Pokemath like this.
  14. tuknir

tuknir #3 in Spring PvP Season

Winds of War+ Path of Knives, can be prety nasty. cast the knives on a caster,cast wind and move him near your hitter, he takes dmg. if he runs he takes extra dmg, if he doesnt run, he gets hitted

15. Gabbek

Gabbek Orc Soldier

*Tips*
    Triple circle with wizards using Winds Of War / Improved Telekinesis - allows you to cover all of your wizards and move two of them at once if needed, or one of them and enemy :) Enjoy!
    Rather unusual for most people: Short Perplexing Ray yourself when you've got slow and useless card left in your hand.
    If you have Raging Strike in your hand and will suffer massive damage from enemy because of that - consider hitting one of your own guys with it (if you happen to have Inspiring Armor -- double the value! :D)
    Always keep your movement cards you draw from your deck (i.e it's not the one you get by default each turn) - that way you can trick your opponent!

ChosenUndead, Aldones and Bandreus like this.
  16. ElShafto

ElShafto Goblin Champion

By the way, why can you not Maze yourself?

17. Guises

Guises Goblin Champion

You can also do this with step attacks: they (or you) throw a path of knives on your warrior and you step back and forth in front of your target, taking one step and attacking each time. Repeat until you stop drawing step attacks or your opponent is dead.

ParodyKnaveBob and Bandreus like this.
  18. Gentlecow

Gentlecow Orc Soldier

I'm afraid that will only work with an enemy Path of Knives. If you cast it yourself, you're going to have a bad time. (Martyr won't trigger.)

timeracers likes this.
  19. Zoorland

Zoorland Goblin Champion

You can. Just like any other card, hold Ctrl while clicking the card and you can target your own characters as well as the enemy. Or simply disable auto-targeting in your options and you don't need to fuss with Ctrl.

furrybone likes this.
  20. Guises

Guises Goblin Champion

Ah, yes yes you're right. Good call.