Reaching the End of the Deck

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by LightPhoenix, Oct 29, 2012.

1. LightPhoenix

LightPhoenix Orc Soldier

One thing that I don't think has been mentioned is what happens if a character runs out of cards. I get the impression from watching the game play videos that battles move a little too fast for that to actually happen. However, in the unlikely event that it does happen, how is it handled? Does the character flail around with his/her default move card only, or does the deck get reshuffled?

2. mightymushroom

mightymushroom Goblin Champion

Jon stated previously that you do indeed shuffle up the discards and start again ( here and ff.). And yes, it'll be fairly rare.

36 cards (not counting DMC)
    Draw 3 first round, 2 subsequent rounds = 17 1/2 rounds worth of cards.
    Even if you have extra card drawing effects for 2 more cards in every round, it's still more than 8 rounds worth.

Might happen more often in the tutorial levels when you're not playing with a full deck.

3. LightPhoenix

LightPhoenix Orc Soldier

Thanks! I'm guessing it probably won't happen even on tutorial levels because of the default cards. They may suck, but I can't imagine BM having a grindy tutorial level, as that would turn players off I think.

4. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

mightymushroom is likely referring to this thread, where discussion wandered through level progression, item slots, and deck size:
    By "tutorial," mightymushroom was referring to the low-level introductory experience, however it is defined.

5. LightPhoenix

LightPhoenix Orc Soldier

As was I.

6. Dhramund

Dhramund Mushroom Warrior

It might happen more than you think. Many of us around here aren't playing with a full deck. :D

Talonius, A Bear, Ystin and 2 others like this.
  7. Deadjack

Deadjack Kobold

If I understand correctly, if you got a slot without a item in it, you still get cards for that slot (just bad ones) so why do you talk about a not full deck?

8. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

not playing with a full deck is a way to say not completely functional in the head I'm not sure that's what he was going for just pointing it out.

9. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

It's true that you are more likely to run out of cards in the tutorial battles when your deck is smaller, but those battles tend to be pretty short and simple anyway.

10. LightPhoenix

LightPhoenix Orc Soldier

I thought every slot provided a number of default cards. Is this not the case?

11. Whiteowl

Whiteowl Kobold

I believe since heros lvl more lvls will unlock said slots, so a lvl 1 tutorial mode will not have all the item slots available? At least thats my guess

12. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

Correct.

13. Althezel

Althezel Mushroom Warrior

Only way I see this happening frequently is when two dwarven cleric decks are fighting each other.

14. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Indeed, that was the deal with the old quote:

15. jcalton

jcalton Kobold

Sorry to resurrect this, but it wasn't in the Help/101 and I was confused about how "bad" discarding is. Turns out, not that bad.

Maybe I should post this in that thread, but this bump will make it a little bit easier for a new player to find out, and also allow people with better/newer information to make any necessary corrections.

16. Rorre

Rorre Orc Soldier

It would make a very good hint. Something like
    "You can't run out of cards. If you ever need it, your discarded cards will be shuffled back into your deck."