Card Hunter Wiki - Cardhuntria

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by Farbs, Oct 18, 2012.

1. mightymushroom

mightymushroom Goblin Champion

Sometime overnight my brain reorganized and came up with the idea that if we picture the whole card, the card will mostly speak for itself. We can then use a shorter, denser list:
    Tier: (title bar color)
    Type: (background color(s))
    ?Rarity: ("Cards now show rarity.")
    Keywords (any and all 'keywords' that fit - melee, electrical, terrain mod, block [type], chance [#+], etc.; each links to an explanatory page)
    Use (1.Write a sentence describing what happens when you play this card, or when the card reacts. 2.Number the uses in case of multiple.)
    ?Attachment (Write a sentence describing what happens when this card is attached to a unit/square.) Does this need to be separate from use?
    ?Flavor (optional: copy the flavor text in italics) Not sure it's necessary to repeat this off the card picture.

Items could use a similar list:
    Level: (Tess said the PAX demo still uses level tags, no longer explicit in deckbuilding but I assume still measuring relative power)
    Slot: (what slot type it equips in)
    Rarity: (rarity)
    Value: (gold buy/sell price, we need shop details first)
    Card Suite (list the cards this item places in the deck)

2. Jesus669

Jesus669 Orc Soldier

Good work on the wiki guys. I look forward to seeing yall flesh it out, might add something if I see it needed later on. :)

3. Jon

Jon Blue Manchu Staff Member

This is largely correct. Orange cards are now called "Boosts" and, as you might expect, they provide benefits for you when you play them (e.g. card drawing, ongoing buffs, etc).

Black cards are now always drawbacks, i.e. cards that do negative things to you. It's a little confusing because there's also the black title bar, which indicates a weak card. Almost all black cards also have black title bars but there are some other colored cards with black title bars (e.g. Weak Strike, which is a red attack card with a black title bar to indicate that it's a really bad card).

4. Jon

I'm glad I said "almost all" as there's at least one black drawback card that has a paper/brown title bar, indicating that it's not actually that bad of a card (i.e. it's better than Weak Strike!).

5. mightymushroom

Can you share an example of an Orange buff? I'm trying to remember and all I can think of is card drawing cards.

I would expect that buffs (attachments) are colored according to the card's particulars, like Healing 2/round would be White, or Movement 1 at start of round would be Blue? What does that leave for Orange?

Ystin likes this.
  6. Jon

Yeah, so Orange cards or Boosts are cards that affect yourself. A lot of these are used in Skills and we haven't discussed them much yet. Others are side-effects or alternative uses of other cards (i.e. dual color cards).

I'll definitely give some more concrete examples soon.

7. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

so far, I've seen maze of the mind, fork, spin around, quick reaction, dwarven cry and elvish mobility as orange (http://www.cardhunter.com/2012/03/skills-and-talents-how-do-they-work/). The term 'boost' is a trifle generic and we've classified them as bonus cards or manipulation cards in the wiki. Figure we'll have to correct those as we go along...

8. Jon

Yep, good find. Fork, Quick Reactions, Dwarven War Cry are all (orange) Boosts. Elvish Mobility has been reclassified as (blue) Move card as that's what it basically is (it lets all Elves move). Spin Around is also now a Move card (it lets you turn on the spot).

9. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Do you want to release more 'confirmed as of beta' cards to the wiki ? Cos we've already fleshed out most of the framework as best as we can. Card template is on Amber (See Stunning Bash and Teleport Other) as I have no idea if you have stuff that will break this. Any data from the blog and previews are mostly in the wiki. We've also catered for keywords and items pages. I hope to expand keywords to game mechanics...which will at least help with beta-testers "Is this a bug?" posts.

10. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

This is looking really great. Nice work!

11. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

The template does, in fact, look awesome. I heartily encourage this endeavor!

Even if things go wonky later due to conflicting schemes (between the wiki and the final Card Hunter format), having a template at all allows us to define what broke.

12. Jesus669

Jesus669 Orc Soldier

Still hoping to see card images posted up there soon. I know they might be changed, but won't it be easy to switch it out later?

13. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

For one, we don't have image resizing capability (I believe this is due to local_settings.php on server side) which reminds me....I have to remind Rosh about it :p
    I can upload manually resized card images but we don't really have a lot right now...so it will be pretty fast. I'd schedule with the template edits but with sketchy info and nothing confirmed as yet, this is not really a high priority.

Also, I've been meaning to ask (even tho its not yet beta): The wiki is structured similar to mtg gatherer (minus the search capability atm). Based on the Card Hunter's gameplay, will data presented at card level be long term useful ? Or tabulated class/item level with sorting features be more productive ? Just wanna throw this out so that we can do some forward planning. Any feedback will be appreciated. :)

14. Jesus669

Jesus669 Orc Soldier

Even with paint you can edit. If you are throwing on a fancy border and such that's another thing all together.

15. Ystin

Ystin Orc Soldier

As I understand it good cards will be useful regardless of level because of the nature of talents. You might use all your higher power talents on your weapon and your boots, and use the rest of your mid level talents on your armor. Then, you can use the 'lower level' shield cards because they wont demand the same talent requirements. I might be missing something though.

16. mightymushroom

I absolutely expect people to want a card-level reference in the future. And an item-level reference. Looking stuff up is a baseline expectation.

That doesn't mean that you shouldn't try for more if you like, though I've had average-to-lousy experiences with tables on wikis. When the information has just one or two useful values it works fine. But the more columns in the table the harder it gets to make meaningful comparisons by sorting one of them. And at this point were looking at collecting eight points of data for a card with a single use, some of which can take arbitrary text.

---------
    [​IMG]

Borrowing Phaselock's picture... Is there an officially approved name for the box underneath the illustration? I'm calling it the "card information box" because it contains the type and origin, and the box(es) that actually explain what the card does I call the "instructions box." If anybody has another preference, let me know.

17. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Changelog (29 Oct 2012):

a) auto-image resize template is in. Images used must be larger than 300 px width. Card template optimized to fixed column widths (no <br/> anymore!).
    b) updated cards for Stunning Bash, Teleport Other, Crushing Gauntlets, Arcing Zap, Dazing Bolt, Simple Thrust, Devastating Bash, Bash, Bad Medicine, Escaping Run, Dropped Guard, Heal, Mind Worm, Mud Pit, Shrug It Off and Slippery.

Kindly feedback if anyone spots errors or weird formatting, ie, image not loading correctly, image sizes off, columns off etc.

Item and card level references won't change, those are foundational. In the long run, advanced deck builders might not find single page references easy to browse. I feel real-time browsable databases to be more deckbuilder-friendly. I'm not certain how much information should be captured yet. I am aware of mediawiki's limitations, which is why its useful to think out of the box and look at other options. Who knows ? I might get lucky :p

18. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Dhramund created a user account
    DemetriusvutefuzhkmArroyano created a user account (I have no idea who this is tho :p )
    Keg4 created a user account

To newcomers who've registered at the wiki, mightymushroom and myself bid you welcome. Current activity is centered around discussions on the card template, feel free to join in. Roshirai is the system admin (All hail the admin !) and Farbs is the managing director. If you'd like to contribute, pls check out current events, I've put up an preliminary list of to-dos. With the above newcomers, our strength currently sits at (gasp!) an army of 5 ! We should have no problem updating the first hundred of cards and items post beta launch. :D

This thread serves to engage and inform the community on all stuff related to the wiki. Feel free to clarify anything with us here or in private conversations.

Thank you for your time !

19. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Changelog (9 Nov 2012):

a) Some changes to card template and a minor bug fix.
    b) Updated entries post Greenfang and latest dev diary(AoE/LoS).
    c) Updated parts of a card (http://wiki.cardhuntria.com/wiki/Cards).

Looking for some feedback:
    We are currently at around a hundred card entries, majority of which are attack cards. Several of these seem to be simple variations of a common theme. For eg: I have 7 chops ranging from Weak Chop to Obliterating Chop. Is this the trend for card development ? Cos it would really help if we could cater for secondary categorizations instead of a page full of links in alphabetical order. I'm thinking maybe 'Attack>>Melee (Slashing)>>Chops' or 'Attack>>Magic (Unholy)>>Poisons' types of classifications. Any insight from devs on the classification scheme would be greatly appreciated.

20. Phaselock

Phaselock Bugblatter

Changelog (21 Dec 2012):

a) Update: Item templates are up ! Sample items for preview: (Stout Club and Acidic Gland)
    b) Subtemplates also up: CardRarity, ItemRarity, ItemImage, ItemTalent, ItemType...
    i) CardRarity, ItemRarity follows CURE notation (common, uncommon, rare, epic). Expansion possible.
    ii) ItemImage resizes to 50px width. Recommend high-res image populate using bot-script in future.
    iii) ItemTalent loads talent symbols, optional
    iv) ItemType currently supports armor, arcane, boots, helmet, shield, skill, weapon

Primary code structures are in place. For eg: ItemTalent template currently caters only to CS notation to load circle/square symbols. Extending to multiple symbols is trivial. Hope it helps. :)