Two Handed weapons?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DarkDain, Oct 17, 2012.

1. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

Tried to look for this and scanned some screenshots and videos but cant find a definitive solution. In images of the inventory it looks like a character can hold multiple weapons AND a shield, does this mean theirs no distinction between a 2h weapon or any other? Can a warrior just always equip a shield or could they equip something else in its place? Basically wondering how 'offensive' vs 'defensive' a character can be made to be since in this video i see 2 weapons, 1 shield, and what looks like a spare hand still. A 2h weapon and shield would be cool too though.

2. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

From what i know and this might have changed or i might be wrong but it seams like you can use 3 items in your hands be it weapons focus or shields. No idea if that means you can use 3 shields or stuff like that but I'm fairly sure at one point you could use 3 weapons.

3. mightymushroom

mightymushroom Goblin Champion

Yeah, you can equip whatever slots you have. In fact, there's a default in place that means your weapon/shield/whatever is never truly empty. It's not a "which hand is holding it" system. So a Warrior has three weapon slots; the Priest and Mage get two weapon slots. All weapon items are reserved for one class only, making the classes more specialized.

To make a character more offensive or defensive, you can find individual items with different card suites.
    [​IMG]
    SPIKED SHIELD, for instance, gives you a STRONG STAB attack card.

4. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

I did some blog searching and found some helpful pictures. So warriors can equip 3 weapons and a shield, so theirs no difference between 1h or 2h it seems. And it looks like theirs no reason not to equip a shield, you just choose if you want a better weapon or a better shield via the talent system. But doesnt seem like you can trade the shield slot for an off-hand weapon or 2h weapon or anything, i guess since its turn based it makes sense to carry multiple weapons and use one at a time. Would still like to use a 2h weapon or maybe replace shield w/ an off-hand throwing weapon maybe.

5. mightymushroom

mightymushroom Goblin Champion

I think the idea is to try to give everybody a roughly similar proportion of offense/defense to minimize the chances of a player just camping behind impenetrable armor. With all those weapons you will be drawing cards that entice you to engage. Since you always bring some armor (and warriors in the front line get more of it) you won't likely fall to a one shot attack either.

6. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

I think it would be funny to make a pure offensive warrior with very little movement, and just use manipulation cards to teleport/move enemies into his reach, lol. Two berserkers and a wizard to put them into the meat grinder.

ParodyKnaveBob likes this.
  7. Farbs

Farbs Blue Manchu Staff Member

One of Jon's earlier parties pretty much worked this way, and yeah it was very cool. We've done a lot of work on the items and cards since then so I'm very keen to try it again.

ParodyKnaveBob and Ystin like this.
  8. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

Imma blast more questions at you. Are their any alternatives to the shield equipment slot planned? Could their be two handed weapons that take up 2/3 of our weapon slots, or even make 2 handed weapons a specific class/race feat? Are their any abilities that are attacks AND movement (like a lunge attack) that could be used for the purpose of moving without attacking anything ? Are their any throwing melee weapons that have both ranged/melee cards, and whats the penalty for using ranged attacks at close range, if any. I like to test and know things :O i need in beta !

9. Wozarg

Wozarg Thaumaturge

There are range 5 spear attacks unless i remember wrong so that is throwing range for sure.

10. Shadowbrand

Shadowbrand Kobold

for what it look like you can equip 2 handers on one slot
    it seems that the only drawback is that they have more black cards in it like the giant's longsword
    which have a persistent black card (large weapon) the name implies that is a common trait of 2h weapons.

11. Timaeus

Timaeus Kobold

Or just a *really* long spear. Might be a touch unwieldy though.

12. Michael

Michael Mushroom Warrior

13. Timaeus

Timaeus Kobold

Wow Michael, that is quite the spear! ;)

Huh, didn't realize some pikes actually got as long as 25 feet. Guess the range of 5 is actually entirely possible. Still would be really awkward to wield though.

14. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

Hm, i do hope certain weapons have certain unique properties and its not all just skins and names. Reach/piercing on spears, bleeds on axe, stuns with maces, etc.

15. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

That's the hope, yes. Fortunately, it seems like every time we see a new batch of cards, Blue Manchu reveals some new interesting mechanic.

So far we have things like the basic concept of "tags" (terms like "crushing" and "arcane"); moving and attacking at the same time; adding extra damage for cards of a similar name; attacking at range; attacking multiple targets; and weird combos of attack and defense. And looking at those together, I start to wonder about patterns.

Look at Bash. It's "crushing," sure. But so are all the other bashes (like Devastating Bash), and all these bashes add extra damage in interesting conditions. And then Crushing Gauntlets has the word "crushing" in its name and it ALSO add extra damage in interesting conditions. HMMMMM.

(P.S.: Yay, card links! All hail Farbs! Yay, card links to actual filled-out cards! All hail mightymushroom!)

16. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

Oooh goody they have listed effect types, so its not all 'damage' or just 'magic damage and physical damage', so theirs blunt for that, then we can assume slashing/piercing and thus various resistances! That'll be interesting since armor is hidden until you attack someone, maybe this is why warriors can equip 3 weapons, one of each ! I hope dwarves are like, special with axes though.

Wonder if this will also lead too high tier weapons that fit more than one catagory, like a halberd being piercing and slashing, or even elemental weapons

17. Zoorland

Zoorland Goblin Champion

The diary is showing its age, but we had piercing resistance mentioned way back in Dev Diary #18 in relation to building a deck to handle the Black Oaken Heart adventure.

The Slashing damage type was mentioned as well. Actually, lots of neat stuff is mentioned in that diary.

18. DarkDain

DarkDain Goblin Champion

So i looked through the diary a bit and found a mention of a flaming sword, and that it wouldnt just do 'slashing damage plus fire', but it would have slashing attacks in the deck, plus a fireball ! Neat :O warriors with magic attacks..

19. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Hmm . . . you were in this thread, but . . .

Anyway, yes, card suites are awesome. I think that this idea alone means Card Hunter will have its niche in gaming history. We've said it before, but think about that basic gamer's pasttime of imagining new content for the game: you're not just thinking "ooh, I want a card that does THIS for my deck," you're thinking "I want a card SUITE that does this." By definition (the number of meta levels), we've never seen a card game this deep before.