Basic Guide for ENTERING Multiplayer

Discussion in 'Card Hunter General Chat' started by pliers, Sep 19, 2013.

1. pliers

pliers Goblin Champion

So you've heard about CardHunter and want to get started bludgeoning other players in the face. Great! But let's go over a few things before you begin striking fear into the hearts of your enemies.

This isn't going to get into strategy or anything like that. It's just a quick summary of how to get into Multiplayer for a new player, because a lot of people want to start as soon as they've created an account, which is a poor decision for most people. There's a summary at the very bottom of this post.
    -----
    It IS possible to load up the game, play the first two matches that Gary throws you into, and then jump straight into Multiplayer. But don't confuse possible with wise. If you haven't unlocked the Wizard and Priest yet, you can't form a party. The only way to play multiplayer at this point would be to spend 50 pizza. The campaign will give you some pizza at various points, and unlock some multiplayer cards, but until then, the only way to get some is to pay $. $10 is the smallest increment, which gets you 330 pizza, more than enough to get started on multiplayer. Again, this is a route that only few will/should chose.

For those who want to try the game before paying for it, you'll want to play the campaign a bit first. You'll unlock all 3 characters, learn more about the mechanics, unlock all the gear slots, and have a better understanding of how the game works.

Around level 6 in the campaign, Gary will tell you to give Multiplayer a try. Multiplayer games set all characters to level 18, so there's no imbalance there. You'll open the Multiplayer screen, enter the Starter Shop, and pick a deck. You don't *have* to, but it's free, and you won't be able to compete with the level 6 campaign gear you've collected. You'll probably have empty gear slots, and won't have any gear that uses blue or yellow orbs of power. Get one of the decks.

You can get any of the decks there and be okay (Gary will have given you some pizza by this point, so you can afford other decks), but I highly recommend the Adventurer's Starter Party. Again, virtually everyone will want to be playing a warrior/priest/wizard team combo. Otherwise, any gear you find for a class you don't play will be useless, while gear for the class you double/triple up on will be split multiple ways. For starting out, I'd stick with one of each.

You can go into the Multiplayer Keep to mess around with gear, but it's unlikely that at level 6 in the campaign you'd have already found (m)any items worth using over the starter deck.

Click the castle in the center of the screen to queue up. Your first match will be against Gary, and you should be pretty evenly matched. After somewhere between 1-3 wins, you'll likely start getting games against other players, and that's where the multiplayer experience really begins.

You get higher quality chests after certain numbers of wins: 1, 3, 6, 11, and 20. The amount of loot in each gets better and better, the higher the number of wins. For a beginning player, make sure you get at least your first chest each day if you have the time. Ideally, you'll be getting the chests for 3 or 6 wins, but not everyone has time to spare. I wouldn't stress out about trying to win 11 or 20 games until you're really comfortable with what you're doing. Progressing through the campaign will help you more than spending a few hours trying to go from 10 wins to 20 just for one epic item.

One final note: You'll be playing against real people. Act like it. Feel free to say a short greeting when the game starts. You're a part of the community now, and having a good attitude will go a long way. Losing is upsetting, and some people will have far more experience or better gear. Keep your head up, congratulate them on a game well fought, and hope the next game goes your way.

Good luck, and have fun! Ask in chat if you have any questions.

----
    Summary:
    1. Make your account.
    2. Play the campaign until Gary sends you to Multiplayer at level 6. This will probably take about 2 hours, give or take, though I've done it in less than 45 minutes.
    3. Once he does, pick the Starter Shop.
    4. Buy the Adventurer's Starter Party.
    5. Hit the Castle in the center of the screen that says Play Ranked Match.
    6. Have a good attitude, and have fun.

2. HD23

HD23 Orc Soldier

Couple of corrections:
    1. Gary doesn't give pizza for a multiplayer starter, he makes the Adventurer's starter free.
    2. The number of wins for a higher quality chest is 1, 3, 6, 11, 20.

I agree with everything else said.

Aiven likes this.
  3. pliers

pliers Goblin Champion

Thanks, changed accordingly.

Aiven likes this.
  4. Megadestructo

Megadestructo Shark Card

Great post! Let's sticky it for everyone :)

5. Sunguru

Sunguru Kobold

Could you please explain couple of unclear things about multiplayer? I've just bought Starter Party and confused a bit.
    How does multiplayer party relate to campaign party? So far I have 2 parties in each mode (which are copies of multiplayer and campaign parties). I can attach items to both parties in each mode independently.

So here are the questions:

- What's the purpose of having multiplayer party available in Campaign mode? I didn't find any way to switch to multiplayer party in Campaign mode and to Campaign party in multiplayer mode.
    - Why multiplayer party is level one in Campaign mode? And vise versa, why Campaing party is level 18 in Multiplayer party?
    - If I attach items to level 1 multiplayer party from Campaign mode - does it affect anything in multiplayer mode?

6. pliers

pliers Goblin Champion

1: Top left corner of the screen.
    2: Everything is level 18 in Multiplayer. Then you're on equal footing for power orbs and health.
    3: Nope. Items are duplicates for each mode. Using them on one still has them available on the other.

7. Sunguru

Sunguru Kobold

Thanks, if you are saying about button "multiplayer" in top left corner - I know about it.
    I'm saying about different thing.

Here is what I see from Campaign armory interface:

[​IMG]

And here is what I see from Multiplayer armory interface:

[​IMG]

What's the purpose of possibility to see both parties in both modes? (considering that they are having different levels in different modes)?
    Is it possible to somehow swith between them? E.g. play with multiplayer party in campaign mode?

8. Pengw1n

Pengw1n Moderately Informed Staff Member

You can run your mp figures as a sp party (where they count as lvl 1 ), instead of purchasing new characters for gold. The use of them in mp - would be the ability to swith your team composition around, if you say want 2 warriors et c.

9. Sunguru

Sunguru Kobold

thanks, but why do I see mp party from sp mode? (and why is it level 1 party?)

10. Pengw1n

Sorry, misedited. It should make more sense now!

11. Kalin

Kalin Begat G'zok

See that "Remove From party" button? Clicking it will move that char to the inactive (left) stack of char sheets. And then you can use the "Add to Party" buttons to add inactive chars to your active party. And you can use the "Store/Retrieve" button to save and load parties so you can switch between them quickly.

12. Sunguru

Sunguru Kobold

Ah, thanks a lot, now I understand

13. Rack

Rack Kobold

Is there any reasonable chance I can win a game with the default party? Aren't I going to get more progress and better gear by winning the campaign than losing multiplayer?

14. Pengw1n

Losing in mp nets you nothing, so yeah - a good assumption there, unless you consider yourself a pretty good player.

15. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

I've cleared all but one adventure with the default SP party (I just haven't had time to try the last one left yet). I finished the main storyline a while back and have been mopping up the rest of the adventures later.

16. Jarmo

Jarmo Snow Griffin

Now I finished the rest of the adventures with the single player party I've been using from the start. I never changed my lineup of a human warrior and wizard and a dwarf priest. The last adventure actually had a hidden follow-up so I ended up clearing two adventures. On to quests, then! Anyway, it's definitely possible to use the same party throughout.

I've gotten fairly decent gear which helps but more it's about learning to think in a cardhuntrian way. In the end I could one-shot adventures with even suboptimal loadouts when I couldn't be bothered to change them.

17. KT Chong

KT Chong Orc Soldier

Is the characters from campaigns and multiplayer interchangeable? i.e., players can use campaign characters in multiplayer and vice versa.

18. pliers

pliers Goblin Champion

They are, but will be automatically made 18 for MP, and won't have their SP gear equipped, or gain experience in MP.

19. KT Chong

KT Chong Orc Soldier

So the gears earned from the single-player campaigns are not shared with multiplayer (or vice versa)? The equipments in campaigns and multiplayer are separated?

20. pliers

pliers Goblin Champion

No, the gear is the same. Sorry for any confusion. Gear won in SP is usable in MP, and vice versa.