Beta Officially Announced as Coming Soon at PAX Prime 2012

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hajeil Sounak, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Althezel

Althezel Mushroom Warrior

Ystin likes this.
  2. mightymushroom

mightymushroom Goblin Champion

I have a great idea to test the servers: just post a link to the PAX demo. I guarantee you'll learn whether they can process the worldwide demand!

3. The_Mormegil

The_Mormegil Mushroom Warrior

Beta! Beta! Beta! Beta!

When will signups really start?

4. Althezel

I would wager that they'll open up sign-ups either by the end of the week or sometime next week, and then they'll start passing out codes in 2-3 weeks.

EDIT: 2-3 Weeks from today, of course.

5. Dugrim

Dugrim Orc Soldier

Amazing! Can't wait to join the Beta! A very good job!

When the Beta will start I think I'll give up all my other games I play: Carte, Faster Than Light and Blood Bowl!

6. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

Is this my most "liked" post on the Card Hunter forum? It might be.

Is this the first post to predict "weeks" instead of "months" when it comes to Card Hunter? It might be.

Though I would "like" "weeks," you know.

Tsu7 likes this.
  7. FalconGK81

FalconGK81 Orc Soldier

Anyone else refreshing CH's main page like a crazy person hoping that maybe this hour is the hour that "coming soon" has been fulfilled, even though you KNOW it's not likely and that fixating on it is only gonna make it seem longer, not shorter?

I feel like I do when I'm anticipating a GRRM novel to be done "soon".

8. Dhramund

Dhramund Mushroom Warrior

That is NOT FUNNY!!!! Please refrain from comparing waiting for this game to waiting on GRRM to finish a novel. I don't want this to stretch on multiple years.

9. Althezel

For some of us, it already has. :eek:

Zoorland and Ystin like this.
  10. Dhramund

I can understand that. However, right now there is an expectation that beta will be here soon. With A Dance With Dragons there was an expectation set that it would be finished soon. Then years stretched on. I am not sure how long the Coming Soon expectation has been put forward with Card Hunter, I would just hate it to see it stretch to GRRM levels from this point. It is for that reason I stay out of the Fandom for that series, even though I am a big fan of his books.

11. FalconGK81

FalconGK81 Orc Soldier

I can't tell if you're being worked up for the LULZ or you're really this incensed, but I assure you I was only comparing my levels of anticipation between the two and not in any way suggesting that the amount of time would be the same.

So if you were kidding, use emoticons or something so I can tell. If not, relax, no one said it was going to take that long, I just said I feel the same level of anticipation.

12. A Bear

A Bear Goblin Champion

I doubt Blu Manchu will string folks along like GRRM has gotten famous for... although that "coming soon" banner has been up for months :oops:

13. Dhramund

I would hope not. However, I do know how thing go in software development. Some things just don't get worked out in the time frames you set.

Not really worked up here. Sarcasm is a hard edge to walk in a written format without being overly obvious. I actually get long winded when I really get worked up. I figured that your anticipation level was the comparison you were going for, not the time factor. I just found your choice of comparison to have an unsavory side. I leave this particular topic with this entertaining bit.

14. Zoorland

Zoorland Goblin Champion

Heh, I remember the last time some of us still thought the Beta would be out in a few weeks... a year ago. :rolleyes:

15. jackie36

jackie36 Kobold

Finally, the beta test will come.... i want to play .gaga:)

16. Sir Knight

Sir Knight Sir-ulean Dragon

By the way . . . what is a "load tester"? I know "load TEST," but that's the term for the overall phenomenon where you get people together to test out your servers. There's some sort of "tester" program involved in measuring the results?

17. Roshirai

Roshirai Goblin Champion

You can automate/simulate server load to a certain extent without ever involving actual users. All the fun of crashing your game's servers without the horde of players suffering from withdrawal syndrome!

Ystin likes this.
  18. Zoorland

Zoorland Goblin Champion

Typical. Just another case of computers taking work away from humans. :mad:

Time to contact the United Human Workers Local 5073.

Ystin likes this.
  19. Dhramund

Why spend time building a "load tester" when you have plenty of monkeys persons here on the forums who could generate load for you for free. You know that you can never use a "load tester" program to perfectly simulate load for the server anyway right? Just seems like a waste of resources to me. ;)

*Crosses fingers and waits patiently in his barrel under his umbrella in the rain.*

20. Unlucky Scarecrow

Unlucky Scarecrow Goblin Champion

The thing is, if they want to see what happens when 1000 people jump on their server, that involves trying to coordinate about 1000 people, which is a huge feat. A simulation program might not be perfect, but it's still much more reliable. :p